Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Newspaper Subscriptions

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I recently signed up to the Daily Telegraph free subscription three month offer. It's not really my kind of editorial and the coronation coverage has been nauseous. I really have started to notice the Tory bias as well. I'm not inclined towards newspapers with any political bias, even a line that matches my own leanings, although I do read a lot of broadsheet articles as they are much better than anything else on offer.

The Telegraph has always been outstanding for sport though. Today I went to cancel it and suddenly I'm offered £39 for a whole year instead of £189. I'm now tempted to keep it.

Do any folk here have online subscriptions ? If you don't, and are tempted, I would recommend the sign up for cheap and then go to cancel route. You my find them suddenly affordable at a level you are okay with.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We discussed this recently, you’ll recall :). I’m able to mentally and immediately block out the DT Coronation, politics stuff. If you read in detail their economics, business and money pages, they’re actually highly critical of Sunak and Hunt. For example an article today on the economic miracle of Poland, another on Tories losing the Red Wall and destined for oblivion.

Non readers lazily lump it together with the Mail and Express. Nothing could be further the truth. They operate dog whistle party politics.

An alternative, my wife subscribes to The Times, loving their lifestyle pages, but it’s funding Murdoch!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We discussed this recently, you’ll recall :). I’m able to mentally and immediately block out the DT Coronation, politics stuff. If you read in detail their economics, business and money pages, they’re actually highly critical of Sunak and Hunt. For example an article today on the economic miracle of Poland, another on Tories losing the Red Wall and destined for oblivion.

Non readers lazily lump it together with the Mail and Express. Nothing could be further the truth. They operate dog whistle party politics.

An alternative, my wife subscribes to The Times, loving their lifestyle pages, but it’s funding Murdoch!
Yeah, I do agree. It's why I'm tempted to keep it at the rate they offer. The sport is outstanding and there will be enough useful stuff elsewhere to read daily.

I think The Times is better. But I can't bring myself to fund Murdoch.

The Guardian is closer to me politically, but I don't want an echo chamber. In many ways I'd rather read something that I have issues with at times.

The Mail & Express are sewage swill.

I think £39 is good value.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I recently signed up to the Daily Telegraph free subscription three month offer. It's not really my kind of editorial and the coronation coverage has been nauseous. I really have started to notice the Tory bias as well. I'm not inclined towards newspapers with any political bias, even a line that matches my own leanings, although I do read a lot of broadsheet articles as they are much better than anything else on offer.

The Telegraph has always been outstanding for sport though. Today I went to cancel it and suddenly I'm offered £39 for a whole year instead of £189. I'm now tempted to keep it.

Do any folk here have online subscriptions ? If you don't, and are tempted, I would recommend the sign up for cheap and then go to cancel route. You my find them suddenly affordable at a level you are okay with.
No need for subscriptions.
Use these:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeah, I do agree. It's why I'm tempted to keep it at the rate they offer. The sport is outstanding and there will be enough useful stuff elsewhere to read daily.

The Guardian is closer to me politically, but I don't want an echo chamber. In many ways I'd rather read something that I have issues with at times.

I loved the Guardian, but it’s not just me who said this, during the entire Pandemic they were on overdrive to talk down this country. Falsely portraying it as the world’s Covid basket case, palpably reluctant to look into detail on many near neighbours with similar death rates. It got party political. I like stats, benchmarking, I love Europe and hearing about Europe’s pandemic. They failed. Plus for some reason, possibly they’re outgunned on salaries, their football coverage is so weak. The Times and Telegraph by contrast often have amazing articles about the Albion.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
New York Times and up until recently the FT. Couldn’t justify the full FT subscription price, so have had to downgrade to “FT Edit” which is a sort of “edited highlights” of the FT. I miss the full FT, but the best price they could offer was more than I could afford in current circumstances.

I hate these little degradations in the quality of information I have access to, but I’m clearly a spectacularly bad capitalist, yet do still believe that good journalism is worth paying for.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I used to subscribe to The Telegraph until they increased the sub by 50%, so for the past 6 months I've been on The Times at £1 per month for a year (not bad value that). As I've pointed out in other threads they seem to be running a love affair with all things Albion so as long as it continues I'll stay. However I do think the Telegraph just shades the Times for overall sport coverage, in particular, cricket.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm currently on The Telegraph at £5pm. Expires in June and hoping for The Times next time. I enjoy Matthew Syed's articles.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I used to subscribe to The Telegraph until they increased the sub by 50%, so for the past 6 months I've been on The Times at £1 per month for a year (not bad value that). As I've pointed out in other threads they seem to be running a love affair with all things Albion so as long as it continues I'll stay. However I do think the Telegraph just shades the Times for overall sport coverage, in particular, cricket.
Yeah, cricket is important to me, especially now the season is upon us. So I might take on the Telegraph.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I'm not sure funding the Barclay Bros is any better than funding Murdoch.

Anyway, back on topic - don't subscribe to any online papers. Occassionaly, if I have a quiet Sunday and the Albion won the day before I'll go and buy a Times. Sport is great and the news isn't overly politically biased. I like the business section as well.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
As far as subscriptions go, just The Athletic as I’m an obsessed football nerd and I love the longer reads and stats/tactics breakdowns they do.

Unfortunately Naylor is the most dull writer they have on there and I definitely don’t subscribe because of the Albion coverage.

The only other ‘paper’ I read is the Guardian as I love Barney Ronay and Jonathan Wilson and luckily that’s still free. I will subscribe if they do go that way though as I have no problem paying for good journalism.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Private Eye is great value at £38 a year and they are welcome to my money.
I get free Saturday and Sunday Telegraph from Waitrose for the cryptic crossword and to get angry at the anti migrant far right vitriol.
I use my wife's Waitrose App to get a free Guardian and flick through it, having read most online already.
Rest of the week I use a 12 foot ladder on various news sites.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As far as subscriptions go, just The Athletic as I’m an obsessed football nerd and I love the longer reads and stats/tactics breakdowns they do.

Unfortunately Naylor is the most dull writer they have on there and I definitely don’t subscribe because of the Albion coverage.

The only other ‘paper’ I read is the Guardian as I love Barney Ronay and Jonathan Wilson and luckily that’s still free. I will subscribe if they do go that way though as I have no problem paying for good journalism.
Add Jonathan Liew to the list of excellent Guardian sports journalists.

Believe it or not, I subscribe to The Gaurdian and Observer iPad edition.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Agree.

Back in Uni I had a girlfriend whose father was a Telegraph subscriber. I used to read it on a Sunday. It was really good journalism. I could see the political divides between where it stood and I stood, but appreciated the argument.

Go for the £39 I say!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I'm with you and HT on Ronay, Liew and Wilson. Ronay and Liew are just wonderful writers, but have penetrating analysis too. Wilson's analytical and historical understanding is second to none though.
The Telegraph has an amazing volume of sports journalism, but not sure they've got any writers to match the quality of those three.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Very happy with Apple News+ at about a tenner a month. Delve beyond the weak selection of stories it pushes to you and there is a gigantic amount of content including many newspapers, domestic and overseas, that would require a separate subscription including The Times and Sunday Times. On top of that, more magazines than you could ever get through including Four Four Two, World Soccer, Boxing News, Radio Times, the BBC wildlife publications, Runner's World, gaming mags, Moneyweek, the celeb-obsessed trashy ones, Empire, Total Film, Rolling Stone.... it goes on and on.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Agree.

Back in Uni I had a girlfriend whose father was a Telegraph subscriber. I used to read it on a Sunday. It was really good journalism. I could see the political divides between where it stood and I stood, but appreciated the argument.

Go for the £39 I say!

The Telegraph is not what it once was.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
The Telegraph is not what it once was.
This. The Telegraph in the early 90’s/2000’s was absolutely a right wing newspaper, but that was before political viewpoints became so weaponised. They fact-checked and wouldn’t knowingly run trash stories just because it suited the incumbent government narrative.

The modern Telegraph has fallen far from this, possibly due to its Johnson cabal links. It remains an improvement on the Mail/Express, but so is blinding yourself and severing your own ears as far as getting an insight into what’s happening in Britain.

I’ve mainly had to switch to news sources based outside the U.K. to get a balanced perspective these days. Reuters online is excellent, the New York Times has excellent international reporting and because the U.K. isn’t its home market tends to report dispassionately.

We really are suffering by comparison to most of the developed world. There’s a lot of pity out there for us, which can become slightly galling, but there’s still an element of disbelief internationally at some of the choices we’ve made over the past decade or so.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I often get to see a copy of the Telegraph and Mail at the weekend and can't understand why people would choose them for the sport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here