Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next general election (Dec 24?)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don't think it's revisionism that Major is seen as a hero, it's simply comparative to what we currently have and applies to every PM for the last 60 years (and I only say 60 because I can't remember any earlier).

I think just a little bit of competence and honesty would be a f***ing huge step forward over where we are now.

The economy is dying on it's arse and no political party can put any policies in place while that's happening, so I think we both know what needs doing to address that, however it's wrapped up and sold :wink:

And whatever they do, the last 3.5 years is going to take well over a decade to recover from. If we are going to be this stupid as a nation we really shouldn't be surprised when there is be a big price to pay :down:
Even May looks like a political colossus compared to recent leaders....and that's saying something !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Labour are heading for a landslide. After sequential economic crises, the latest being millions of homeowners finding their next mortgage interest rate is 3x the last deal. The SNP debacle can only help the Labour majority.

Unlike Starmer, so counting chickens, what tangibly will he do with such a majority? It would all too easy for 5 years to race by, an opportunity lost. How about overhauling the planning process to get millions more new affordable homes underway helping the lost generations and dealing with the skew of wealth to the top 20%.

View attachment 162996
What by-election. She's not resigned!!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The country is stuffed until the day we rejoin the Single Market.

That's just how it is.

So I have minimal expectation of Labour actually improving life.

However, getting rid of the obnoxious goons like Rees-Mogg and Barclay would be a blessing though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Even before the Thames Water fiasco, a nationalised water service makes sense.

A vital national resource, 100% of income should be targeted to new reservoirs and ending the mains leaks. Nimbies shouldn’t be able to scupper every single reservoir proposal. It was very imperfect under state ownership, but the 34 year experiment hasn’t worked. Imho.
Neither have the privatised versions of the Gas Board, the Electricity Board, Royal Mail, British Telecoms and British Rail. Sadly, there's far too much for any Government to put right in a mere 5 years! :down:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It would be nice to have a Government just treading water rather than the current lot blaming everyone else.

The oddness is they have taken on the identity (and support) of your modern right wing fuelled conspiracy theorist. Your old old fashioned ones were quite harmless, concerning themselves with crop circles and 911.

These days it's gender neutral toilets and wind farms taking away peoples freedoms. They've become obsessed and made their supporters obsessed with issues that don't affect 99% of the population.

I had a lovely random conservation with a South London Boris supporter on the train yesterday. She told me he was best for Britain although he's horrible to his wife.

Just to be clear for the lawyers, there is zero evidence he is (of course he isn't) but I'm just posting what she said. Clearly thick as mince who thought voting in an election was an ITV5 spin off of Britain's Got Talent.

When you go bat shit populist, you attract bat shit populist supporters and have to keep them happy whilst losing millions of floating voters.

It's a strategic choice to keep them in power, but one they have massively f###### up. Out for a decade.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think it's revisionism that Major is seen as a hero, it's simply comparative to what we currently have and applies to every PM for the last 60 years (and I only say 60 because I can't remember any earlier).

I think just a little bit of competence and honesty would be a f***ing huge step forward over where we are now.

The economy is dying on it's arse and no political party can put any policies in place while that's happening, so I think we both know what needs doing to address that, however it's wrapped up and sold :wink:

And whatever they do, the last 3.5 years is going to take well over a decade to recover from. If we are going to be this stupid as a nation we really shouldn't be surprised when there is be a big price to pay :down:
Funnily enough, it was Harold Wilson winning in 64 on a slogan of 13 years of Tory misrule.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Am looking forward to the Torids getting booted out. I am not looking forward to the do nothing Starmer govt, I’m hoping that they will be dragged kicking and screaming into making a difference though.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Think it will take more than one government term for Labour to sort out the mess this country is in. Depresseningly, I can see the Tories winning in 2029, as the rabid right-wing press will lay into Labour from Day One, blaming them for all the things created by the Tories' legacy.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How about overhauling the planning process to get millions more new affordable homes underway helping the lost generations and dealing with the skew of wealth to the top 20%.
Are you happy with most of Sussex being built over then? Because that is what will happen (it already is). And it doesn't solve the problem, as only a tiny percentage of the new builds are affordable homes.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
There's so much needs doing to repair our once great country. Day 1 of the next government seems like its going to be very busy.
Day one should be a national day of celebration. Everyone off work as we celebrate the getting rid of a criminal organisation masquerading as a government.

Having said that, I’m not writing the Tory’s off just yet. Remember, this is the country that voted for Brexit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you happy with most of Sussex being built over then? Because that is what will happen (it already is). And it doesn't solve the problem, as only a tiny percentage of the new builds are affordable homes.
we've built houses on 4% of land (higher % when counting all development such as golf courses), if we have every parish and district give permission for 10% increase it would bearly noticed and deliver 2-3 million homes. if we're building the required 2 million homes there will be a mix of sizes and values, rather than the higher end we encourage developers to go for today.

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
All i want the next Government to do is put Britain first. Scrap foreign aid, we have Enough homlessness and people working but still only keeping there heads above water. Close our boarders. Windfull taxes. Put the great back into Great Britain.
I know where those reactions are coming from. It’s sheer desperation and disgust. However, that’s not how you build an economy. For example, the whole net migration argument that the Tories seemed determined to punch themselves in the face over will never be met. Not without destroying our higher education sector. And this morning I hear some right wing Tory member talking about clamping down on immigration and handing the 110,000 (as if!) NHS jobs they are going to create to Brits. There’s already a surplus of jobs! What we really want is to educate and train Brits up to work in our tech, creative services and science sectors where they can be net contributors to economic growth. Unless you’re privatizing the NHS (no!) then you’re not going to see the NHS become some sort of economic powerhouse.

It’s a shit show, all caused by our determination to secure self determination, and that’s borne from some ridiculous idea that we are better off acting like some Billy big bollocks on our own. Well, we’ve been marginalized. And contrary to what Liam Fox says, compared to pre-COVID times we are underperforming against other nations.

But, I know where your anger and frustration comes from - you’re just targeting it against the wrong people maybe? Too many people have been duped. Stop the Boats? Stop the Lying!

Last edited:

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
The first Labour gov't will be dedicated to trying to clean up the Tory mess of the last 12 years - It'll be a second term where they can actually start enacting positive changes, if they make it that far..

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
All i want the next Government to do is put Britain first. Scrap foreign aid, we have Enough homlessness and people working but still only keeping there heads above water. Close our boarders. Windfull taxes. Put the great back into Great Britain.
Foreign aid is a condition of belonging to the United Nations. It is very useful in trade deals.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I know where those reactions are coming from. It’s sheer desperation and disgust. However, that’s not how you build an economy. For example, the whole net migration argument that the Tories seemed determined to punch themselves in the face over will never be net migration. Not without destroying our higher education sector. And this morning I hear some right wing Tory member talking about clamping down on immigration and handing the 110,000 (as if!) NHS jobs they are going to create to Brits. There’s already a surplus of jobs! What we really want is to educate and train Brits up to work in our tech, creative services and science sectors where they can be net contributors to economic growth. Unless you’re privatizing the NHS (no!) then you’re not going to see the NHS become some sort of economic powerhouse.

It’s a shit show, all caused by our determination to find self determination that’s borne from some ridiculous idea that we are better off acting like some Billy big bollocks on our own. Well, we’ve been marginalized. And contrary to what Liam Fox says, compared to pre-COVID times we are underperforming against other nations.

But, I know where your anger and frustration comes from - you’re just targeting it against the wrong people maybe? Too many people have been duped. Stop the Boats? Stop the Lying!
Excellent, absolutely true and very well reasoned post without trying to belittle or cause a row. Would give more than one like if I could, more of this please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here