NFL season 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I watched a replay of the Stanford bowl game last year. Luck looks bloody good!

Any idea of where the RB from Oregon is predicted? (Think his name is Da-something James)

LaMichael James. After his back-to-back-to-back 200 yard games this season, I think his stock is pretty high, but by the 3rd of those games he was carrying it 30 times (!) as opposed to 12 in the first 200+ yard game. I hope they don't look to overwork him, as an injury would really hurt his draft stock.

At the moment, barring injury, or a bad day in Indianapolis, then he looks like a 2nd round pick. I reckon Trent Richardson of Alabama will be the first RB off the board..

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I know it's not NFL but the Oregon Stanford game saturday night should be a cracker, and way more entertaining than last weekends 'Game of The Centrury' in Tuscaloosa.

Agree with Gritt23 re James, he's coming back from the injury quite well, but with De Anthony Thomas lighting it up at the moment and Kenjon Barner chipping in there are other weapons for the Oregon offense to use saturday night.

Luck does look the real deal however, and his final drive in regular time against USC was fantastic in a truly entertaining game. It will be very interesting to see whether the Colts go for him or trade the pick for a squad-wide upgrade.

Anyway Go Ducks!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know it's not NFL but the Oregon Stanford game saturday night should be a cracker, and way more entertaining than last weekends 'Game of The Centrury' in Tuscaloosa.

Do you know if ESPN are showing the game this weekend?

I've had 3 weeks of very little Football on the tellybox as I was at Wembley, then on holiday, and then no Sky for the weekend having just moved house, but it's all fired back up today, so this weekend I will throw myself at as much as I can find including a whole load of college football on Saturday.

Be great if they have the Stanford game on live.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes it is 1am sunday morning, just checked the listings. College Gameday is live from Palo Alto too so Espn are bigging it up already. I don't think it will be 9-6!

I love college football weekends when I can't get to the Albion, it's great fun.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So, assuming the Colts maintain their current "form" through to the end of the season, they have the no.1 overall pick, for a draft that has one of the best QB prospects in a long time. Do they take Andrew Luck, and signal the twilight of Peyton's career, as they surely wouldn't leave Luck on the bench learning for more than a season, or do they look to trade the pick away (and they'll be plenty of takers) on the basis that Manning will be back and has a good few years left in him.

Perhaps, they take Luck and TRADE Manning. It's happened to great QBs before. When Steve Young was sat on the bench, the 49ers sent Montana off to Kansas City, and of course more recently the Packers correctly saw Rodgers as the future and let Favre go off on his will he / won't he retirement journey through New York and Minnesota.

My bet would be they take Luck, as I could see Mannings career being nearly over due to injuries. If he retires this off season, then the future is Luck, whereas if they have both next season then they give themselves a year to assess Luck, then offload Manning as soon as they believe Luck to be the next Aaron Rodgers (in "taking over from a great" not in playing style).
But would Luck want to go to The Colts?

He's definitely holding the cards, and can play teams off against the other.
But how many teams are there that need a QB, over and above anything else.

Colts.
Vikings.
Redskins.
Dolphins?

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Well i really fancied my Fantasy Team this week, I was sure i'd be getting 110-120 odd points when i decided on it, 92 ain't bad but it would have been a lot better had anyone except Brees actually scored a bloody TD! Don't forget its a short week for Fantasy this week chaps, only 2 days to make changes.

And yeah I know i'm biased, and we did enough to win the game so can't say it was pivotal, but surely something has to be done about a coach being able to challenge a play that was only not a catch because of an illegal tackle by one of his players? I love the fact that most decisions are correct in NFL because of the challenge but surely if the ref's are to review a play, they should be able to take into account EVERY factor in the play? Obviously those who saw it will know i'm talking of the Lewis tackle on Ward

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But would Luck want to go to The Colts?

I would say, absolutely, YES! The opportunity to spend a year learning from one of the best QBs of all time. He would be a fool to turn that down, and I don't believe he's a fool.

But how many teams are there that need a QB, over and above anything else.

Colts.
Vikings.
Redskins.
Dolphins?

Colts, yes, IF it's Andrew Luck. He's a prime prospect that you can't pass on IMHO, but if they miss out on him because they finish the season with 4 wins and don't trade up to get him in the draft, then they have other areas of need, and I doubt they would take the 2nd or 3rd QB off the board.

Viking, no. They will go with Ponder. They have other needs, such as needing to replace the Williams Wall that has served them so well for so long.

