Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

next year

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
how do people know ulloa and big pole will leave at the end of season

I don't know anymore then you know they will stay but it wouldn't surprise me if PIG was not picked up on a free by a lower premiership side. I think Lua Lua will fancy having a go somewhere else where he may start more games.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Brian Clough always said that to be succesful you need the spine of the team to be right a good keeper central defender and striker right through the middle and at the moment we have that in TK, Upson and Ulloa. He slso said when he signed Shilton the difference a good keeper made was worth 20 points a season.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Agree re Forster-Caskey, don't know why people get hung up on age, you are either good enough or not, and I don't think he is good enough for a top championship team. Wouldn't get in the top 6's first elevens

There's this mad thing that happens in life where people aren't frozen in time at the same standard forever, it's a crazy thought but I'm sure people tend to get better as they get older and more experienced. JFC was an England youth international, he's not quite top 6 standard at the moment (aged 20) but there's a good chance he will be aged 22 or 23. The same goes for Ince and March, but mabye we should just get rid of them all and bring in some of those top 6 midfielders that grow on trees :facepalm:

The OP has been playing too much football manager.

Last edited:

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
FFS.......what a load of Mystic Meg Crepe. What a feckin daft thread, not through this season yet and the prophets of doom are circling. I wish I was nice enough to feel sorry for the minority of weak willed scaremongers on NSC.

I'm not going to prophesy anything other than my beloved BHA is in the very, very capable hands of TB and PB. And in them I have faith. Whoever we lose will be replaced if that's what it takes.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
FFS.......what a load of Mystic Meg Crepe. What a feckin daft thread, not through this season yet and the prophets of doom are circling. I wish I was nice enough to feel sorry for the minority of weak willed scaremongers on NSC.

I'm not going to prophesy anything other than my beloved BHA is in the very, very capable hands of TB and PB. And in them I have faith. Whoever we lose will be replaced if that's what it takes.

I think I just thumbsed down when I meant to thumbs up.

I would include OG in the "we're in good hands" bit.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suspect this season Albion will fall just short so there needs to be changes. I think the following probably need to go

Orlandi - lovely footballer but too slow for a team already lacking in pace. Agreed good player. Need to keep our good players.

Agustien - just hasn't worked Agreed.

Forster Caskey - not up to a leading championship side with Premiership pretensions. He is very young. I would keep.

Hoskins - not quite good enough though difficult to tell on limited games. I was there when he tore us apart at Bristol. Unfortunately he will never be fit enough for us, which is a great shame. Regretably, I wrote him off last season.

Rodriguez - not good enough on current evidence. Still early days.

Obika - back to spurs. Yes. He was only a stop gap player. Not sure he deserves the hatred that was reserved for Barnes at the moment.

Lopez - might keep as a utility back up player (played well at full back last year). Funnily enough, I wouldn't keep.

Stephens - limited on current evidence but might prove himself by end of season. Good grief. In the (very) few games I have seen him play, he has been alright.

These leaving would create the necessary budget to bring in a couple of fast mid field players and one more striker of high quality. That would move Brighton towards a team capable of reaching for automatic promotion. Quality rather than quantity should be the watchword

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
There's this mad thing that happens in life where people aren't frozen in time at the same standard forever, it's a crazy thought but I'm sure people tend to get better as they get older and more experienced. JFC was an England youth international, he's not quite top 6 standard at the moment (aged 20) but there's a good chance he will be aged 22 or 23. The same goes for Ince and March, but mabye we should just get rid of them all and bring in some of those top 6 midfielders that grow on trees :facepalm:

The OP has been playing too much football manager.

Yep I agree with all that, what I am saying is: he isn't good enough. Ince and March are already much further ahead than JFC development wise and have been around the first team for much less.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Yep I agree with all that, what I am saying is: he isn't good enough. Ince and March are already much further ahead than JFC development wise and have been around the first team for much less.

But the question is will he ever be good enough? Bearing in mind he is 20 next month.

I disagree about him not being good enough anyway. I keep saying it on these threads, I don't know what people expect of him. He rarely makes a mistake, works hard and does the simple stuff well. He just hasn't been having a big effect on games recently i.e scoring or creating goals and I think this is why he gets criticised.

I'm not saying he's a world beater but I think he's worth his position at the moment i.e sometimes bench and getting a game when the midfield needs rotating.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
But the question is will he ever be good enough? Bearing in mind he is 20 next month.

I disagree about him not being good enough anyway. I keep saying it on these threads, I don't know what people expect of him. He rarely makes a mistake, works hard and does the simple stuff well. He just hasn't been having a big effect on games recently i.e scoring or creating goals and I think this is why he gets criticised.

I'm not saying he's a world beater but I think he's worth his position at the moment i.e sometimes bench and getting a game when the midfield needs rotating.

I don't think anyone is saying he is not a decent player. However Albion have too many "decent" midfield players- Forster Caskey, Andrews, Lopez, Orlandi, Stephens and not enough that can impact a game. Given a limited budget they need to concentrate their firepower on fewer but better players

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Lots of knee jerking going on here.

I suspect this season Albion will fall just short so there needs to be changes. I think the following probably need to go

Orlandi - lovely footballer but too slow for a team already lacking in pace (still coming back from a long term sickness - a gem)
Agustien - just hasn't worked (agree)
Forster Caskey - not up to a leading championship side with Premiership pretensions (give him one more season - no need to get rid)
Hoskins - not quite good enough though difficult to tell on limited games (needs games, looking forward to his return)
Rodriguez - not good enough on current evidence (I think he's been good, been out of football for 3 months prior to this)
Obika - back to spurs (well, obvs)
Lopez - might keep as a utility back up player (played well at full back last year) (I'd hate to see him go but he will)
Stephens - limited on current evidence but might prove himself by end of season (played very very well the first half of Wigan, and I think a good purchase - still getting used to a new team)

These leaving would create the necessary budget to bring in a couple of fast mid field players and one more striker of high quality. That would move Brighton towards a team capable of reaching for automatic promotion. Quality rather than quantity should be the watchword

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Can I ask have you actually watched him in the flesh? A very clever player who's only going to improve each match.

Yes I watch every home game and his "cleverness" has passed me by I'm afraid. He seems to me just another average midfield player. Nothing wrong in that but not what is needed at the moment. I think it is striking how many of the good sides (I remember Forest in particular) have midfield players that are quick and can run at defences. We need one or two of them

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Can I ask have you actually watched him in the flesh? A very clever player who's only going to improve each match.

The knives are out for Stephens, the Nathan Jones mafia are desperate to see him fail. I still haven't had a satisfactory response to what it is they think Jones is doing wrong.

As for Stephens, undoutedly had his best game for us Saturday, he's got better every game so far as you'd expect from a new player who has moved mid-season. I have a good feeling about him.

TCB makes an excellent point about VALUE above. That's how you structure a team on FFP. Hypothetically would you want Bridge on 20k a week (undoubtedly the better player) or Ward on 10k a week? I'd argue that in FFP terms it's the latter, a LB isn't massively important to the team. His point about TK is correct, if we can get someone in who's 80% as good for 50% of the money and then spend that money on other positions that need strenthening, brilliant.

This is where the DS comes in handy as well, you tend to pay players you bring through less than players you sign. Therefore the point on JFC seems a bit silly, I suspect that in comparison to other members of the squad we are paying him peanuts. I'd imagine Agustein/Andrews/Orlandi are on at least 4x what JFC earns so who's the best value there?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Are you serious or on a wind up Kuszczak is the best keeper we have had during my 65 years of supporting the club by a long way and if any player is irreplaceable it is him.

A good team is built from the back and there is none better in this division, unless Palace release Speroni, he would be a good replacement if he did leave

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here