Newport county

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Good on them, thought that the outright booing of the national anthem was pathetic though. You are getting promoted to play in the English football league....get over the nationalism bollocks

I don't see why any National Anthem should be played. How many times has the National Anthem been played at the Amex before a match?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don't see why any National Anthem should be played. How many times has the National Anthem been played at the Amex before a match?

Oh dear

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
A superb result for a club that's had more than it's share of problems. I'm expecting a full match report from Lord Bracknell sometime this evening. :)

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
Good on them, thought that the outright booing of the national anthem was pathetic though. You are getting promoted to play in the English football league....get over the nationalism bollocks

Newport County fans have a bit of a reputation, I'm afraid. From that perspective I would have rather had Wrexham. Not that it affects us anyway.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
This Newport County FC have never been in the Football League before. They are a Phoenix Club formed after the original club were wound up and played in England in the first years which is why they are known as "The Exiles". In their early years they were known as Newport and only added County in recent years.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
We have the Sussex National Anthem before every home game,though we do tend to sing it at the wrong speed.

Apart from rare booing in some parts of the south stand it is always met with resounding enthusiasm.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

No such thing as the English Football League. It's The Football League.

Getting over the nationalism bollocks would of course mean NOT playing The National Anthem.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Lord Bracknell will be happy.

He certainly is, he and I went to this, he was quite emotional at the end..

Met the Newport County archivist and historian and had a good chat about all things historical, turns out he knows an old County player, I forget his name, who Lord Bracknell used to go to school with and play footie and cricket in the back yard with when they were 12! They even exchanged a couple of texts between them. Very friendly bunch the County fans.

The booing of the national anthem per match was poor, I'd guess it was more than half of the crowd doing it, took the shine off it a bit for me

My thoughts on the game, Wrexham, lots of hustle and bustle, plenty of long balls, but not a lot of real quality, Omerod, Glenn Little, Andy Morrell, Stephen Wright, Adebola, lots of combined experience at higher levels, but didn't really look the real deal.

Newport, a lot more quality, with much less experienced players, passed it about quite well, some good play up until the final ball which seemed to let them down time and time again. The two goals were crackers though, in the last five minutes, their number 23, Christian Jolley looks like he could play at a higher level than league two. IMO Newport should do OK in League Two, a couple of signings and they'll be fine.

Slightly disappointing attendance, I guess it is a long way for both sets of fans, in times when money is tight. really should have been held somewhere like the Ricoh.

Hoping that when they play Pompey, Wimbledon or D&R next season we'll be playing on the Sunday or Monday and we can get along to watch them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
This Newport County FC have never been in the Football League before. They are a Phoenix Club formed after the original club were wound up and played in England in the first years which is why they are known as "The Exiles". In their early years they were known as Newport and only added County in recent years.

They've been called Newport County since 1912, when they were formed, full name was Newport & Monmouth County Association, but always abbreviated to Newport County.

Yes, they are a Phoenix club, but, like Wimbledon and Aldershot, they are the spiritual successor to the original side, and retain the historical records of the original sides. Wimbledon "got back into the league" as did Aldershot, the same for County.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
He certainly is, he and I went to this, he was quite emotional at the end..

Met the Newport County archivist and historian and had a good chat about all things historical, turns out he knows an old County player, I forget his name, who Lord Bracknell used to go to school with and play footie and cricket in the back yard with when they were 12! They even exchanged a couple of texts between them. Very friendly bunch the County fans.

The booing of the national anthem per match was poor, I'd guess it was more than half of the crowd doing it, took the shine off it a bit for me

My thoughts on the game, Wrexham, lots of hustle and bustle, plenty of long balls, but not a lot of real quality, Omerod, Glenn Little, Andy Morrell, Stephen Wright, Adebola, lots of combined experience at higher levels, but didn't really look the real deal.

Newport, a lot more quality, with much less experienced players, passed it about quite well, some good play up until the final ball which seemed to let them down time and time again. The two goals were crackers though, in the last five minutes, their number 23, Christian Jolley looks like he could play at a higher level than league two. IMO Newport should do OK in League Two, a couple of signings and they'll be fine.

Slightly disappointing attendance, I guess it is a long way for both sets of fans, in times when money is tight. really should have been held somewhere like the Ricoh.

Hoping that when they play Pompey, Wimbledon or D&R next season we'll be playing on the Sunday or Monday and we can get along to watch them.

Geoff Thomas (no, not that one!), I believe. Did he tell you how he put a fork through his ankle?

Lord Bracknell will be happy.
Ecstatic.

This is the team that introduced me to football, back in a childhood that mostly consisted of watching my heroes yo-yo around in the lower levels of the Football League, until - long after I had moved away from Newport - they went through a bit of a golden phase, with a half-way decent team, led by the likes of John Aldridge and Tommy Tynan, qualifying for Europe and nearly, so nearly, reaching the semi-final of the European Cup Winners Cup, until they were suddenly thrown into near-terminal decline ... poor management, relegation to the Conference, financial bancruptcy, expulsion from professional football and the loss of Somerton Park, with nowhere to replace it.

Then the revival. Was it the old Club, brought back to play Hellenic League football 80 miles away in Moreton in Marsh to begin a slow climb up a very big pyramid? Or was it a new Club, sharing not much more than a name and the colour amber with the team I had once supported, week-in, week-out?

The emotion I felt at Wembley this afternoon answers that question for me. This is Newport County, my Newport County, back in the Football League for the first time in a quarter of a century. Never mind the last 25 years - they are but a blip in the story of “County ‘til I die”. We’re back. Well done, Justin Edinburgh and his team. And County will grow again.

Marvellous scenes. This is what could have happened to the Albion, had we lost at Hereford. But how long would it have taken?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
No such thing as the English Football League. It's The Football League.

Getting over the nationalism bollocks would of course mean NOT playing The National Anthem.

There's a Welsh League, a Scottish League, and Irish League (Northern Ireland), the football league is in all but name the English League, to which we gracefully accept the contingent from Wales, who forfeit their options to play their first teams in the Welsh Cups and tournaments (which would give them the option to play in Europe tournaments) to allow them to play in the Football League (and Premier League).

They played the Welsh National Anthem, which was well respected, shame they couldn't afford the same for the national anthem of the United Kingdom, of which they are part.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Ecstatic.

This is the team that introduced me to football, back in a childhood that mostly consisted of watching my heroes yo-yo around in the lower levels of the Football League, until - long after I had moved away from Newport - they went through a bit of a golden phase, with a half-way decent team, led by the likes of John Aldridge and Tommy Tynan, qualifying for Europe and nearly, so nearly, reaching the semi-final of the European Cup Winners Cup, until they were suddenly thrown into near-terminal decline ... poor management, relegation to the Conference, financial bancruptcy, expulsion from professional football and the loss of Somerton Park, with nowhere to replace it.

Then the revival. Was it the old Club, brought back to play Hellenic League football 80 miles away in Moreton in Marsh and beginning a slow climb up a very big pyramid. Or was it a new Club, sharing not much more than a name and the colour amber with the team I had once supported, week-in, week-out?

The emotion I felt at Wembley this afternoon answers that question for me. This is Newport County, my Newport County, back in the Football League for the first time in a quarter of a century. Never mind the last 25 years - they are but a blip in the story of “County ‘til I die”. We’re back. Well done, Justin Edinburgh and his team. And County will grow again.

Marvellous scenes. This is what could have happened to the Albion, had we lost at Hereford. But how long would it have taken?

I've just realised you're a bloody jinx! Really pleased for you. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports