Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Forster retires

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
When I saw the thread, my first thought was "f*** me, who's he been playing for? I thought he'd have retired ages ago!"

Turns out he did. :)

Cracking player for us - certainly knew where the goal was.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
I seem to recall him scoring a LOT of one-on-ones despite being 35ish when he joined us. His movement was top class, but equally looking back, League One defenders were often really quite slow/bad.

Jamie Cureton was another who seemed to run defences ragged at that level well into his late 30s.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He has a funny story about Tony Bloom I think just after he became chairman. He offered the players ‘a good bonus’ if you beat Brentford - which we did 3-0. Nicky told the players and they all assumed cash bonuses.

Turns out that bonus was a track day at Goodwood and most players didn’t turn up !

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Sorry. Entered his surname into the search facility and it was the first thread I found that wasn’t about his step son!
If I wasn't so tired (up since 3.30 thanks to a 10 week old that doesn't like to sleep), I'd have realised that Forster must be the best part of 50 by now and therefore very unlikely to still be playing professionally :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We tried to get Forster for ages before he actually arrived, but for some reason never landed him until near the end of his career.

Not Premier League standard but very good at his level, and excellent for us.

One of my favourite players of the last 20 years, was proper pissed off with Poyet for a while when he sidelined him so crudely to play journeymen of the likes of Chris Holroyd. But old Gus proved you had to break a few eggs to make the omelette

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That brief time of Forster and Murray together was pretty great.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
That brief time of Forster and Murray together was pretty great.
Yep. The strike force in one of my all time, if not very favourite Albion games, even after all of the success we've had recently. The 3.1 win away to Southampton in Gus's first game on his birthday. After a period of dross and not knowing what to expect from Gus, those two then ripped the scummers apart! Beautiful!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep. The strike force in one of my all time, if not very favourite Albion games, even after all of the success we've had recently. The 3.1 win away to Southampton in Gus's first game on his birthday. After a period of dross and not knowing what to expect from Gus, those two then ripped the scummers apart! Beautiful!
Got very lucky when I picked Wycombe away twice in as many months, probably only did about 3-4 aways that season;

7th Nov 2009

Wycombe 4 - 4 Brighton
Bennett
Forster
Murray
Murray

and

28th Dec 2009

Wycombe 2 - 5 Brighton
Murray
Forster
Murray
Murray
Murray

The 2-5 also featured snowball fights. A truly wonderful away day.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Only watched it on the telly but yes, that really felt like such a breath of fresh air at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here