next year

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
It also makes the emergence of young players who are up to the required standard absolutely critical. Anyone who can come through the system is worth their weight in gold, firstly because we don't have to pay a fee for them and secondly because they are sure to be on a very low wage. Bayern Munich have their much-publicised aim of bringing through two players a season and we should be trying to do the same, because this will make a HUGE difference to the playing budget under FFP. Being able to rely on this type of player will free up money to use elsewhere. We've made a superb start this season with Ince and March, who both look to be Championship standard players, but we need to do it again next year.

I agree bringing through players from the DS squad is key to our future and I believe it's one of the reasons why Tony Bloom has been willing to invest so much money in the new training ground/academy, As I've already posted I can see Walton making the step up to no.3 keeper next season and there's a few options for another player to become the 2nd player to step up.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Are we talking about his contractual wage with Wolves or the contribution that the Albion make as I don't know whether we are paying the lot or not. Bearing in mind that Bridge was reportedly on about £80k when he was with us albeit that we were contributing a fraction of that and is now reportedly on £30k with Reading shows that you can negotiate wages down, especially when that players contract was originally signed when their parent club were in the premiership!!

I agree, which is why we need to negociate from an informed position of the value there is around. Truthfully, if Bridge is on 30k a week, that's 20k more than we should (with no parachute payments) be looking to pay at the very,very, very top end for a Championship LB.

I'd like to see Ward stay, I think he's been one of our best players this season but there may well be someone else out there as good who'll take less money.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I suspect this season Albion will fall just short so there needs to be changes. I think the following probably need to go

Orlandi - lovely footballer but too slow for a team already lacking in pace
Agustien - just hasn't worked
Forster Caskey - not up to a leading championship side with Premiership pretensions
Hoskins - not quite good enough though difficult to tell on limited games
Rodriguez - not good enough on current evidence
Obika - back to spurs
Lopez - might keep as a utility back up player (played well at full back last year)
Stephens - limited on current evidence but might prove himself by end of season

These leaving would create the necessary budget to bring in a couple of fast mid field players and one more striker of high quality. That would move Brighton towards a team capable of reaching for automatic promotion. Quality rather than quantity should be the watchword

Of all on that list I can't imagine why you would want Orlandi to go, his season has barely started and he's shown time and again he can do it at this level. Hard as it is to believe, pace isn't everything, especially for a creative player (arguably he's our best one in that regard).

Stephens looks decent, as does Rodriguez. Considering that they've just joined surely some slack is allowed.

JFC is still young, which, whilst not everything, is certainly a reason to keep hold of him. Not many can be comfortable midfielders at his age and this level.

Hoskins I'd like to see given a go and Aguestien, Lopez and Obika...yeah, can see them going to free up some of the bill.

I think my biggest concern is that whilst threads will now start popping up suggesting clearouts, who exactly will be replacing those we lose? We know from looking around the division that we won't be financially competing with the 'big boys' (sanity in the boardroom thankfully) so surely that limits our options somewhat.

He seems to have done it with Obika as prior to his appointment nobody had suggested Obika.

Nobody had suggested it where? It may have been mentioned inside the club, unless you know for sure it wasn't?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Are you serious or on a wind up Kuszczak is the best keeper we have had during my 65 years of supporting the club by a long way and if any player is irreplaceable it is him.

You must have been on holiday when Dave Hollins was playing, then.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He's very good but as for saying he's the best we've had in 65 years is debatable as we've had some very good keepers over the years, For all his good points he still has problems with his distribution and at times he's very slow to come and claim a ball which causes confusion with his central defenders. I used to think it was something between him and Greer but I've noticed he's done similar with Upson as well. On one hand it would be shame to lose him in the summer but as others have said there are a lot of good keepers around, It wouldn't surprise me to see both Kuszczak and Ankergren leave with Big Brez staying as number 2, Walton promoted to number 3 and a new first choice keeper signed.
Without wishing to contradict you harshly who would you class equal to him possibly Eric Gill at a lower level or even Moseley The likes of Grummett Corrigan Beasant were probably better in their prime but they came to us at the tail end of their career when they were on the downward path. The rest do not come close not even Roberts or the favourite Kuipers.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Koosh is the best keeper I have seen at the Albion in my 30 years watching, by a country mile

thats not to say there a not other very good keepers available for less money.

Ah ! Too young to have seen Dave Hollins. TK is a very good keeper and I'd prefer he stayed, though agree there may be other, cheaper options..............somewhere.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I suspect this season Albion will fall just short so there needs to be changes. I think the following probably need to go

Forster Caskey - not up to a leading championship side with Premiership pretensions
Obika - back to spurs
Lopez - might keep as a utility back up player (played well at full back last year)

These leaving would create the necessary budget to bring in a couple of fast mid field players and one more striker of high quality. That would move Brighton towards a team capable of reaching for automatic promotion. Quality rather than quantity should be the watchword

Give Stephens a chance FFS!

