• Absolutely anyone at all other than Boris Johnson

Votes: 354 76.8%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
is some form of national service really a bad idea? doesnt need to be military, can be other forms of directed involvment in projects across country.

I think that teaching people that they have a responsibility to society could be a very positive thing. But I am nearly 60 and I think my answer at 18 may have been a little different :wink:

*edit* And seeing the post above, I would think that the kids that get off their arses and arrange protests about things that seriously impact their futures would be very good at it.

It’s the ones who sit on their arses all day having been given the best opportunities and then moan and whine about people who have had far less opportunity outperforming them at every turn.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"National Identity Benefits"

Haven't heard anything that sinister for ages. Sounds like management speak for a round of pogroms.

However, no point arguing with those who consider habitual racist poster boys as "national treasures".

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think that teaching people that they have a responsibility to society could be a very positive thing. But I am nearly 60 and I think my answer at 18 may have been a little different :wink:

*edit* And seeing the post above, I would think that the kids that get off their arses and arrange protests about things that seriously impact their futures would be very good at it.

It’s the ones who sit on their arses all day having been given the best opportunities and then moan and whine about people who have had far less opportunity outperforming them at every turn.

Yes, undoubtedly you may well have thought differently aged 18, but whose judgement would you back for the national good -yours at 60 or yours at 18? Just because you suspect that 18 year olds might not be keen does not mean that the idea doesn't have merit. as to your second para -good at what?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Apart from the political, economical and national identity benefits, threads like this would end and we could all get back to a (fairly) united front in supporting the Albion...

Political? The politics of the country right now, doesnt bode well for the future.
Economical? Leaving the largest, and richest trading block on earth, we are somehow going to be better off??
National Identity? What sort of nonsense is that? The British will stay British, the French will stay French, the Germans will stay German?

Yeah, Supported for years. Cant wait for season to start gain.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Funny that.Load of blokes ganging up on a lady poster,but you can't see it.???

Ganging up? Whats wrong with you people? I was talking to a leaver recently on here. A remainer joined the discussion. According to him, thats
ATTACKING, in PACKS, in a RAGE.

ooh the DRAMA

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, undoubtedly you may well have thought differently aged 18, but whose judgement would you back for the national good -yours at 60 or yours at 18? Just because you suspect that 18 year olds might not be keen does not mean that the idea doesn't have merit. as to your second para -good at what?

Very briefly - I think you are an idiot.

But I'm afraid I'm out at the moment and don't have time to answer fully.

Maybe tomorrow, if I can be arsed :wave:

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Latest bell end suggestion is Rory Stewart to bring back National Service for 16 year olds. Is there no beginning to this rancid bunch's talents ???
Could use a few thousand to steward the lorry parks that will be needed in Kent if BJ or some other idiot drives through a no-deal brexit. It's not like we have any police spare

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Very briefly - I think you are an idiot.

But I'm afraid I'm out at the moment and don't have time to answer fully.

Maybe tomorrow, if I can be arsed :wave:

I have followed your responses over time on the Brexit thread, and this absurd response confirms everything I suspected about you - intolerant, naïve and with your readiness to insult, childish and immature in the extreme.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Rory Stewart is the only one of the candidates to speak sense and have some grasp of the reality we are in. Sadly that means he has no chance of securing the backing of a majority of party members

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
A bloke I spoke to in Portslade told me that Brexit will open trade with Africa. Wow. The entire continents GDP is less than France I read recently. I just do not see the logic in any economical argument. Leaving the richest, and largest trading bloc in the world, to trade with the rest of the world that is mostly in poverty.
I wouldnt trust a single British politician at the moment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Boris Johnson and Rees Mogg. A stupid person's idea of what "posh and clever" people look like.

You know your place....

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I saw in the Peterborough by election that less than half the people bothered to vote, which is shocking. I think that sums up the nations attitude to politics and MP’s at the moment.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Seeing as you got posh people issues , what Party would you like to see running the Country ?
Ha, ha.

Quite obviously not posh people issues at all. I'm not interested in anyone's background, just their ability.

Both Rees Mogg and Boris play on the classic British obsession with class. This leads to stupid people to vote for them on the basis they speak Latin and therefore MUST be clever.

As for which party to lead, I'm assuming you think because I've seen through Boris, I'm a Labour supporter.

I'm not.

Both parties are ****ed, as is the electorial system.

The party in power is decided by a minority in marginal seats. A new PM (who will inevitably take the country in a different direction) will be decided by an anonymous 150,000 outside of a general election.

And some choose to lecture others on what democracy is and class the EU as undemocratic compared to our democracy.

That would be a stupid person's idea of what democracy looks like or as they like to say "taking back control".

****wits.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
is some form of national service really a bad idea? doesnt need to be military, can be other forms of directed involvment in projects across country.

Yep it could include environmental duties like clearing plastics and rubbish from our beaches to prevent the pollution of our seas.

If people aren't following an academic route and they drop out of education it would stop some falling completely out of the system and making bad life choices. Learning to get out of bed before midday, making your bed, cleaning your clothes and cook are quite good disciplines.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A bloke I spoke to in Portslade told me that Brexit will open trade with Africa. Wow. The entire continents GDP is less than France I read recently. I just do not see the logic in any economical argument. Leaving the richest, and largest trading bloc in the world, to trade with the rest of the world that is mostly in poverty.
I wouldnt trust a single British politician at the moment.

The EU doesn't restrict who we do trade with on the international stage anyway so Brexit wouldn't suddenly allow us to do this. France have a railway modernisation contract in Egypt and are in the EU: https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/32842/Thales-Group-ENR-to-modernize-180-km-long-railway-in

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep it could include environmental duties like clearing plastics and rubbish from our beaches to prevent the pollution of our seas.

If people aren't following an academic route and they drop out of education it would stop some falling completely out of the system and making bad life choices. Learning to get out of bed before midday, making your bed, cleaning your clothes and cook are quite good disciplines.

The problem with that is that it gets associated with the uneducated, but I broadly agree if applied to everyone. National service doesn't have to mean learning to fire a gun either.

I support a system where people do some form of civic duty, but it has to be at the same level. You can't have the system I had at school where someone's parents managed to wrangle "work experience" at the White House :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Gove will pull out of the race next.

Gove.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rory Stewart is the only one of the candidates to speak sense and have some grasp of the reality we are in. Sadly that means he has no chance of securing the backing of a majority of party members

Hearing this more and more from people, but its not them that decide. This will be the first time a PM has been put straight into power by party members

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here