Redskins, you'd think so wouldn't you, but Shanahan is a difficult man to predict. I would expect them to draft a QB in 2012, but I also expected them to in 2011, but they traded down from 10, when they could have had Gabbert, Ponder, and then took Kerrigan (DE) at 16 when they could have dropped a bit further and picked up Dalton, Kaepernick or Ryan Mallet. Actually, Mallet didn't go until the 3rd Round, so they would have taken that DT (whose name escapes me) with at least Mallet still on the board. It's as if Shanahan just doesn't trust a high round pick on a QB ... not that he even took a "project" in a later round either.

Dolphins, yes, I think they would want a QB, but at their biggest need above all else, I'm not so sure. Henne's injury may just buy him another season as the starter, to see what he has. Wouldn't be a bad idea to bolster the o-line first, as that'll give Bush / Thomas the best chance to take some pressure off the pass, and maybe even give Henne some time to show what he has (or hasn't got).

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Do you know if ESPN are showing the game this weekend?

I've had 3 weeks of very little Football on the tellybox as I was at Wembley, then on holiday, and then no Sky for the weekend having just moved house, but it's all fired back up today, so this weekend I will throw myself at as much as I can find including a whole load of college football on Saturday.

Be great if they have the Stanford game on live.

I use Sky Go so can't get access to ESPN america which is GUTTING. Will have to find TVTeams torrent of it the day after. Have quite a few games to watch through. Always try and watch as many games of Texas and Oregon, but so far have only had the time to watch 3 of the Texas games.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would say, absolutely, YES! The opportunity to spend a year learning from one of the best QBs of all time. He would be a fool to turn that down, and I don't believe he's a fool.
Would Manning want to teach him, though.
It could well be another Farve/Rodgers situation.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Would Manning want to teach him, though.
It could well be another Farve/Rodgers situation.

Exactly, and from the Colts and Lucks perspective what a wonderful situation that would be to repeat. As for Manning, there are 2 possible outcomes;
1. The operations are stacking up on his neck, and he may not want to play on much longer.
2. Ultimately, it's not his call!!

Personally, I think it'll be option 1, with Manning probably have made his mind up already that he's had his last neck operation. If he's looking at a seasons wear and tear brings about the need for another operation, then he may already be thinking next season could be his last. In fact, I wouldn't bet a huge amount of money on Peyton EVER playing again, as I think teh condition could already be serious enough to have him thinking about his long-term health, and walking away.

Hope not, as he's one of the very best I've ever seen, but it comes to them all.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Bad weekend for New York. Giants beaten 27-20 by the 49ers and the Jets have just been hammered 37-16 by the Pats. Rex Ryan desperately wanted to win in front of the home crowd especially with the Pats recent 2 game losing streak. But Ryan reckoned without Brady and Ninkovitch who were just too much on the night. Also the Pats defence really stepped up a few notches. The remaining schedule for the Pats looks like one of the easiest

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But a cracking weekend for my Cowboys. The run game looks here to stay, Ryan has the defence playing to a higher standard than we've seen in years, and Romo is coming into form in November! Get Miles Austin back for the serious end of the season, and we have a whole load of weapons.

Meanwhile, the Giants lost, the Eagles season is now virtually over after another collapse, and that leaves us with a great chance of this division.

Jul 7, 2003
Another unbelievable win for the Broncos - the only team now playing without a quarterback but having a full back to take the ball direct from centre!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fingers crossed the Packers do better than my fantasy team, this week.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Well, that’s the end of the Jets season - beaten 17-13 by the Broncos with a great last minute touchdown by Tim Tebow. So much for Rex Ryan's pledge to get the Jets to the SuperBowl. He really is starting to look like an overated coach

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What a season Tim Tebow is having, amazing stuff. He just keeps finding ways to win.

Not looking forward to this weekend as the Redskins are sure to get pounded by the C*****s, should be ugly viewing in DC.

I shall be consoling myself with the Ducks/USC game on sunday morning for my entertainment fix.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is mentals.
I'm loving everyone saying (inc his own coach):-
'This is the game Tebow gets found out'.

I've cogitated over my Fantasy team, for this week, and I can quite comfortably say I will be the first player to score over 200 points, in one weekend!

Jul 7, 2003
As a Broncos fan I still maintain that Tebow is the third best quarterback we have got - he looks as comfortable throwing the ball as Brezovan does with the ball at his feet. However, the bloke is a winner and somehow, god knows how, he seems to keep us in games. To be honest though, our D is keeping us in games at the moment. For all of the current focus on Tebow, Von Miller has been very impressive in his rookie season and with Dumervil now back to the form he was in before last year's injury, opposing QBs are having a tough time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports