Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next general election (Dec 24?)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What about an annual wealth tax on every UK household (home, BTL’s, savings and investments) worth over £1m?
I say no to this idea. Firstly, really wealthy people, which I assume are the people you're trying to hit, don't have their assets in their personal names so wouldn't end up paying much. Secondly, the people it would actually hit are people that are not cash rich - retired people that have lived in their 'expensive' house for say 40 years and to the market have a property worth over a million. They are only millionaires on paper not in reality.

I'm not sure the government, or the next one, actually need to increase taxes anyway - according to commentators we're the most taxed we've been since just after the war. If tax really does have to rise then lets do it via expenditure not assets or income. I don't mean on essentials but maybe a real Value Added Tax on luxuries only - 30% on cars, 50% on gold etc.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Doesn’t matter who’s in charge now, the damage has been done. 13 years of Tory leadership (and I use that term loosely) has left a polarised nation with huge structural debt with little room for manoeuvre and no family silver to sell to balance the books. This country is an absolute basket case and if I was growing up now I would be looking to get out of here as soon as I could.
As it always is. They screw the country, get kicked out. New party coming in gets blamed for problems they inherit. Dumb nation fall for it and bring the goons that screw it up back in. And repeat.

The problems this country has is that the occupants are terminally stupid and vote continuously for self harm.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have my reservations about Labour, but whatever happens it cannot be worth than what the Tories have dished up since 2015. Get the Tories again and I will be actively encouraging my kids to leave the country in their best interests.

We've taken a path of national decline and I don't expect any quick fixes.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Starmer could get some great policies under way within months/ a year or two.

Quintupling the number of trainee mental health professionals, a massive hike to the budget of CAMHS/Wellbeing, properly fix our third world road surfaces, a living wage, a programme to replace decrepit school/hospital buildings, free up immigration where there are skills shortages.

Vote winners too, thinking ahead to 2029.

Needs to get on with it from day one. Cut out the speeches and years of consultation red tape before cracking on with them.

Churchill’s “Action This Day”.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Starmer could get some great policies under way within months/ a year of two.

Quintupling the number of trainee mental health professionals, a massive hike to the budget of CAMHS/Wellbeing, properly fix our third world road surfaces, a living wage, a programme to replace decrepit school/hospital buildings, free up immigration where there are skills shortages.

Vote winners too, thinking ahead to 2029.

Needs to get on with it from day one. Cut out the speeches and years of consultation red tape before cracking on with them.

Churchill’s “Action This Day”.

I assume you are expecting the first priority of stopping, stabilising and turning round a crashing economy to be completed within the first few weeks then, to enable him to concentrate on and fund the priorities you've outlined above :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I assume you are expecting the first priority of stopping, stabilising and turning round a crashing economy to be completed within the first few weeks then, to enable him to concentrate on and fund the priorities you've outlined above
Monetary policy - controlled by the BoE.

International markets - we can’t do anything radically different to the rest of the G8, or the pound would properly crash (Truss tried this).

Leaving fiscal policy - tax, spend, some use of new gilts.

Sounds quite restrictive, but he’ll have to crack on. Perhaps park HS2?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The budget may well be in such a state it takes something dramatic. Huge GDP boost (potentially 5-7%) to be had by one very simple police. It rhymes with “Pringle Harket”. The finances by then might mean it’s a no-brainer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here