Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Would Serena Weigman not be such a candidate?

Serena Weigman is a class manger, she is Englands’s best chance of winning a World Cup. Not sure she would be be willing to give that up to join us.

She also seems like a classy person and I would not want her to be on the end of the inevitable cr@p she would have to take, just because she is a woman.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I don't think TB would have a problem with hiring a woman if there was a clear and obvious candidate that fitted what the club wants (successful and willing to play brave, progressive possession football) and needs (used to working with fairly small resources and have emphasis on player development) but there just isn't a clear and obvious candidate like that in women's football right now. National teams often pay more than clubs in the women's side of football meaning that when you show some qualities you quickly go on to coach national teams, making it difficult to really know what they'd do with a club team. Hayes is probably as close as we can get, but she's worked for ten years in a club where she can just buy a world class player whenever she needs one which is just very far from the situation she'd be in if she came to Brighton.

Wouldn't the bigger problems be that she never really played football at any level (injury), has not managed a men's team at any level, and has neither coached or managed players anywhere near the physical, skill and tactical levels required the the English Premier League.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wouldn't the bigger problems be that she never really played football at any level (injury), has not managed a men's team at any level, and has neither coached or managed players anywhere near the physical, skill and tactical levels required the the English Premier League.

None of that matters if it is someone who is good enough at leadership, knowledge and coaching.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
It seems no manager comes alone anymore. As we found out to our great disappointment, most managers tend to bring a pose of assistant coaches with them. Apparently Knutsen works with a Mental coach (as in a coach that teaches meditation and mindfulness, not as in some kind of Scandinavian berserker) who is ex-Norwegian Air Force. Could be very much inline with Potter's emotional intelligence stuff.

[tweet]1451576430127628290[/tweet]

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It seems no manager comes alone anymore. As we found out to our great disappointment, most managers tend to bring a pose of assistant coaches with them. Apparently Knutsen works with a Mental coach (as in a coach that teaches meditation and mindfulness, not as in some kind of Scandinavian berserker) who is ex-Norwegian Air Force. Could be very much inline with Potter's emotional intelligence stuff.

[tweet]1451576430127628290[/tweet]

Yup, you can read a decent interview with Björn (the Scandinavian berserker) here:

http://www.nordiskfootball.fr/nous-...n-mannsverk-preparateur-mental-de-bodo-glimt/

Scroll down for the English version

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Bjørn Mannsverk (lit. “man’s work”)

I LOVE him already.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
None of that matters if it is someone who is good enough at leadership, knowledge and coaching.

I think you will find that those experiences that Emma Hayes doesn't have are the things that would have given her leadership skills, football knowledge and coaching skills in the men's game which I think we can all agree, is significantly different to the women's game. I am not saying it is impossible that someone with her apparent skill-set could be parachuted into the top end of the English Premier League and succeed, but it is extremely unlikely.

Tony Bloom will appoint the candidate with the best chance of succeeding regardless of gender but the suggestion that the only thing stopping him appointing Emma Hayes is our budget is laughable.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think you will find that those experiences that Emma Hayes doesn't have are the things that would have given her leadership skills, football knowledge and coaching skills in the men's game which I think we can all agree, is significantly different to the women's game. I am not saying it is impossible that someone with her apparent skill-set could be parachuted into the top end of the English Premier League and succeed, but it is extremely unlikely.

Tony Bloom will appoint the candidate with the best chance of succeeding regardless of gender but the suggestion that the only thing stopping him appointing Emma Hayes is our budget is laughable.

So how do you explain Corinne Diacres pretty good results at Clermont? She had quite limited experience, far less than Hayes, from managing even women, and then took over Clermont in Ligue 2 (which is not that far from Championship level) and they had some of their best seasons for a long time and then got poached by the French women's national team.

Obviously she received the same suspicion based on her gender over there as in England:
“I had sent applications to many clubs to coach women's teams and I received no response. (...) I was not sure to twice this opportunity twice. I couldn't refuse. I knew that by accepting, I would be seen as the only woman in a male universe, and that's exactly what happened. From my point of view, Clermont needed a coach and they recruited me for this position. It was the media that talked about me more as a woman than as a coach”.

By the end of it she was fecking tired and went to the French women's team, saying:
“I can't take it anymore. I get asked the same questions thirty times a day. The worst was before the start of the season because we couldn't talk about the matches.”

From the fine results and the reactions, we can know two things - some women are able to coach men's team, but many men will never believe in them.
Give more of them a chance and they'd do just fine.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Neither has Thomas Frank, he's doing OK.

As for the second part, that's true of every single manager before they become a manager. Pep Guardiola had one year coaching the Barca B team before taking the main job. Is that really greater management experience than Hayes twelve years managing, including ten years at one of the best teams in the women's game with 12 major trophies? She is a proven winner.

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Neither has Thomas Frank, he's doing OK.

As for the second part, that's true of every single manager before they become a manager. Pep Guardiola had one year coaching the Barca B team before taking the main job. Is that really greater management experience than Hayes twelve years managing, including ten years at one of the best teams in the women's game with 12 major trophies? She is a proven winner.

She's managing women, not men.

The levels of egos at the highest level would be huge in the men's game.

Even male managers are faced with "losing the change room" over personality clashes.

Then there's the different cultures that can be at a football club from around the world among the players.

Don't expect they will all have the same attitude to a female coach telling them what to do as female players would.

There's a hell of a lot of complexities at play in a team and this just adds another very different layer to the mix.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
This guy has a phenomenal win rate.

If we want him well need to wait until the end of the Brazilian season, which could be on 13th November.

That's at least 8 Premier league games for Crofty to hold the fort.

Ferreira could then join us in the mid season break and have a pseudo preseason with the majority of the squad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
She's managing women, not men.

The levels of egos at the highest level would be huge in the men's game.

Even male managers are faced with "losing the change room" over personality clashes.

Then there's the different cultures that can be at a football club from around the world among the players.

Don't expect they will all have the same attitude to a female coach telling them what to do as female players would.

There's a hell of a lot of complexities at play in a team and this just adds another very different layer to the mix.

This all sounds familiar. Let's look at what people thought about women becoming doctors

"Men have never made an outcry against women’s entering upon any occupation however hard or “degrading,” unless that occupation were one in which they would compete with men" (Westminster Hospital review)

“Whenever women are present, the male students, instead of turning to athletics, which keep the place together and create a valuable esprit de corps, turn to social distractions. They tend to become what are called in the Navy ‘poodle fakers’, that is, fellows who like parties more than games. (Daily Mirror)

"The ‘lady-doctor is a ‘traitress to her sex and in a civilised society, women should not follow their own eccentric longings for the will-o’-the-wisp pleasures of independence" (British Medical Journal)

"No woman of true delicacy would be willing in the presence of men to listen to the discussion of subjects that necessarily come under consideration of the students of medicine. Resolved, that we object to having the company of any female forced upon us, who is disposed to unsex herself, and to sacrifice her modesty by appearing with men in the lecture room" (Dean of Harvard College)

"Women seeking advanced education would develop monstrous brains and puny bodies and abnormally weak digestion." (Harvard again)

[Narrator's voice] Women now outnumber men at medical school

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Let's be honest, lovely idea as it is (I would and always would rather be managed by a woman) it's simply not going to even be discussed this time around.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Let's be honest, lovely idea as it is (I would and always would rather be managed by a woman) it's simply not going to even be discussed this time around.

No, it's not because there's been no woman mentioned in the discussion. But Tyrone was putting forward the view that no men's team would ever accept being managed by a woman (even though one has). It's not happening at Brighton this week but there will definitely be a league team managed by a woman in the near future.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Let's be honest, lovely idea as it is (I would and always would rather managed by a woman) it's simply not going to be even be discussed this time around.

Anytime around.

Its a fairytale for a woman to manage a top men's side, one day someone may risk it in a low division ( I doubt it ).

You don't even get women helping out as part of a coaching groups as yet, not that I am aware off.

we are much further away from this happening than people think or would like to think.

I personally don't see it ever happening

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You don't even get women helping out as part of a coaching groups as yet, not that I am aware off.

But it's OK in English cricket - why isn't it OK in English football?
But it's OK in French football - why isn't it OK in English football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here