Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next Season Parking

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I'm gutted that coldean/moulescoomb will be unavailable next season.

i live in queens park and have used the racecourse p&r twice this year. The first time the bus was so run down that it couldn't make the hill by the old sunblest bakery. everyone had to get off and it eventually made it. the journey took an hour. The second time it took 55 minutes to get from the racecourse to the ground because of traffic on the same stretch of road so I got in the ground bang on kick off (I would have liked to have spent my money on beer and pies but it wasn't to be). I've tried the trains and they're no better. No idea what will prove viable next year.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Sorry I don't know your circumstances. As a bit of context to my previous post, I drive from South Wales to games (probably only been ten times this season) and use the race hill p&r. Another thirty minutes waiting for me is neither here or there, since I know a match pretty much wipes out the whole day.

I'm probably not the best person to be commenting on this thread tbh.

:)

Sorry but you are exactly the right person to comment; your reasonableness and acceptance of the travel "difficulties" puts into perspective a lot of the gripes on this thread from people who have a far less arduous journey. Yes, there will be a few who are constrained by personal circumstances but there are nearly always alternatives for the vast majority. 1/2 hour or even 5 minutes added to a journey? Time for a bloody good moan.

I'm gutted that coldean/moulescoomb will be unavailable next season.

i live in queens park and have used the racecourse p&r twice this year. The first time the bus was so run down that it couldn't make the hill by the old sunblest bakery. everyone had to get off and it eventually made it. the journey took an hour. The second time it took 55 minutes to get from the racecourse to the ground because of traffic on the same stretch of road so I got in the ground bang on kick off (I would have liked to have spent my money on beer and pies but it wasn't to be). I've tried the trains and they're no better. No idea what will prove viable next year.

i live in QP too and have used the racecourse for most games, usually taking about 15 mins.

On one occasion I left about 2:20 and took about 35 minutes mainly because the Falmer road was blocked by twats driving to drop people off instead of using the P and R. If they had stuck to the buses everyone would have got there in half the time and with less stress.

Bike lanes work well once you have let the crowds disperse. Shame about the climb back up Southover Street!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
You Queens Park people, how about checking out the no 23 bus? Door to door, admittidly Lewes Road is currently a nightmare but the digging can't go on forever, can it?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry but you are exactly the right person to comment; your reasonableness and acceptance of the travel "difficulties" puts into perspective a lot of the gripes on this thread from people who have a far less arduous journey. Yes, there will be a few who are constrained by personal circumstances but there are nearly always alternatives for the vast majority. 1/2 hour or even 5 minutes added to a journey? Time for a bloody good moan.

u can shove me in the constrained by personal circumstances bit!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
thanks for doing that. i travel down from bucks and park at a mate who lives in woodingdean. that path would sort all kinds of problems - and not just on match days. looking forward to hearing a response - though i suspect not a fast one!

Dear Mr TLO

Thank you for your email regarding Falmer Road bridleway: Planning application no. SDNP/12/01035/FUL

We have appointed a company to produce a detailed design for the project and we will need to await the outcome of archaeological investigations and Road Safety Audit. If all goes to plan construction should start in June.

Regards

Tim Squire
Rights of Way and Access Officer
South Downs National Park Authority
etc.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dear Mr TLO

Thank you for your email regarding Falmer Road bridleway: Planning application no. SDNP/12/01035/FUL

We have appointed a company to produce a detailed design for the project and we will need to await the outcome of archaeological investigations and Road Safety Audit. If all goes to plan construction should start in June.

Regards

Tim Squire
etc.

good news

You can already walk along the bridleway from Sunblest to Falmer. Need a decent pair of shoes and a torch for the trip back, but quicker than driving and safer than cycling!

23 bus only recommended if you are arriving about an hour early!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
l'm sorry but l've been reading this thread with a growing sense of agitation.

Ok so l accept that everbody's case is different, but why oh why are so many people banging on about how unfair it is that they aren't able to park, free of charge at that, at Coldean, Moulsecomb et al close to the stadium?. People have a choice, either park at the uni or Bennett's Field for a fee, or use one of the park & rides from Mill Road, Mithras House or the Racecourse, free of charge.

Thats it, simples, rant over.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
Dear Mr TLO

Regards

Tim Squire
etc.

Excellent - thanks for doing that. can't believe it will take long to lay - so just about in time for the new season

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Ok so l accept that everbody's case is different, but why oh why are so many people banging on about how unfair it is that they aren't able to park, free of charge at that, at Coldean, Moulsecomb et al close to the stadium?. People have a choice, either park at the uni or Bennett's Field for a fee, or use one of the park & rides from Mill Road, Mithras House or the Racecourse, free of charge.

or park legally on a public road without being herded

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011

It's a 20 minute walk from the stadium FFS it's total nonsense
It's only a few that complain about it but get there own way with these permits to at the end of the day
stop legal street parking
Most normal people would just deal with it and be happy the club has a new home
Btw I park in the bridge road car park before anyone starts

or park legally on a public road without being herded

There's nothing actually stopping anyone parking in Coldean or Moulescoomb, it's just that from next season instead of the club being fined because those parking there knowingly continue to put the club in breach of the stadium planning consents, the driver will be.

Last edited:

It's only a few that complain about it but get there own way with these permits to at the end of the day

The cpz's/resident's permits are a secondary issue; the public consultations in Coldean and Moulsecoomb were triggered by the breaching of the planning consent. Had the resident's not voted in favour of the cpz's then the default position would have seen the club continue to be fined.

For me the two aren't that comparable.

The people who jumped on trains without buying vouchers were in effect stealing, the same as if done on any day of the week. Illegal.

The people that park in Coldean/Moulsecombe have tax on the car and as long as parked correctly is Legal.

The matchday situation on the trains is not quite the same as on any other day as Southern get paid anyway. I think it's a flat rate based on the crowd numbers and the audited percentage that normally travel by train to the game. Say £3(incVAT) and a crowd of 28,000 would see them getting £42k. Like the parking at C&M, the action of some fans results in additional cost to the club.

We currently park at Sussex Uni and are contemplating a move to Bridge car park. Any comments from you or other users of Bridge would be appreciated: It's general use, ease of getting in and out (from/to beyond Lewes).

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
New Brighton and Hove Albion parking scheme could reduce traffic

A residents’ parking scheme around the Amex stadium is being introduced in an attempt to reduce congestion on match day.

Only residents will be allowed to park in roads in Coldean and Moulsecoomb from June.

Permits will be free for homeowners and they will also be able to buy up to 25 one-day visitor permits each year at a cost of £2.60 each.

In the areas, business, school and carer permits will also be introduced without charge, and disabled residents with Blue Badges are able to park without a permit.

The scheme was approved by Brighton and Hove City Council on Tuesday evening.

The plan was backed by representatives of Sussex Police, Brighton and Hove Bus Company, as well as local councillors.

But some residents complained the scheme could displace parking and affect people visiting the area.

Councillor Ian Davey, chairman of the city’s transport committee, said the plan would make life easier for residents who live near the stadium.

The scheme will cost up to £153,000 to set up and £57,000 a year to run, which will be funded by the football club.

----------------

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
We currently park at Sussex Uni and are contemplating a move to Bridge car park. Any comments from you or other users of Bridge would be appreciated: It's general use, ease of getting in and out (from/to beyond Lewes).

Funny enough I'm going the other way. I used the Uni first season and the Bridge this but I'm going back to the Uni for the next one. I found the Uni easier to park and get away from and most of the time if you park in car parks 3, 4 or 5, a bit nearer than the Bridge. The Bridge is fine for early leavers but if you leave at the end of the match I've had anything up to a 30 minute wait because of people walking down from the ground and holding up the cars leaving. I always managed to drive out straight away from the Uni so I'm giving it another go.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Is there any confirmed news about a new park and ride near the A23 at Hickstead yet for next season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here