[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It’s like a Christmas pantomime innit

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

It's fascinating isn't it. One thing the Conservative party can defend itself on (and should be applauded for) is the promotion of non white members to predominate positions. The other parties are well behind in this respect.

However, they clearly don't go well with the members unless they offer borderline racist / xenophobic views themselves.

I don't particularly like James Cleverly's politics, but I'm glad he's there. I've been reading tonight how well respected he is in the foreign office and is apparently doing a very good job.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Looking like Boris bullshit regarding his numbers tonight and Sunak will be crowned leader next week.

It's probably the best we can hope for since the Tories are in survival mode until the next election.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's fascinating isn't it. One thing the Conservative party can defend itself on (and should be applauded for) is the promotion of non white members to predominate positions. The other parties are well behind in this respect.

However, they clearly don't go well with the members unless they offer borderline racist / xenophobic views themselves.

I don't particularly like James Cleverly's politics, but I'm glad he's there. I've been reading tonight how well respected he is in the foreign office and is apparently doing a very good job.
I read a very illuminating opinion on that earlier today.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I
I don't think Boris is getting the numbers if people like Frost and Banedoch are in favour of Rishi. This contest could be over on Monday.

How embarrassing for him if he has to slink off away again. Probably why he hasn't officially put himself forward yet.
If he doesn't get the numbers, he won't nominate himself. Then he'll pretend that he had no intention of running anyway, and it was all just talk from others.

If there's one thing we've learnt about The Liar it's that he is pretty much unembarrassed about anything.

Wokeworrier

Aug 7, 2021
West sussex/travelling
You're not the genius you think you are. Your entire post here is personal. It's certainly not a coherent argument. Knock it off.

My humblest apologies GB, unfortunately a mod insinuated I was a second account for Steve Foster and a couple of simpletons believed this was the case and began trolling me across multiple threads which you obviously missed ... Genius!

Who will it be next week Bakerlite, Chicken Run?

:lolol: :jester:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read a very illuminating opinion on that earlier today.

I would never make the point that the party has a strategy of employing "non white racists", that just feeds into the hidden racism of the left who are often clearly uncomfortable with the fact that non-white people can hold conservative views. My point (made badly) was about the members, not the MPs themselves.

Both the right and left are guilty of that. If you genuinely believe in equality then irrespective of your skin colour you should be allowed to hold whatever political views you like.

That said, I've spoken to a few black people recently regarding the "I have a dream" Braverman statement regarding sending asylum seekers on a plane to Rwanda.

They are deeply, deeply offended at the appropriation of the words of Martin Luther King as were the Jewish community when she used the phrase "Cultural Marxism".

It's not for me to judge, but trust me she has clearly judged by others.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Latest on who is backing who (BBC 19:45)​

As things stand 201 out of 357 Tory MPs have publicly spoken out about who they're backing.
Here's the breakdown:
• Rishi Sunak - 125 MPs
• Boris Johnson - 53 MPs
• Penny Mordaunt - 23 MPs
------------------------------------
357/201 = 1.776
1.776 * 53 = 94.

Boris is on course to get 94 MPs backing him.

(Caveat: my sums don't take into account er, anything I haven't thought of, e.g. horse trading).

Another point is that this isn't a vote - it is nominations. Quite a few MPs may not nominate at all, and will just wait for a vote if there is one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

What I find most disturbing there is I could get past his rampant racism on the basis that such folk exist. It's just that he is a Tory member and seems to suggest that many are of the same mind. I'm still unsure if that is the case given that Sunak got 40 odd percent of the vote before, but given that it was so clear during the campaign that Truss was incompetent there may be more than I thought.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
What I find most disturbing there is I could get past his rampant racism on the basis that such folk exist. It's just that he is a Tory member and seems to suggest that many are of the same mind. I'm still unsure if that is the case given that Sunak got 40 odd percent of the vote before, but given that it was so clear during the campaign that Truss was incompetent there may be more than I thought.
There isn't just the possible institutional racism here (as if that were not serious enough), but there is also a possible risk to national security.

It wouldn't be too difficult for a rogue nation to spread disinformation such as 'Sunak isn't British' amongst a pliable Tory membership, in order to sway a vote in favour of their preferred candidate.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've never considered Johnson a racist irrespective of the bullshit he wrote as a journalist. He just liked to start a fire, run away and congratulate himself at the result.

Probably a genius tabloid click bait journalist. His "work" on the EU genuinely definitely fed into the public belief that the UK was better outside the EU even if if he didn't believe it himself.

Unfortunately that led him to believe (and fool millions others) that you could maintain a role in political public life by saying just what you felt could keep you in power irrespective of whether you believe it yourself.

That's my crucial criticism. Take any position you like on him, but don't take it on the basis on what he says. Johnson believes in nothing, only himself.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Probably doing some dodgy deal that gives The Liar a cabinet post, or even a halt to the standards committee investigation?
If I was Sunak I would steer WELL clear of him. I wouldn't trust him at all.

Hilarious if Johnson doesn't end up standing because he didn't get the votes required. Not that they'll care, but some people who publicly backed him might feel a bit silly!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I was Sunak I would steer WELL clear of him. I wouldn't trust him at all.

Hilarious if Johnson doesn't end up standing because he didn't get the votes required. Not that they'll care, but some people who publicly backed him might feel a bit silly!
de Piffel wouldn't be backing down if The Trussanator had held on for, say, 8 weeks!

Or for that matter if The Queen were still alive.

As and when 'a source' says Boris was really angry at not 'leading the nation in mourning' I'm will believe the quote 100%

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports