Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Could've been worse I guess, if some sources are to be believed Boris had the numbers & it could've gone to the members. Boris wants applause for backing out when he had the numbers as it was best for the country (Conservative Party). Basically 'if' he had the numbers he's admitted that he was shit at his job when he previously held it & would be shit again if he got his old job back! He has no self awareness so I think he was just worried that he'd lose! Good luck to us all! 🤷‍♀️

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Could've been worse I guess, if some sources are to be believed Boris had the numbers & it could've gone to the members. Boris wants applause for backing out when he had the numbers as it was best for the country (Conservative Party). Basically 'if' he had the numbers he's admitted that he was shit at his job when he previously held it & would be shit again if he got his old job back! He has no self awareness so I think he was just worried that he'd lose! Good luck to us all! 🤷‍♀️
But what on earth did he rush back from holiday for? I think you're right with your last comment - petrified of losing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But what on earth did he rush back from holiday for? I think you're right with your last comment - petrified of losing.
Sheer arrogance that he would naturally have the support.

Once he arrived he was probably left with no choice but to accept that he didn't have enough support to manage the party and that it would be absolute chaos.

Even if he did have 100 votes, he would have been pressured not to drag it out to a member vote in the fase of Rishi getting almost twice as many.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You were right in the first place. £3-4 Billion went astray. Any registered business could apply, didn't even have to be operating at the time. I have friends who took £50,000 covid loans, closed the business and opened under another name. No need to pay back then. Private Eye had fortnightly lists of rich acceptors of handouts. Tottenham applied and backed down after bad press and the PL held back.
I know of two cases where the government granted tens of thousand of pounds to men who set their houses up as "women's refuges" or "supported accommodation" and then exploited the vulnerable women who moved in. We had to rescue one of our clients from one such house.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Interesting to see how rich Rishi goes down in the red wall, quite happy to take cash away from these places to give to places like impoverised Tunbridge Wells, not to mention the pork barrelling that has been going on in his consistuency of Richmond..

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A more pertinent question might be why was a sitting MP on holiday - his third since resigning as PM in late July - while Parliament is not in recess?
Quite and this on the back of a talking mini tour in the US. Need a reset on standards...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Most of Europe furloughed - Sunak reacted to what others started, it wasn’t a proactive policy. Be grateful to the Europeans that started it straight away.

We announced Furlough on the 20th March, lockdown started on the 23rd March.

Not sure you could class that as us not starting it straight away.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That seems a rather aggressive response to what I thought was a fairly harmless post.

I don’t know how it was implemented, so I can’t say whether i would have done it differently.

I’m not blaming the Tories for dishonest companies……. Unless they were encouraging them to be dishonest, which I doubt.

If I were to criticise anything, which I didn’t in the post, it would be the seeming inactivity of government to try and recoup any of it.

Seems they are trying, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ugh-scheme-lost-pounds-billions-b2201774.html

Read somewhere they estimate almost 30% of companies claiming furlough committed some sort of fraud.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We announced Furlough on the 20th March, lockdown started on the 23rd March.

Not sure you could class that as us not starting it straight away.
European countries had gone into lockdown before us and started their furloughs - it was a set of measures we followed. I'm not sure I'd be patting Sunak on the back for that one.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Most of Europe furloughed - Sunak reacted to what others started, it wasn’t a proactive policy. Be grateful to the Europeans that started it straight away.
Plenty of sticks to beat the Tories with, I don’t think that this is one

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well, my natural optimism makes me think, he at least seems like a grown-up, like he might tell the truth, and that we might get a more realistic appraisal of our options from him.

On the downside, all the while the right of the Conservative Party persists with its “Singapore on Thames” fantasy, it will continue to chronically underfund public services in an effort to keep taxes as low as humanly possible.

Anybody who’s ever owned property, a vehicle, or any form of machinery knows that it’s cheaper to maintain it in serviceable use than let it fall into neglect and then try to restore it. The Conservative Party policy is (to my mind) this false economy of allowing our public services to become almost unusably poor, and then increase the flow of cash just enough to keep them on life support. Not through necessity, but choice. The issue then is that it takes considerably more investment to rebuild things back to where they were t

I would rather have European levels of taxation, and European levels of public services, but clearly among the voting public, I’m in a minority. I have to be a grownup about that. It will be interesting to see how pragmatic Rishi is. I wonder if he’s customs union pragmatic?

agree with all that.

and I have found myself thinking on occasion over the last few days why tax rises are so beyond the pail! In the short term I’m sure it should be doable that taxes could be increased while protecting the most vulnerable.

In the normal run of things, I would be happy to pay a bit more tax to have things running better and nurses decently paid. But then I see tax as a moral necessity and duty rather than a crime against humanity.

and I’m sure I’ve read recently that the countries with the strongest growth in Europe are those with the best public services. If benefits are at a sensible level, if public sector employees are paid at such a level that they can afford both to eat and heat their homes, that money gets spent in the local economy, keeps shops going!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
A more pertinent question might be why was a sitting MP on holiday - his third since resigning as PM in late July - while Parliament is not in recess?
Because he's a lazy bugger who couldn't give a toss about his constituents or the public.
Quite and this on the back of a talking mini tour in the US. Need a reset on standards...
But he's not so lazy as to miss out on an expenses paid freebie that brings him some money. Which is what half his career has been about.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I just hope that poor old 'silver spoon' Rishi can afford to pay his winter heating bills. Should we have a whip round?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here