Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Poor decision from Sunak, just why create unnecessary issues from day one, Labour will be all over it
Yup.

Exactly. Politically a good move in terms of unifying the party. The bitch can be ditched when convenient, job done.
He might have needed to do it from a party unity perspective, but that doesn't make it a good move (for reasons of the quote above yours). He needed to keep his nose clean from day 1 and avoid handing the opposition parties any open goals. First thing he does is try to play out from the back and give the ball away.

Braverman is the obvious worst decision when it comes to his cabinet picks. But he's made some other clangers in there as well. This was an opportunity for a new Tory PM to present a genuine fresh start for the Tory party. He should have looked to the back benches a lot harder and brought forward enough new faces into ministerial positions to be able to argue that he's not just "more of what we've already seen". Instead, we've got Shapps, Raab, Braverman, Cleverly, Williamson, Jenrick, Coffey, Barclay, Gove, Dowden, Zahawi ... There's a catalogue full of failure and mediocrity in that list.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield

Click / tap through to read the entire tweet thread (only 3 tweets). Suggesting the delay is a good move on one hand (finance markets appear a lot happier with Sunak / Hunt in charge of the economy, and as a result cost of borrowing etc reducing and thus the black hole in the budget gets smaller, giving them more room to move), but possibly a bad one on the other (BoE interest rates decision due 3rd Nov, and they'll now be flying blind on what the Gov't plans are).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Click / tap through to read the entire tweet thread (only 3 tweets). Suggesting the delay is a good move on one hand (finance markets appear a lot happier with Sunak / Hunt in charge of the economy, and as a result cost of borrowing etc reducing and thus the black hole in the budget gets smaller, giving them more room to move), but possibly a bad one on the other (BoE interest rates decision due 3rd Nov, and they'll now be flying blind on what the Gov't plans are).

Although unlike the last lot, they have already spoken to the BoE about the delay so I would imagine that the BoE will delay any action that it might otherwise have made?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Gordon Brown's sums it up. Unpretentious and economical.
While Theresa May's looks rather more fragile than everyone else's and Truss' is just a twisted mess

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Credit to Rishi Rich (where it is due).

He appears to have u-turned Truss’ attempt to stop the fracking ban which itself was a u-turn of the Tory manifesto. Well done to him if that is the case.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Labour tabled an urgent question. She didn't bother turning up.

From what I'm reading (not seen it yet) Yvette Cooper took the opportunity and made it count. Sunak left the door open to be attacked, and at least some of the punches have landed today.

See Sunak has fallen back on the tired old "But look, a wild Corbyn!" arguments.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Had a quick look on Twitter and saw a few 'Sunak 1, Starmer 0'-type comments after PMQs.

Then I watched it and it was the usual inane shouting at each other and not answering questions. There were no winners there, I'm afraid.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Had a quick look on Twitter and saw a few 'Sunak 1, Starmer 0'-type comments after PMQs.

Then I watched it and it was the usual inane shouting at each other and not answering questions. There were no winners there, I'm afraid.

It's probably 1-0 for the dog whistle/lowest common denominator politician or polital follower.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
But rich enough to pay for young Rishi to go to Stroud Prep and Winchester College apparently, so in the 5% back then ???
Out of curiosity I looked at how much it cost 2 days ago (obvs present cost).

Winchester is 45k per year. And Rishi has 2 siblings.

How could any regular GP pay equivalent of 45k pa in todays money for 1 kid?

That's staggeringly expensive.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Public school fees have increased dramatically in recent times and have, indeed, put the fees out of the reach of many middle income families, unless grandparents are chipping in.
It wasn’t always the case, my father was a GP back in the day and managed to pay for my sister and I to both go to public school as boarders many years ago.
He worked bloody hard in those days and had no help from grandparents.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Good bit of investment though as it got him into TCI where he made his first millions by his mid twenties betting on the Credit crash.

"He was a partner at the hedge fund TCI, where bosses “shared nearly £100m after an audacious stock market bet that lit the touchpaper on the 2008 financial crisis”.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

couple of things in there. first thats the boarders rate for today, not 80's-90's. GPs today earn north of 100k, and pharmacy is a pretty lucrative profession. live modestly could afford that outlay on those incomes if you want it enough. with lower housing costs and relativly lower fees, im sure it was easier back in the 80's.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was hoping Braverman would stay binned and at least Coffey would go as well.

Braverman is a big problem and being invited back to one of the big jobs on the basis of virtually no experience and some truly shocking bad opinions is insane. Is it just the psycho office these days? Just pop a lunatic in there who can bang on about illegal immigrants and giving protesters the death penalty. f*** this government.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I thought Rishi was going to score an incredible own goal at PMQ's.. referring to " The Home Secretary is going to be getting with the important work of tackling crime and keeping the country safe " .. I thought Starmer might suggest she investigates herself !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here