Orlandi and Lopez should definitely be retained imo.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Without wishing to contradict you harshly who would you class equal to him possibly Eric Gill at a lower level or even Moseley The likes of Grummett Corrigan Beasant were probably better in their prime but they came to us at the tail end of their career when they were on the downward path. The rest do not come close not even Roberts or the favourite Kuipers.

Beeney was a damn good keeper, Grummitt, Roberts and even players like Corrigan and Beasant who may have been past their prime still showed their class, As I said I like the big Pole but it's debatable as to whether he's been the best.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
I haven't seen the OP's 9 previous posts but are they full of garbage as well?

If you are going to insult people it's worth trying to do it with a bit of humour (see Oscar Wilde). Otherwise it just looks a bit pathetic which I'm sure you're not

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think it is the fastest Albion team I have ever seen. Buckley and Lualua are so fast it makes the rest look slow.

All permanent signings should be players aged 24 and under. Reserves can be older.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I agree with this too.

TK is a really good keeper. There are a lot of really good keepers out there though, and plenty of them command significantly lower wages. It makes me laugh how every time we fail to win at home, you'll see posters talking about the opposition keeper having had the game of his life. They've not - they are GOOD. They perform well consistently.

Even just this last game - the shot for the first Wigan goal was almost IDENTICAL to Buckley's shot late on. Al Habsi saved ours. ('Game of his LIFE, etc)

I agree with you too, and think that the bold bit is a good spot.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Beeney was a damn good keeper, Grummitt, Roberts and even players like Corrigan and Beasant who may have been past their prime still showed their class, As I said I like the big Pole but it's debatable as to whether he's been the best.

Mark Beeney is still my favourite keeper, absolute class.

TK would be up there but for his distribution which is not even as good as Brez's.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just as an aside, I'm not sure TK's distribution really suits the way that OG wants to play either. He's too ponderous and prone to innaccuracy. It would be a brave call to let him go but let's not kid ourselves there aren't other decent keepers out there because there are. Leeds have just got a fantastic one in on loan.

I'm with you all the way on this about Top Kat's distribution. I can't believe that he's chalked up some many Champions League appearances, given the way this side of his game has been this season.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Now seen enough of Walton to believe that he can step up as No 2 keeper. If PIG decides to leave, there will be plenty of other decent keepers around that would replace. He has been good but seems keen to play at the highest level, although not sure where he would be a number 1?

There are potentially in my opinion another 2 or three development squad players who could come through by next season, if they keep on developing. My tip for a bench polace next season is Glen Rea. Plays at the back and is very comfortable on the ball, reminds me of Lawrenson.

Plenty of decisions on contracts to be made, but still everything to play for in the Cup & League, don't understand all the negativity.

Still in my opinion both Casper and Brezz can be released, Ward to be signed if wage demands are within reason. I would think he would be keen as noe back in Ireland squad.

Orlandi Keep
Forster-Caskey still young, but does lack pace, i would still keep him.
Spanish Rodeny and Dave sadly let both go
Andrews no
Obik No
Stephens best game so far saturday, can't believe he is on the list to go.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It also makes the emergence of young players who are up to the required standard absolutely critical. Anyone who can come through the system is worth their weight in gold, firstly because we don't have to pay a fee for them and secondly because they are sure to be on a very low wage. Bayern Munich have their much-publicised aim of bringing through two players a season and we should be trying to do the same, because this will make a HUGE difference to the playing budget under FFP. Being able to rely on this type of player will free up money to use elsewhere. We've made a superb start this season with Ince and March, who both look to be Championship standard players, but we need to do it again next year.

Next season: Chicksen and Walton?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Clearly this thread is ridiculous and bollocks, so I'm posting just to say that Andrea is, perhaps, the second best footballer I've ever seen play for us and the idea of getting rid of him because he's not quick enough defies belief.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He seems to have done it with Obika as prior to his appointment nobody had suggested Obika.

Do you mean nobody on here suggested it, or do you work with NJ, Oscar, Burke and PB?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Just as an aside, I'm not sure TK's distribution really suits the way that OG wants to play either. He's too ponderous and prone to innaccuracy. It would be a brave call to let him go but let's not kid ourselves there aren't other decent keepers out there because there are. Leeds have just got a fantastic one in on loan.

Saturday especially

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Obika - back to spurs

You know **** all :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports