Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Newspaper Subscriptions

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Those with an online subscription may wish to think about signing up with Brighton & Hove library service. My account, which is free, provides access to a wide range of physical, eBooks and audio books together with online access to UK and international newspapers and magazines . Sadly not the Times or Sunday Times, though I do get the physical Saturday and Sunday Times.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I subscribe to the Grauniad. Although I prefer to buy a paper and read it TBH. Usually FT weekend and Observer. Very occasionally the Sunday Times For a change,

Private eye is a good call. I still buy it periodically.

One of our old neighbours worked for the Torygraph, he was actually a nice bloke, as were his two sons I used to play football with back in the day. His wife was a racist vitriolic stuck up bitch.

If I need bias there's the BBC. For serious news its NSC & VIZ. Obviously.

NorfolkGull

Oct 2, 2021
Private Eye is great value at £38 a year and they are welcome to my money.
I get free Saturday and Sunday Telegraph from Waitrose for the cryptic crossword and to get angry at the anti migrant far right vitriol.
I use my wife's Waitrose App to get a free Guardian and flick through it, having read most online already.
Rest of the week I use a 12 foot ladder on various news sites.
You don’t though. Waitrose stopped the free papers a while back.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Those with an online subscription may wish to think about signing up with Brighton & Hove library service. My account, which is free, provides access to a wide range of physical, eBooks and audio books together with online access to UK and international newspapers and magazines . Sadly not the Times or Sunday Times, though I do get the physical Saturday and Sunday Times.
Ooooohhh. Just taking a look at that.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I recently signed up to the Daily Telegraph free subscription three month offer. It's not really my kind of editorial and the coronation coverage has been nauseous. I really have started to notice the Tory bias as well. I'm not inclined towards newspapers with any political bias, even a line that matches my own leanings, although I do read a lot of broadsheet articles as they are much better than anything else on offer.

The Telegraph has always been outstanding for sport though. Today I went to cancel it and suddenly I'm offered £39 for a whole year instead of £189. I'm now tempted to keep it.

Do any folk here have online subscriptions ? If you don't, and are tempted, I would recommend the sign up for cheap and then go to cancel route. You my find them suddenly affordable at a level you are okay with.
Was offered the same this time last year ….and echo Westies thoughts….I took it….I listen to Guardian podcast and some free stuff they do for a bit of balance

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I recently signed up to the Daily Telegraph free subscription three month offer. It's not really my kind of editorial and the coronation coverage has been nauseous. I really have started to notice the Tory bias as well. I'm not inclined towards newspapers with any political bias, even a line that matches my own leanings, although I do read a lot of broadsheet articles as they are much better than anything else on offer.

The Telegraph has always been outstanding for sport though. Today I went to cancel it and suddenly I'm offered £39 for a whole year instead of £189. I'm now tempted to keep it.

Do any folk here have online subscriptions ? If you don't, and are tempted, I would recommend the sign up for cheap and then go to cancel route. You my find them suddenly affordable at a level you are okay with.
If you live in west Sussex (not sure about East?) You can get the DT, Guardian, Independent, Express, Mirror, local rags and a tonne of other stuff like all latest magazines for absolutely free.

Press Reader app which has a monthly subscription in normal circumstances, also has entirely sponsored free access from many counties (though not all) if you hold a library card in the county.

For sure West Sussex is one of them, so with WS library card you get a tonne of publications including the DT free.

Just use the "sign in" with "library or group" feature.

you're welcome!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If you live in west Sussex (not sure about East?) You can get the DT, Guardian, Independent, Express, Mirror, local rags and a tonne of other stuff like all latest magazines for absolutely free.

Press Reader app which has a monthly subscription in normal circumstances, also has entirely sponsored free access from many counties if you hold a library card in the county.

For sure West Sussex is one of them, so with WS library card you get a tonne of publications including the DT free.

Just use the "sign in with library card" feature.

Yes, I have a Brighton membership. Only just signed up after an earlier post.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS

Press Reader app which has a monthly subscription in normal circumstances, also has entirely sponsored free access from many counties (though not all) if you hold a library card in the county.

Just use the "sign in" with "library or group" feature.

you're welcome!

This is superb and had no idea! Just been browsing the huge range of publications and the only slight fly in the ointment is that I can't save any as favourites. I was also hoping that Private Eye would be included but sadly not. There IS Viz though so just spent a happy while reading the latest issue gratis! Thanks @peterward !

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Used to have Telegraph and Spectator subscriptions. Really enjoyed the Spectator and similar to the OP, every time I went to cancel I got blindsided with an offer too good to turn down so I kept on renewing. If I had more time I'd be tempted to sign back up.

Guardian is not up my street but their sports section seems good from some of the online articles I read.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I signed up the six week trial of The Week. And am going to stay on. Superb round up of the weeks’ news from various sources and different papers.

I love it and no political bias or propaganda.

Better than any paper going.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
For many years now I've had a 7-day print sub to The Times, which also now comes with digital access for the times I'm on holiday and want to catch up with the odd article (particularly some of the regular columnists such as Crampton and Coren). I'm not completely sold on the digital version so doubt I'd move to that. I'm a lot more selective online than browsing through the pages IRL. I've also got a sub to Empire (which I've read since issue 1) and When Saturday Comes. And Dogma of course!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is superb and had no idea! Just been browsing the huge range of publications and the only slight fly in the ointment is that I can't save any as favourites. I was also hoping that Private Eye would be included but sadly not. There IS Viz though so just spent a happy while reading the latest issue gratis! Thanks @peterward !
Every 30 days it will get you to resubmit the library card number and then giv another 30 days access, been using it on my ipad daily for 4 years all courtesy of west sussex libraries!

Occasionally it asks "share location with press reader" I always hit deny, as Ive used it abroad on holidays too and wasnt sure it would work if it knew I was in Spain etc!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I loved the Guardian, but it’s not just me who said this, during the entire Pandemic they were on overdrive to talk down this country. Falsely portraying it as the world’s Covid basket case, palpably reluctant to look into detail on many near neighbours with similar death rates. It got party political. I like stats, benchmarking, I love Europe and hearing about Europe’s pandemic. They failed. Plus for some reason, possibly they’re outgunned on salaries, their football coverage is so weak. The Times and Telegraph by contrast often have amazing articles about the Albion.
Coming back to this. I've just renewed the Telegraph subscription. It asked for £189 for a year and I went to cancel. Then it offered £19 for the year :lolol: I was expecting a discount but not that much.

I feel sorry for those who decide to go with the full amount.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
FT Digital subscription. No sport, but most other things covered. I must ignore around 90% of the content, but the stuff that grabs my attention is usually well presented, interesting and relevant to me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Coming back to this. I've just renewed the Telegraph subscription. It asked for £189 for a year and I went to cancel. Then it offered £19 for the year :lolol: I was expecting a discount but not that much.

I feel sorry for those who decide to go with the full amount.

I was paying a lowish £10 DD per month for years and I’d never negotiated! My luck ran out in May when they upped it to £20 per month. @LamieRobertson advised me to give them a call, I got that down to £69 annually. I’m pleased with.

I love the DT … daily I read travel, sport, money, often Ukraine.

I’ve never read a newspaper editorial in my life, and find it effortless to disregard the biased propaganda dressed as current affairs in all the broadsheets.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FT Digital subscription. No sport, but most other things covered. I must ignore around 90% of the content, but the stuff that grabs my attention is usually well presented, interesting and relevant to me.

That appealed to me not so long ago, as they give more content on investments. But I didn’t commit to another subscription. The free bits are a well presented mine of information.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I was paying a lowish £10 DD per month for years and I’d never negotiated! My luck ran out in May when they upped it to £20 per month. @LamieRobertson advised me to give them a call, I got that down to £69 annually. I’m pleased with.

I love the DT … daily I read travel, sport, money, often Ukraine.

I’ve never read a newspaper editorial in my life, and find it effortless to disregard the biased propaganda dressed as current affairs in all the broadsheets.
I have a feeling that it offered me a silly price because it knows how little I have read it. Now it's there and paid for I suspect I will read it a lot more. Basically, I'd forgotten about it. I wonder if there is a Kindle edition.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Is there any of the more left wing posters on here who subscribe online to the Byline Times?
I realise it doesn't have the same gravitas as the Times, or Telegraph but, I'm curious as to whether it is worth a look. The few articles I have read have impressed me.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I subscribe to the Telegraph - got a ridiculous deal - and New Scientist. I used to subscribe to the New York Times and L'Equipe but found I wasn't reading them enough, so I stopped.

I'm an avid user of the library services - both online and in person, like flicking through the Speccy and the New Statesman.

And, of course, I get Private Eye every issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here