Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Utterly bemused that my missus WANTS Johnson back in....and still thinks hes done nothing wrong over the last few years.
Wont hear a bad word said against him, and thats despite her working for the nhs, and voting remain in the referendum.

Speechless.

Wow - does she have an executive position or is she front line?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I heard it said within a week of his faux resignation that the wording was very carefully done to enable him to return in just such this scenario in just utterly staggered that anyone wants him back outside the sycophantic lecherous Tory ‘jobs for the boys’ inner sanctum let alone 30 of you on here.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It doesn't really matter.

In my view growth is simple. It's either delivered through improving the way things are done (efficiency) or by having more labour in the market to drive output.
The conservatives generally struggle to spend on infrastructure projects and services due to having privatised most of them to address the former (see current historic lack of energy investment for details) So instead they look to cut services. They are not willing to open immigration to support the latter.

It's diminishing returns for any future governments unless they are willing to tackle growth properly with some heavy investment.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I've changed my mine from Ben (he's not interested in the job) Wallace to #bringbackboris

Never ever thought those words would ever come out of my gob, but there you are. Bumbling clown he might be, but looking at the opposition he might be the best option. These are truly strange times we live in.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've changed my mine from Ben (he's not interested in the job) Wallace to #bringbackboris

Never ever thought those words would ever come out of my gob, but there you are. Bumbling clown he might be, but looking at the opposition he might be the best option. These are truly strange times we live in.
memoryloss.png

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And I thought I was taking the piss with my 'Mad Nad for PM' campaign :bowdown:

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Wow - does she have an executive position or is she front line?
She is management, and also front line....but nowhere near high enough to not worry about money.
She's also worked in A&E every Saturday this year as well to get overtime pay, as its become a necessity now rather than just wanting "a bit extra" every now and again.
I honestly dont know what to think sometimes when I hear her fawning over Johnson.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It wasn't all bad though, you mustn't be too blinkered, he got some big decisions right.

1. Vaccine rollout, I got my first jab four months before the Spanish inlaws
2. Furlough Scheme, again the Spanish inlaws got no help
3. Head above the parapet and went large in his support for Ukraine
Lied to the Queen, lied to parliament and went on the piss when the rest of us played by the rules and the Queen buried her husband.
He binned anyone of any talent from government and filled it with idiots, which is why we are where we are. He has basically shafted the Tories and the country to feather his own nest.
As for Ukraine, he did what he normally does and followed the crowd. If the west had been uninterested then so would he. Opportunist whore of the worse kind who has never done anything to benefit anyone other than himself.
And that ladies and gentlemen are his good points .

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Prediction

Johnson returns - new haircut a few pounds lost

Portrayed as the saviour / has the mandate

Standards committee doesn’t go well

General election in January.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
By my calculations there are currently about 120 ministerial/PPS positions in the government. Some people will be doubling up in roles, so its actually less actual people than this.

Let's say that, when elected, Johnson appointed his best 115 people for these jobs. 15 of these resigned over the first two years. Then, in July 2022, 62 ministers resigned and another 5 stayed in their jobs, but urged him to resign. Presuming (and knowing this bunch of duplicitous self-servers it is, I admit a big presumption) that none of these (apart from Javid who already accounts for two of these resignations) would be craven enough to go back to a governmental position under Johnson, we are left with a government made up of second or third choices. Discounting the resigners and Johnson, and presumably Truss and May, we're down to a field of 277 + lords to choose from. Given that, at the time, The Spectator could list 105 MPs who had publicly called for his resignation: https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/full-list-the-tory-mps-calling-for-boris-to-go, lets be generous and presume that there are at least another 40-50 who weren't ministers, but also wouldn't serve. We are now down to the number of MPs who might serve under him being so low that each of them would have about a 50/50 chance of being given a government job. That means that half of the Government would be made up of Piers Fletcher Dervishes. It would be the equivalent of us appointing a manager that a good proportion of the first team and U21s would refuse to play for. To put it into context, when Johnson's previous government collapsed overnight, he was literally and metaphorically 'down to the bare bones' and even gave Peter Bone a job!

Only the mad right wing of the current Tory party could be so blind to anybody else's opinions that they could consider that a man who has demonstrated that he is implacably opposed and mistrusted by at least a third of their parliamentary colleagues would be a candidate to replace a similarly regarded leader who failed so quickly, partly because she had no mandate from her MPs. This is the last flailings of a dead ideology. The right wing see Johnson's popularity with the membership as their last chance to hold on to the reigns of the party. It's too late: Johnson or no Johnson, they have been found out, even by their colleagues. Should he win, the Conservative Party may not even outlive the majority of the Octogenarian party members who would be voting him in.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It wasn't all bad though, you mustn't be too blinkered, he got some big decisions right.

1. Vaccine rollout, I got my first jab four months before the Spanish inlaws
2. Furlough Scheme, again the Spanish inlaws got no help
3. Head above the parapet and went large in his support for Ukraine
Vaccine roll out before the AZ jab was properly tested. Nobody has an AZ booster now, it is all Pfizer and Moderna. Macron was right to be cautious about it.
The furlough scheme was good, but that was Sunak rather than Johnson.
Ukraine,I'll grant you but Johnson loves to look like the hero, until it comes to facing the press when he hides in a fridge or refuses to appear on certain tv channels.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Vaccine roll out before the AZ jab was properly tested. Nobody has an AZ booster now, it is all Pfizer and Moderna. Macron was right to be cautious about it.
The furlough scheme was good, but that was Sunak rather than Johnson.
Ukraine,I'll grant you but Johnson loves to look like the hero, until it comes to facing the press when he hides in a fridge or refuses to appear on certain tv channels.
My understanding was the AZ variety was not used as a booster because it isn't an MRNA vaccine (like the others) and is nowhere near effective as a top up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here