Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The PM is whoever has the confidence of the commons.
I don't like the current Conservative party but their MPs are entirely within their rights to select whoever they like as their leader.
Let's see how they cock up next :facepalm::shootself
I'm not disputing their right, clearly they can..and they have. My point was more about Sunak's mandate....just like the previous lot had not mandate from the electorate to carry out their disasterous budget.

And let's not forget even the party members did not want Sunak......for whatever reason that might be?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not disputing their right, clearly they can..and they have. My point was more about Sunak's mandate....just like the previous lot had not mandate from the electorate to carry out their disasterous budget.

And let's not forget even the party members did not want Sunak......for whatever reason that might be?
One thing you can be absolutely 💯 certain of.

If the roles were reversed and say Starmer is ousted with pitiful ratings 2 years out from a GE, with a new labour leader assuming PM, there's simply no way they would hold the "GE in the national interest" they call for today.

They're both duplicitous in this respect. Gaining power and holding onto it will always trump any fake moral argument (that's only real intent is to gain power and hold onto it!)

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
well not really. 200 odd MPs representing their constituents. thats the idea of representitive democracy.
Yes, it's not ideal that a couple of hundred MPs get to choose the next PM, but at least they had to get elected to that position so it's considerably more democratic than it being decided by a few thousand people who've done no more than pay a membership fee, some of who wouldn't even qualify to vote in a UK GE.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
What a time to be in the UK when I'm actually pleased Rishi has got in despite him boasting about removing funding from poor areas and his disdain for the working classes during the leadership campaign with Liz.

The mental thing for me is the Tory party members kicking off on Twitter about the "members not having a say" after they inflicted Truss on us for those disastrous 44 days. That lot shouldn't be trusted to get a round in let alone decide the PM of the UK.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One thing you can be absolutely 💯 certain of.

If the roles were reversed and say Starmer is ousted with pitiful ratings 2 years out from a GE, with a new labour leader assuming PM, there's simply no way they would hold the "GE in the national interest" they call for today.

They're both duplicitous in this respect. Gaining power and holding onto it will always trump any fake moral argument (that's only real intent is to gain power and hold onto it!)
Has to be said that Corbyn did give Johnson the GE he wanted when Labour were polling in the mid 20s. Although I think that was more to do with Corbyn and Momentum's delusion than any sort of democratic integrity.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not been following the Tory infighting, but did he just completely blank Grant Shapps on arriving at Tory HQ? Think it was Shapps.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Apparently he addressed his colleagues and warned about an existential threat faced by the Conservative Party. Good to see his priorities already in order. Don't worry about the existantial threats to the planet, to the United Kingdom, to the economy, or to democracy. Let's make sure the Conservative Party is alright.

Altogether now Pete! Meet the new boss...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, it's not ideal that a couple of hundred MPs get to choose the next PM, but at least they had to get elected to that position so it's considerably more democratic than it being decided by a few thousand people who've done no more than pay a membership fee, some of who wouldn't even qualify to vote in a UK GE.
Yeah if you change the entire meaning of the word...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Unless you're planning on having elections every time we have a budget, that's just a fact of life. Any government can change their policies once they're in power, whether for good reasons like a changing economic climate, or bad reasons like the chancellor being sacked and replaced with a drooling incompetent moron. With this lot it's the same shit, different orifice.
Edmund Burke once told his constituents in Bristol that he owed them his judgment, not his slavish adherence to their opinions. He lost the next election funnily enough.
To be honest, I don't give a monkeys about the thoughts of Conservative party members.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be fair I wouldn’t hug Hancock. He looks like he shoves his fingers up his own arse.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fair enough, I just find it interesting that you assert that the Tory members essentially will not "vote for a darkie", but the best man for the job of Labour leader has always literally been a man. And white. Is it just a freak happening that someone with dark skin and/or female has never been the best person to lead the Labour Party?
Well, bearing in mind that Labour's 'Best Man for the Job' might well have been Diane Abbott, perhaps not surprising.

With Labour's history and ethos of left wing policies, socially in favour of the working man, the under-dog, etc, the obvious thought would be that the under-privileged on society, such as immigrants and ethnic minorities would favour Labour. Undoubtedly many will vote Labour, but I've no empiric data how the voting patterns break down.

However, ethnic minorities do seem to be well represented in the ranks of Tory politicians, both in the commons and in local government. Perhaps they're just very ambitious, and the Tory party seems a good way to 'get on'? It seems to have worked for Rishi (in spite of some of the 167,000 doing their best to stop him!)

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Apparently he addressed his colleagues and warned about an existential threat faced by the Conservative Party. Good to see his priorities already in order. Don't worry about the existantial threats to the planet, to the United Kingdom, to the economy, or to democracy. Let's make sure the Conservative Party is alright.

Altogether now Pete! Meet the new boss...
I've been on the verge of launching stuff at the Radio or whatever screen for weeks now - It's all they talk about, the part, the next election etc etc. They have no integrity whatsoever. On the subject of Sunak, he seems to be getting some good press as he's kind of dapper, well spoken and brown skinned. He has horrendous ideas on how to deal with immigration and redistribution of wealth. He's a weapon grade ***t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here