Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Which bit of that would you dispute - bigger, or better?

The latter is more of a subjective call, so we'd have to agree some criteria to hammer that one out, but I don't see much debate around the former.

Does anyone really think Brighton is a bigger club than Celtic? Really?! :facepalm:

I think Brighton is a more interesting Job then Celtic. I kicked a ping pong ball to my cat who showed great control, I think even if she (I know! controversial) was in charge of Celtic they would finish no lower then second.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

The latter is more of a subjective call, so we'd have to agree some criteria to hammer that one out, but I don't see much debate around the former.

Does anyone really think Brighton is a bigger club than Celtic? Really?! :facepalm:
No Celtic are much bigger, we might be more wealthy though and that’s all that matters in football. Sadly.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I was thinking the same. I can't see any dispute in comparing Celtic to us in terms of bigger and 'better' historically. They clearly win on both counts.

Maybe the bit that is troubling rool is about their manager being mad to give up what he's built up there?

Brendan Rogers gave up monkey tennis for the EPL halfway through a season, so nothing surprising in that regard.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I really need to stop reading this crap.
This is Kris Boyd
“The reality is that Celtic are a far bigger and better club than Brighton. Given what he’s built at Celtic, it would be absolute madness to give it up now.”

Celtic are a bigger club than us, winning trophies in their domestic league, and playing in the Champions League. It's a big fish in a small pond scenario but they're still a bigger fish than us. Not sure what is meant by being a 'better' club, so debatable. But the Premier League is an absolutely massive step up from the Scottish Premiership. If Postecoglou had been at Celtic a few more years maybe he would think he's done all he can there and then fancy a pop at our league, but he's only been there a year so probably not going to happen anytime soon.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I really need to stop reading this crap.
This is Kris Boyd
“The reality is that Celtic are a far bigger and better club than Brighton. Given what he’s built at Celtic, it would be absolute madness to give it up now.”

Kris Boyd is making a mistake here only in that he's missing the forest while looking at the trees. It's not about the clubs in isolation, is it? The reality is, Brighton are in the EPL and Celtic are not. Let's face it: Celtic are a great club for managers to go to to prove their quality. As long as the manager is good enough to maintain their top 2 credentials in Scotland, they're guaranteed some form of European competition - which is a great opportunity to put themselves on the radar of other clubs. However, Celtic will always be a stepping-stone for any manager that is actually half decent. They'll follow Celtic by moving to a bigger league, either at a bigger club or at a club that's on the up that they can use as their next step on the ladder.

And that is why Brighton are going to be a much bigger draw that Boyd seems to think. We're a club on the up, we're well managed, there's a clear opportunity here for a manager to establish their career for years to come by consolidating what Bloom and Potter have built and potentially putting Brighton into Europe.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Would love it if Ange came. Every Scot and every player who's ever played in Scotland and has been asked about
it has been incredulous at the suggestion.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Would love it if Ange came. Every Scot and every player who's ever played in Scotland and has been asked about

Indeed. They never learn either.

They were similarly incredulous at the suggestion Rodgers would leave Celtic for Leicester, and once again outraged at the ridiculous suggestion that Gerrard would step down from rangers to Villa.

McClowns

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Indeed. They never learn either.

They were similarly incredulous at the suggestion Rodgers would leave Celtic for Leicester, and once again outraged at the ridiculous suggestion that Gerrard would step down from rangers to Villa.

McClowns

But both those went to clubs that have plenty of cash to spend - Villa in particular have been throwing money about. But given the Albion's well reported salary levels, I'm staggered that we're paying more than a club that's in Europe every season - even given the compo that Chelsea have paid

rool

Jul 10, 2003

That's my point really. You can't dispute they are bigger historically and fanbase wise, after all, nearly every catholic in the British Isles I know has them as a second club at least.
Better? Right now? Stated as fact! It's the same as my Palmeiras supporting son in law. How do you measure betterness between teams in different leagues?
I personally think the quality of football in the Brazilian league is quite poor compared to the Premier League.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

It’s beyond laughable, similarly people suggesting we’re a bigger club than Forest. They must be having a field day on the Palace boards reading this delusional rubbish, as if we haven’t given them enough to laugh about already this past week.

:amex:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Personally, of the linked candidates, De Zerbi is the one I would want as I know more about him having watched Sassuolo a bit under him and I like everything I know and have read about him. From what I've seen of Bodo and recently read up on Knutsen since he was linked, I also like him as a second choice though and he seemed like the obvious one for us to go for.

Postecoglou I'm really not sure about as I never watch Scottish football and have no interest in it - from what I've read he doesn't especially excite. I watched the highlights of their game against Madrid and I appreciate they did ok. He seems to be very highly thought of though generally and some on here seem keen so can someone who is more clued up on him fill me in as to why he'd be a good option?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here