Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
When Ed Miliband allowed new members a vote, Momentum flooded in and took over the party. Even Tories were joining and voting for Corbyn. I think Labour are now one more bad appointment away from becoming obsolete.

Which (it seems to me) is the only reason Corbym won the leadership election - many non-Labour people joined the party simply to vote him in. It was a piss-take.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
The Blairites have spent decades expelling people from the LP that they felt were a threat to their power and control - since Corbyn was elected leader the Blairite bureaucracy have either expelled or refused membership to over 170,000 people - because they were supporters of Corbyn and his policies.

In political life there are two key democratic processes - the right of party members to select the candidate that is representing the party - and the right to decide policy through an annual conference and demand that political representatives implement these policies - the Blairites have demonstrated an utter contempt for the democratic process within the LP since the 1980s. Corbyn should now struggle to democratise the LP against the Blairites.

Those who are not members of the LP can then decide whether to support them or not - in the knowledge of the policies of the LP are and that those who are elected will implement those policies - and that is how the political process should operate.

The shambles that occurred yesterday is the result of a number of factors -
1. Corbyn failing to stick to his Leave position and caving into the Blairites on the issue of Brexit
2. The Blairites sabotaging the election campaign - those who were not standing spending large sums on advertising telling voters not to vote for Corbyn - and many those who were standing telling people that they wouldn't support Corbyn for PM
3. This has been the culmination of 3 years of active sabotage by the Blairites
4. A disgraceful, deceitful and scurrilous propaganda campaign against Corbyn accusing him of racism and anti-semitism (and a whole load of other crap besides) - not surprising given that most of the media in Britain is owned by billionaires.
5. Momentum also bear some responsibility for failing to build a mass, campaigning opposition to the Blairites, instead spending a lot of their time attacking others on the left who supported Corbyn.

As for 'listening to the people' - this is a soundbite - Corbyn's policies of defending the NHS, re-nationalising public services, defending education, reversing the austerity cuts etc - are popular among working class people - this election was not about those policies - it was about 'getting brexit done'.

It sounds to me that like most of the Labour Politicians I've seen and heard on the TV, you're understandably in a state of denial.

By all means continue to promote the same policies if you choose to, but if you always do what you've always done, and expect a different result, then you'll always be disappointed.

I voted for Blair twice, but no way would I ever vote for a an extreme left party led by Corbyn or any of his cronies.
LB has simply lost its way.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
80341206_10158218190485757_5775265355530240000_n.jpg

Interesting. What percentage of the total votes cast did those votes reflect?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Ken Livingston’s agrees with you (LBC this morning). Apparently Labour did nothing wrong and the answer is to ‘regulate’ the internet and the printed press. A lady rang in to say she has been blind from birth and has never read or even picked up a newspaper and she did not vote Labour. She and I’m sure plenty of others listening felt rather patronized by this line that we are all brainwashed. Labour is beginning to resemble a cult, with its advocates feeling they are revealers of truth.

I love the fact that he feels the ‘free’ press & media should be regulated (censored) in order to get his weird currently irrelevant party into government! I mean don’t they do that in China, Russia and TPRNK ?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
All efforts should be made to get Momentum out of the party but with the unions supporting them that's a big ask.o

Doesn't that succinctly summarise why people have moved away from Labour? They aren't able to control their own destiny.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Next leader has to be Keir Starmer shirley? This is not the time to appoint the first female leader just for the sake of appointing the first female leader. Labour just getting shot of some grey nonentity. Really no need to appoint another just to conform to tokenism. Leader should (always) be appointed purely on quality. IMHO, like.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Next leader has to be Keir Starmer shirley?

of a centre left party? sure. of Labour with Momentum controlling the party and the membership entralled to nationalisation and limitless spending? not happening.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Not sure Starmer, a middle-class, trendy London based Remainer who led the charge for the second referendum policy would be best placed to reconnect with all those Northern, working class, leave voting, ex-Labour seats ..

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not sure Starmer, a middle-class, trendy London based Remainer who led the charge for the second referendum policy would be best placed to reconnect with all those Northern, working class, leave voting, ex-Labour seats ..

Tony Blair did and he was all of the above.
We’ll have left in the minds of those Labour voters so Brexit won’t be an issue (although we’ll be still agreeing trade deals well in to the next government’s tenure.)

After 5 years of Boris, Labour will just need someone central with integrity and good Leadership qualities. Kyle or Starmer

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
My Christmas tree has a big red star on it, doesn’t mean it’s Marxist.

I don’t think that’s official Labour Party literature, anyway.

:needpics: Does it have a hammer and sickle motif running through it?Perhaps Red Giant could clear up if it's official?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Got to agree with this.
I have said this previously, and I, for one, have no idea what his political views are besides the fact that he is a fanatical remainer.
Hmm, Sir Keir Starmer from Islington reconnecting with the traditional Labour supporters outside the metropolis and NSC, perhaps not, but who knows?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Think Momentum has had it's day, to be honest. It's day was sometime around 1970

Given that Labour have just suffered their biggest electoral rogering in history and lost seats in places that should be impossible for them to lose, I just like the beautiful irony of the name 'Momentum.'

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

If Boris f***s up Brexit then Starmer is ideal. If Boris makes a success of it Labour wouldn’t get in for the next 20 years anyway. And let’s not forget that Boris is a trendy London remainer. He’s just good at lying.

Noticeable that the two on here opposing Starmer are Tories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here