Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Appalled to see Braverman back as Home Secretary. As I posted yesterday, she shouldn’t be anywhere near a position of power. Don’t really care about Zahawi, (the duplicitous twat) he can’t do much harm where he has been put. So far, all else seems ok, but Braverman……….I just don’t get it. I can only hope she won’t have as free a rein as she did last week! I wouldn’t trust her to baby sit my pet rabbit, if I had one.😱😮

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Appalled to see Braverman back as Home Secretary. As I posted yesterday, she shouldn’t be anywhere near a position of power. Don’t really care about Zahawi, (the duplicitous twat) he can’t do much harm where he has been put. So far, all else seems ok, but Braverman……….I just don’t get it. I can only hope she won’t have as free a rein as she did last week! I wouldn’t trust her to baby sit my pet rabbit, if I had one.😱😮
So not adhering to the standards that are expected has no consequences under Sunak which is similar to Johnson.
Yet again putting, self and party far ahead of nation.

Depressing times.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
181 Tory MPs actually declared for him - three times as many as for Johnson and Mordaunt combined (38 dec;ared for Johnson, 25 for Mordaint; sauce- the FT). 55% or not, that is a substantial mahrity. Anyway, the right man (among the choices actually available) has got the job, terrible Truss's career is dead and buried, so no quibbles necessary; sighs of relief all round.
And then he re-appointed Braverman.

It's early days/hours, but that would appear to be a terrible, terrible mistake....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's early days/hours, but that would appear to be a terrible, terrible mistake....
Part of the party unification process - a sop to the nutty wing of the party by giving a job to a fairly inconsequential nonentity. It'll be alright if he keeps her leash and muzzle on.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
the countries with highest GDP growth tend to be the east europeans, starting from a lower base. unsure how you measure public services objectively, i dont believe Croatia, Greece, Hungry are the best. interesting outlier is Ireland with consistent highest growth, which has lowest corporate tax and as far as i've heard not great in the public services area.
I think it was broadly about Scandinavian countries, but it’s only something I read in passing so couldn’t substantiate it or refute it. If I find anything I’ll bring it back. but it doesn’t alter the fact that this household for one would be willing to pay a bit more tax for better public services.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Didn't Braverman surprisingly back Sunak instead of Johnson in the leader race? Maybe not such a surprise - sounds like a deal was done here.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Threat to national security.

I’ve worked in these types of environments and if this happened to you, you’d be gone with no return. Not sure Sunak is true to his ‘integrity’ and ‘learning from past mistakes’

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I agree. Making Mordaunt Home Secretary was a no-brainer, she is clearly more capable than the hapless Braverman who last week was quite rightly sacked for a bad security breach. Has Sunak forgotten about this??

Rishi started promisingly by sacking some real dross (Brandon Lewis, Rees-Mogg, Chloe Smith and the useless chairman Jake Berry) but his main appointments are distinctly lacklustre, just moving the deckchairs really. I feel as though he needed 4 or 5 fresh faces, it still feels like the same old same old.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Or "some people" just like yet another stick to beat him with before he has even come up with his policies as a PM. Patience is a virtue
He was chancellor for over 2 years, it's not like we don't know anything about him.
The Conservatives have been in power on their own for 7 years. I'm not falling for that "we're a totally new government here to sort out this mess" shit that they always try and pull whenever they change leader.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Didn't Braverman surprisingly back Sunak instead of Johnson in the leader race? Maybe not such a surprise - sounds like a deal was done here.
It’s just really bad judgement from the off from Rishi. Really sad.

Like Patel, Braverman is all about pulling up the rope ladder that saw her family get into this country in the first place. We can’t fill our job vacancies, Braverman is all about making that worse rather than better. A leader of the anti-growth coalition if ever I saw one. She is also incredibly divisive and launched her original leadership bid with a rant on trans rights on Peston. She wants voters filled with hate talking about unisex toilets, not the state of the economy, the state of public services or the horrific state of the government. An awful woman.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
What an array of talent. My Dad said he never thought he'd live to see the end of Woolworths, the Queen and Capitalism - but it seems the Tories are trying their damnedest to make it happen.
The mind boggles at the calibre of the other 300+ Conservative MPs for Rishi to take power, look around, and decide that Braverman was the person he needed in the cabinet of the British government. He must have been in the pool when she got herself sacked a week ago.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
It’s just really bad judgement from the off from Rishi. Really sad.

Like Patel, Braverman is all about pulling up the rope ladder that saw her family get into this country in the first place. We can’t fill our job vacancies, Braverman is all about making that worse rather than better. A leader of the anti-growth coalition if ever I saw one. She is also incredibly divisive and launched her original leadership bid with a rant on trans rights on Peston. She wants voters filled with hate talking about unisex toilets, not the state of the economy, the state of public services or the horrific state of the government. An awful woman.
Not a fan of unisex toilets. Do I lose sleep over it? No. Do I lose sleep worrying about the gas, electric bill and my pension? Yes.

She is absolutely awful, shocking appointment in an otherwise reasonable (not great) looking cabinet.

But above everything else, besides her bonkers hard right policies and beliefs, the very fact that LAST WEEK she breached the ministerial code and threatened national security and resigned… then gets her job back with no investigation, no punishment, not even a day of lost wages. It’s absolutely disgusting.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I was hoping Braverman would stay binned and at least Coffey would go as well.

Braverman is a big problem and being invited back to one of the big jobs on the basis of virtually no experience and some truly shocking bad opinions is insane. Is it just the psycho office these days? Just pop a lunatic in there who can bang on about illegal immigrants and giving protesters the death penalty. f*** this government.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Braverman is one of the worst human beings on the planet.

Luckily she'll only last a few months before doing something monumentally stupid. It's good politics from Rishi, appointing someone from the looney wing who he has a few things in common with but who he can bin off as soon as she gives him an excuse. Not great for the country but as a strategy, his is much cleverer than Truss.

Boat crossings drop in number from now until May-ish anyway.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Braverman is one of the worst human beings on the planet.

Luckily she'll only last a few months before doing something monumentally stupid. It's good politics from Rishi, appointing someone from the looney wing who he has a few things in common with but who he can bin off as soon as she gives him an excuse. Not great for the country but as a strategy, his is much cleverer than Truss.

Boat crossings drop in number from now until May-ish anyway.
I'm not sure we can look at Truss appointing an absolute moron as home secretary as idiocy, and Sunak appointing the same absolute moron as a clever strategy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not sure we can look at Truss appointing an absolute moron as home secretary as idiocy, and Sunak appointing the same absolute moron as a clever strategy.
I think Truss appointed her for the long run as a soul mate and I think Rishi has appointed her in the short run because he knows she'll screw up and he can turn up his palms and say "I tried".

That's the difference I was trying to describe.

Perhaps I should have set the scene regarding the very limited options open to any current Tory PM and the fact that, as a governing party, they're the worst I can remember, but I'm taking that as a given on this thread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here