Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Forster on JFC & Gus

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Disagree. Baldock has the same hunger, the same self confidence, but is playing against much better defenders than Forster ever did

I think that NF played against defenders as good as SB has for most of his career and scored goals at all levels. The difference being that when given the chance NF usually put them away.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Didn't the rumours suggest that Fozzie was promised the managers job before Gus came onto the scene so was mighty pissed off with the club? Might explain why he hasn't been invited back but as ever could be bollocks

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Disagree. Baldock has the same hunger, the same self confidence, but is playing against much better defenders than Forster ever did

Are the defenders better in the Championship than when Forster played there for Reading then?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would rather have a younger Forster than Baldock any day of the week. I said it at the time and I still maintain that Forster should have been given the nod on whether he was going to get another year or not before waiting till may. El Abd had had his contract dealt with before that time. As For JFC he is going to have to except this season that Hughton is going to mount a promotion challenge this year or certainly season and I am not sure - and more importantly CH is not sure - if he is going to figure regularly enough to keep him happy. He is ok but for top championship team ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A little over the top l think, Don't misunderstand me, l loved Nicky Forster, and agree that he was a great servant to the club over several seasons.

But one of the best strikers we ever signed?, no l don't think so. He was past his best when he signed for us, and don't forget we were playing lower division football in those days too.

I don't think its over the top at all. He was 34 when he joined us, and over the next three years still went on to score 40 in 98 appearances - that counts for me as one of the best strikers we've ever signed. Yes they were mostly in L1, but he played in some ropey old teams in that time and STILL scored consistently - in fact, his goals saved us from L2, including one on the final day that kept us up (Stockport?). He kept himself in good nick, and was a great leader on the pitch as well.

I reckon a Nicky Forster is EXACTLY what this team could do with right now, if only he was 10 years younger.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Stats aren't everything, but Baldock's goal to game ratio on a par with Nicky Forster's.

League only
Forster 189 / 610 (0.309)
Baldock 77 / 242 (0.318)

However, Baldock's goals to game ratio for Brighton is woeful in comparison to Forster's.

League only
Forster 40 / 98 (0.408)
Baldock 5 / 34 (0.148)

... although as has been pointed out, we're not comparing like-with-like regarding the quality of opposition.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
And having just seen his goals again on that video, its a reminder of just how direct and clinical he was, and a stark reminder of exactly what we are lacking right now.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
As a slight aside, I saw a set of stats earlier today regarding Brighton under Hyypia.

Regarding retaining possession, number of passes, accuracy of passes, shots and so on, Brighton were no lower than fifth in the Championship in any cateogry during SH's reign. However for accuracy of shooting, we were bottom.

The last stat I suspect is no surprise at all...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Wouldnt we like to sign a a striker with his goal scoring ability even if he was 34 years old just for this season. This is exactly what Kevin Phillips and Jason Roberts gave to the clubs they played for in their twilight years of their careers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wouldnt we like to sign a a striker with his goal scoring ability even if he was 34 years old just for this season. This is exactly what Kevin Phillips and Jason Roberts gave to the clubs they played for in their twilight years of their careers

We have one

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
£2million fee makes him the worst.

Jamie Moralee was a freebie for the laughs, Damian Hilton too. Not to mention Michael Mahoney-Johnson who ended up at left back!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here