Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think Truss appointed her for the long run as a soul mate and I think Rishi has appointed her in the short run because he knows she'll screw up and he can turn up his palms and say "I tried".

That's the difference I was trying to describe.

Perhaps I should have set the scene regarding the very limited options open to any current Tory PM and the fact that, as a governing party, they're the worst I can remember, but I'm taking that as a given on this thread.
I know, I'm just beyond being prepared to give them any credit at this point.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think Truss appointed her for the long run as a soul mate and I think Rishi has appointed her in the short run because he knows she'll screw up and he can turn up his palms and say "I tried".

That's the difference I was trying to describe.

Perhaps I should have set the scene regarding the very limited options open to any current Tory PM and the fact that, as a governing party, they're the worst I can remember, but I'm taking that as a given on this thread.
I'll also admit I could have been clearer that I wasn't being entirely serious.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'll also admit I could have been clearer that I wasn't being entirely serious.
:lolol:

I've been whooshed.

In my defence I don't think you could write a parody or satire of this government that someone wouldn't take seriously, and this government could absolutely put something serious out that everyone of sound mind would regard as parody.

In the 80s Spitting Image held the government to account. Now the government has made Spitting Image redundant.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was hoping Braverman would stay binned and at least Coffey would go as well.

Braverman is a big problem and being invited back to one of the big jobs on the basis of virtually no experience and some truly shocking bad opinions is insane. Is it just the psycho office these days? Just pop a lunatic in there who can bang on about illegal immigrants and giving protesters the death penalty. f*** this government.
Braverman has quite obviously done a deal with him. 'I'll swing behind you for leader, if you give me my job back'. Regardless of any ministerial code breaking.

"Integrity and Accountability" my arse.

And Coffey as Environment Minister. Really??

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Threat to national security.

I’ve worked in these types of environments and if this happened to you, you’d be gone with no return. Not sure Sunak is true to his ‘integrity’ and ‘learning from past mistakes’

Poor decision from Sunak, just why create unnecessary issues from day one, Labour will be all over it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Braverman is one of the worst human beings on the planet.

Luckily she'll only last a few months before doing something monumentally stupid. It's good politics from Rishi, appointing someone from the looney wing who he has a few things in common with but who he can bin off as soon as she gives him an excuse. Not great for the country but as a strategy, his is much cleverer than Truss.

Boat crossings drop in number from now until May-ish anyway.
Exactly. Politically a good move in terms of unifying the party. The bitch can be ditched when convenient, job done.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Braverman is one of the worst human beings on the planet.

Luckily she'll only last a few months before doing something monumentally stupid. It's good politics from Rishi, appointing someone from the looney wing who he has a few things in common with but who he can bin off as soon as she gives him an excuse. Not great for the country but as a strategy, his is much cleverer than Truss.

Boat crossings drop in number from now until May-ish anyway.
I agree that Braverman is awful, but fail to see how it is good politics. I can’t see that he is doing anything but alienate sensible centrist Tories who could well have much more liberal views on immigration, or business people who see the need to relax the immigration hard line for economic/recruitment reasons.

And that is quite apart from the fact it is only 6 days since she resigned for a breach of the ministerial code. If he wants to govern with integrity, he’s blown that straight away. While not a Tory, I saw him as hopeful. He’s shattered that already.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't think my 2 picks for the top job - Hancock and Failing Grayling - have even been offered jobs in the Government.

Poor show, Rishi.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Mad Nads is doing a sideliner on the Murdoch channel. Watch out Piers, she's good

Actually, I have to say, I was surprised at how good she is at TV presenting compared to her ability at being a politician. She’ll surely find employment at GB news when she gets the kick at the next election?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I agree that Braverman is awful, but fail to see how it is good politics. I can’t see that he is doing anything but alienate sensible centrist Tories who could well have much more liberal views on immigration, or business people who see the need to relax the immigration hard line for economic/recruitment reasons.

And that is quite apart from the fact it is only 6 days since she resigned for a breach of the ministerial code. If he wants to govern with integrity, he’s blown that straight away. While not a Tory, I saw him as hopeful. He’s shattered that already.
You're correct because it really isn't - He's carrying out an appeasement policy in his recruitment rather than establishing his authority. I would imagine those at Labour/Lib Dems/SNP HQ are wetting themselves at this appointment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There are hardly any sensible, centrist Tories left. This has been a total coup by the ERG and we might as well be being governed by UKIP right now. Rishi himself is an arch Leaver who believes in free ports and more.

However, even that horrendous wing is riven with splits, based mostly on personality (and a little on identity politics - Truss was ideologically driven from an economic POV whereas Braverman seems to want to wage a one woman war on the "woke", whoever they are) and power grabs. By appointing her Rishi is trying to heal the rifts in the far right. He doesn't give a flying f*** about the centre. None of them do.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
There are hardly any sensible, centrist Tories left. This has been a total coup by the ERG and we might as well be being governed by UKIP right now. Rishi himself is an arch Leaver who believes in free ports and more.

However, even that horrendous wing is riven with splits, based mostly on personality (and a little on identity politics - Truss was ideologically driven from an economic POV whereas Braverman seems to want to wage a one woman war on the "woke", whoever they are) and power grabs. By appointing her Rishi is trying to heal the rifts in the far right. He doesn't give a flying f*** about the centre. None of them do.
The fact that the "woke" are the ones who don't want her abused for being a woman or of ethnic background seems to elude her. Perhaps she is a masochist who loves racial slurs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

reckon Braverman is a lightning rod to draw all the attention, then as other suggest bin off when appropriate. people in boats are not the immigration solution for business (they are all claiming asylum right?), while under the radar there are increasing relaxations of permitted immigration. drop the requirements, the salary or skill levels, for business to sponsor while looking tough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We've all got to pull our belts in and get the economy back on track. Carpenters are doing great business at the moment.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

You're right of course, but that's politics. I would be amazed if, all other things being equal, he would have made that appointment. As others have said it's the usual political horse-trading; regardless of the ethics Braverman withdrew and publicly backed him and this is her reward. (Mourdant didn't withdraw so she doesn't get what she wanted). He's not the first politician to hold his nose and make that type of deal and he won't be the last.

(Maybe I'm clutching at straws. Although he's obviously streets ahead of Johnson and Truss he is still a Tory, and my hope that he won't make a total pig's ear of running the country is maybe making me give him the benefit of the doubt in the 'decency' stakes).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There are enough ****s in the top Tory jobs now to ensure they will still be scratching at each other and reneging on deals etc to ensure this shambles of a government continues. Good for Labour but dreadful for our country.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We've all got to pull our belts in and get the economy back on track. Carpenters are doing great business at the moment.

Then there is Tony I’ve got a big one Blair :moo:

Attachments

• BFFD6BDE-A4FC-482E-BECC-7E4C8CE92EF4.jpeg
    BFFD6BDE-A4FC-482E-BECC-7E4C8CE92EF4.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 23

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here