Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NHS says no to new breast cancer drug Kadcyla

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Aid to refugees concerns me not one little bit,however an extra six months for a woman to have with her children is worth every penny.

Not all breast cancer patients have children. It's a very emotive subject, I agree but £90K for each patient is way out of proportion.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
"A pioneering new breast cancer treatment will not be routinely available in England and Wales, the NHS drugs advisory body NICE is proposing.

The drug - Kadcyla - adds six months of life on average to women dying with an aggressive form of breast cancer."

Bloody outrage! Money comes before peoples welfare apprently

Is there any danger of you posting anything that isn't uninformed spiel?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well that's just made my night,£13 million to people I couldn't give a blind cobblers **** about whilst women(with or without children)have been told their life is worth jack shit,Great Britain translates globally as fill yer boots.

Given the choice, I'd rather see £90k go to those 40000 stuck on a mountain in Iraq than giving Doris from Preston another 6 months of life. :shrug:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"A pioneering new breast cancer treatment will not be routinely available in England and Wales, the NHS drugs advisory body NICE is proposing.

The drug - Kadcyla - adds six months of life on average to women dying with an aggressive form of breast cancer."

Bloody outrage! Money comes before peoples welfare apprently

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28701642
Send aid to refugees or give women who are going to die anyway, 6 months more life? If it was a cure for breast cancer, then it would be a no brainer.

Have to agree with this. It is a tough decision to make but to simplistic to say pay for it and bugger everything else. There are many debilitating illnesses where people who are not dying can have their lives considerably enhanced. Are they sacrificed to enable others an just an additional 6 months? It's harsh but it's the way it is. If you don't understand that then you've got a lot of growing up to do.

And before anyone criticises, my dads family were obliterated by cancer and my mother died 4 years ago from it.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Well that's just made my night,£13 million to people I couldn't give a blind cobblers **** about whilst women(with or without children)have been told their life is worth jack shit,Great Britain translates globally as fill yer boots.

You sound like a desperately unpleasant person or (hopefully) one that's just stupid drunk.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
With the amount of money tucked away from everyone other than a select few, you could solve all sorts of problems.

I spent a bit of time at the coppafeel tent at the Wilderness festival today. The founder is going to die, but prolonging her life is worth every penny and more. The same goes for those who are not making an obvious difference.

Foreign aid, bollocks. As ever, the bad guys are being exempted from criticism.

Yoda

English & European

So you would rather spend £13m on a drug for 144 women of only 29 will see the extra 6 months average (One figure missed out on this thread is that it only worked on 1 in 5 cases), than help save the lives of 10,000 people?

Oh! and to balance it out. My mother is due to start treatment for Breast Cancer for the FOURTH time in 20 years later this year.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
THIS is what is wrong with the world.

Greedy pharmaceutical companies patenting life extending/saving drugs which cost a tiny fraction to synthesize compared to what they sell them for. £90,000 is obscene.

If we have to endure this disgusting destructive capitalist economic system, it should be illegal to patent anything which can save lives or improve peoples health....

If the pharmaceutical companies couldn't patent their work then why would they invest millions of dollars to develop such drugs in the first place? You'd end up with no drugs, rather than expensive drugs.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No brainier really,stop foreign aid and give these women six more months with their family's,what's so horrible about that decision?

No brain more like. What about the thousands of other drugs that the NHS has to say no to? If the NHS said yes to all of them taxes would go through the roof. Then the poor would get poorer and there would be more moany threads on here.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Taxes wouldn't have to go up if foreign aid was scrapped.charity begins at home.

Please provide me with figures for foreign aid. I seem to have mislaid them. The NHS budget gets bigger every year. When it started only about half the population lived to the age where they need the most expensive care. Alzheimers and diabetes numbers increase dramatically each year, the answer isn't to keep shoveling in more money.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
£50.8billion for this year,much better spent on NHS or care for elderly.

I googled Foreign Aid budget and found your figure of £50.8billion. On the BNP website.

Meanwhile other sources are £11.4billion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-says-PM-given-poorer-nations-rockets-30.html

Figures from the Office for National Statistics reveal that Britain exceeded Mr Cameron’s controversial foreign aid target for the first time last year, giving away £11.4billion.
Many Tories have criticised the ‘arbitrary’ UN-backed target of spending 0.7 per cent of national income on aid, particularly at a time of austerity at home.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pol...dget-on-wealthy-countries-ministers-told.html

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2014/apr/03/uk-meets-foreign-aid-target

I also hope Simmo Says will forgive me, but it is rare that young women die of breast cancer. It is far more common in women over 50 which is why screening becomes available at that age.
This is the scale of breast cancer mortality ratio to age.
http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/can...ity/uk-breast-cancer-mortality-statistics#age

NICE have to take all that into account when spending tax payers money on new drugs. It's not a decision that I would want to make.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
All the luck in the world to you Tricky, as you say things have hopefully moved on now.

I was in my late twenties when arriving in the ward one evening I was told 'it won't be long now'.
I sat holding my 24 year old wife until she died that evening - not one nurse comforted me.
I had a four year old son who I had to tell the next day.
Makes you grow up very quickly.

That is as bad as it gets. I hope time and having your son helped you over time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here