Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Its amazing how fast the Tory party can shift the narrative when it comes to their own survival. Since Truss's resignation speech there has been a whirlwind of talk about the best person to bring about uniting "The Party ", who is the best leader to coalese around for the good of "The Party " and who would be able to get on with delivering "The Party " mandate going forward.....some talk of Government too but nowhere or rarely, has there been any mention of the suffering of the general populace at this time.. its all about them and their survival at all costs.

They will happily muddle through for the next 2 years as our country falls apart under the austerity to come. The system is broken when a government can treat its citizens so shamelessly.

This is only magnified by the insane suggestion that Johnson return to office. Absolute and ridiculous stupidity... he has a track record of lies, corruption and selfishness and might well be thrown out of his seat by the parliamentary investigation in to his, you guessed it, lies to parliament ! To hear some of the swivel eyed idiots praising his record and even adding " Don't forget, he nearly died of Covid " like it is some endorsement of ability is pitiful.

I think the warring Tory factions are going to drag us down for another 2 years of chaos and carnage before they can be voted out for a lifetime. What a terrible time to be alive.
What's your gut feeling old boy?

We had riots the length and breadth of the nation from 'disaffected youths' in the lead up to the King's first nuptials in 1981, similar scenario in the build up to the Coronation?
(except it won't be just youths this time :()

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Boris is the only one with a mandate to be a PM. He was elected for 5 years, he should serve the 5 years. Anything else is undemocratic and I would support an early general election if it wasn't him.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Boris is the only one with a mandate to be a PM. He was elected for 5 years, he should serve the 5 years. Anything else is undemocratic and I would support an early general election if it wasn't him.
this ignores all the crap first half of the year, the inquiries, and no confidence of his party. this mandate argument doesnt wash, the MPs have the mandate.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Its amazing how fast the Tory party can shift the narrative when it comes to their own survival. Since Truss's resignation speech there has been a whirlwind of talk about the best person to bring about uniting "The Party ", who is the best leader to coalese around for the good of "The Party " and who would be able to get on with delivering "The Party " mandate going forward.....some talk of Government too but nowhere or rarely, has there been any mention of the suffering of the general populace at this time.. its all about them and their survival at all costs.

They will happily muddle through for the next 2 years as our country falls apart under the austerity to come. The system is broken when a government can treat its citizens so shamelessly.

This is only magnified by the insane suggestion that Johnson return to office. Absolute and ridiculous stupidity... he has a track record of lies, corruption and selfishness and might well be thrown out of his seat by the parliamentary investigation in to his, you guessed it, lies to parliament ! To hear some of the swivel eyed idiots praising his record and even adding " Don't forget, he nearly died of Covid " like it is some endorsement of ability is pitiful.

I think the warring Tory factions are going to drag us down for another 2 years of chaos and carnage before they can be voted out for a lifetime. What a terrible time to be alive.
This, sadly

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
He resigned. All of that, therefore, goes out of the window!

And if he didn't do anything wrong, he wouldn't have had to resign.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The next Prime Minister will be the 7th out of our last 10 Prime Ministers to get the job because of a leadership resignation rather than an election. They'll follow Truss, Johnson, May, Brown, Major & Callaghan. None of them called a general election until they considered it expedient to their own chances of winning. It may not seem fair, but its not undemocratic. Our democracy votes for MPs, not for a head of state. If you wish to rail against things being 'undemocratic' then perhaps turn your attention to the process that saw the recent succession of our actual head of state.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Come on, elect him then boot him out for a bit.

For him to be booted out, he would actually have to turn up occasionally. When was the last time he set foot in Westminster? A lazy good for nothing who is happy to accept paid for holidays all year round.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sir Roger Gale giving Boris both barrels now on BBC 2's Politics Live.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know the FTSE is a bit depressed at the moment, but if Johnson is a candidate I'd buy the laughing stock.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
it's all in a bit of a pickle 🧀

have we run out of sensible options?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Win percentage at Brighton:

Micky Adams:

1999-2001 - 45.6%
2008-2009 - 24.4%

Alan Mullery:

1976-1981 - 43.78%
1986-1987 - 26.92%

Conservative poll lead:

End of July 2019 after Johnson takes over from Truss: +10%
7/7/2022 When Johnson resigns in disgrace: -12%

Never go back to a successful manager, let alone an unscuccesful one!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What's your gut feeling old boy?

We had riots the length and breadth of the nation from 'disaffected youths' in the lead up to the King's first nuptials in 1981, similar scenario in the build up to the Coronation?
(except it won't be just youths this time :()
I don't think there will riots or major violent protests, so many are working their nuts off just to stand still in jobs without union representation, people can't/won't protest as their spirits are broken. So many people working and hoping they don't get ill or need social care knowing the only hope they get of a wage increase is when the government Minimum Wage goes up.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its remarkable really. We've had non stop Tories on the TV and radio the past couple of days saying that what we need now is Unity and Stability. I couldn't agree more.

And then Boris steps into the leadership race. His supporters call it 'Boris or Bust'. His opposers say they'll quit the Conservative Party and sit as an independent if he comes back. The country is split between those who hate him and those who love him. His very entry into the race destroys any possibility of Unity or Stability. His supporters promise 'Bust' if he isn't elected - chaos awaits. His election will guarantee Disunity within the party and the country at large.

Disunity and Disarray seems inevitable now, whatever the outcome.......... thanks Tories.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It doesn’t matter

People who vote for him don’t care

People that care didn’t vote for him in first place
Can you remain Prime Minister if you are booted out of Parliament ?

He'd have to be made an emergency member of the House of Lords if that is even possible in short order.

Bring on the Clown Show I say. Bring him back, then boot him out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here