Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If following 66 you have:
Mexico 1970
West Germany 1974
Argentina 1978
Spain 1982
Mexico 1986
Italy 1990
USA 1994
France 1998
Japan 2002
Germany 2006
South Africa 2010
Brazil 2014
Russia 2018

Are we saying the last world cup where homosexuality was against the law was England 1966. I'll get my coat....
No, I answered your previous post. Nobody mentioned the last World Cup.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As much as hammering a Tory is fun I don’t get this uproar with what he said. You’re in another country so you’d expect to respect their rules and beliefs. If you don’t, then don’t go.

For me, I don't have any real issue with what I think he *wanted* to say. I do have a problem with how he actually phrased the message. He would have done well to consult with representatives from the relevant community to help him craft the right messaging.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Sunak's Braverman mistake not making his early days easy. She's dominating the headlines, and having an impact on that "party unity" he wants. Here's the latest, a Tory MP suggesting Braverman's re-appointment is problematic (he's alluding to reports MI5 investigated her over leaks when she was AG):

Jake Berry has also been giving quotes hostile to Braverman.

Sunak can't afford this, it'll eat into the "new leader bounce" in the polls if Labour can capitalise on it. The smaller that bounce, the harder it's going to be for him to get the polls back into some sort of territory where he can go to an election with any chance of preventing a Labour majority.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Sunak's Braverman mistake not making his early days easy. She's dominating the headlines, and having an impact on that "party unity" he wants. Here's the latest, a Tory MP suggesting Braverman's re-appointment is problematic (he's alluding to reports MI5 investigated her over leaks when she was AG):

Jake Berry has also been giving quotes hostile to Braverman.

Sunak can't afford this, it'll eat into the "new leader bounce" in the polls if Labour can capitalise on it. The smaller that bounce, the harder it's going to be for him to get the polls back into some sort of territory where he can go to an election with any chance of preventing a Labour majority.

Pritchard supported Johnson and Berry was Truss's. Seems funny that, in Braverman, Sunak has made a totally inappropriate appointment to one of the big four offices and that the only apparent reason for him to do this was to throw a bone to the extreme right wing of the party, overlooking that she had not only proved herself to be totally unfit for high office, but had also made herself very unpopular with the right wing, by having a full on 'toddler on the floor of Woolworths not getting any pick'n'mix' tantrum at Truss when she was found out. She then stuck the knife into Truss in her resignation letter and went straight to join Sunak's camp.

The right wing all hate her and would have been quite happy if she hadn't got a job. By appointing her, Sunak either looks like he's another 'one rule for us' leader. If he now sacks her, it's evidence that the chaos continues unabated. He's probably stuck with a crap minister and gains nothing politically from it. In terms of tone-deafness, it's like becoming manager of Spurs and trying to get yourself onside with the fans by giving Sol Campbell a coaching job.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Pritchard supported Johnson and Berry was Truss's. Seems funny that, in Braverman, Sunak has made a totally inappropriate appointment to one of the big four offices and that the only apparent reason for him to do this was to throw a bone to the extreme right wing of the party, overlooking that she had not only proved herself to be totally unfit for high office, but had also made herself very unpopular with the right wing, by having a full on 'toddler on the floor of Woolworths not getting any pick'n'mix' tantrum at Truss when she was found out. She then stuck the knife into Truss in her resignation letter and went straight to join Sunak's camp.

The right wing all hate her and would have been quite happy if she hadn't got a job. By appointing her, Sunak either looks like he's another 'one rule for us' leader. If he now sacks her, it's evidence that the chaos continues unabated. He's probably stuck with a crap minister and gains nothing politically from it. In terms of tone-deafness, it's like becoming manager of Spurs and trying to get yourself onside with the fans by giving Sol Campbell a coaching job.
Not so sure about the first highlighted bit - I reckon the second is the more likely reason!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Immigration is getting a lot of attention at the minute and politically hard to find a balance to satisfy everybody. Maybe he’s brought her in on the basis she will continue as she was but equally a credible fall guy when the time comes when she inevitably oversteps the mark again

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
.James Cleverly a most in appropriately named person in UK politics. Probably just stay out of this one mate, unless you've got something sensible to say

Well done the Aussies (and how I hate saying that)

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not so sure about the first highlighted bit - I reckon the second is the more likely reason!
You're possibly right about that. If that's reflective of his approach, he's no more likely to unify them than Truss was.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Immigration is getting a lot of attention at the minute and politically hard to find a balance to satisfy everybody. Maybe he’s brought her in on the basis she will continue as she was but equally a credible fall guy when the time comes when she inevitably oversteps the mark again

Possibly, although she had only been doing the job for just over a month. Interesting that the more obvious, and less immediately politically problematic candidate to undertake the Tory party's war on the helpless and desperate was ignored by both Sunak and Truss before him. Just what could be putting off colleagues from working with Priti?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/priti-patel-bullying-settlement-claim-b1880833.html

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And he's not going to just drop such an important topic.
I've heard Spain were going to do similar but Sanchez jumped straight past the topic and then started shouting at a referee about an imaginary foul

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Possibly, although she had only been doing the job for just over a month. Interesting that the more obvious, and less immediately politically problematic candidate to undertake the Tory party's war on the helpless and desperate was ignored by both Sunak and Truss before him. Just what could be putting off colleagues from working with Priti?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/priti-patel-bullying-settlement-claim-b1880833.html
It’s my belief that Priti had ‘something on Mr Johnson’ and had probably threatened him with it; that ‘something’ could have been one of dozens of ****-ups by the liar. I believe that she was untouchable for Mr Johnson despite his urges.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I quite like the football crossover here. Its like Sunak is a plodder of a club chairman replacing Alan Pardew with Steve Bruce.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Not bad to undermine your argument for sound judgement with a senior cabinet appointment within the first couple of days in charge. Alongside his lawbreaking during lockdown he is just as much of the Tory cesspit as his two predecessors. Let us see if the public are taken in yet again !

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
screenshot_1666884711.png

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here