Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Currently don’t give a shit about tonight’s game :shrug:

Potter OUT if we lose though? (Not for this Potter fanboy obviously)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Oh dear. Be Here Now hasn’t covered himself in glory. Just shows, be careful what you post :)

Makes a change from me covering myself in something else.

That comment was in reply to one of their fans saying we were ‘the least glamorous team in the PL’. I thought beggars can’t be choosers. It was discussed on another tread. All about context old sport.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Really excited about tonight’s game.

It’s the cup! That necessity of winning feeling is back and a loss will be extremely embarrassing, this is what it’s all about.

Newport County and their fans will be well up for it, no reason why we shouldn’t be.

Really looking forward to a more than capable side being put out tonight, just like the Preston North End and Portsmouth games. This is definitely one of the perks of being a PL team.

Love the cup, our only real chance of winning something.

Write that in your ****ing programme.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Ok there is the plague at the moment, but years ago, the FA cup was the highlight of my football year.

In all the years I have been watching Brighton, the Final against MANU was the best day out I have had. Fantastic run, saw every game including the Newcastle replay ( up in leeds for work) there was hardly any of us up there that night.

Now the grail is throwing out second teams ( and everyone does it) as staying in the shite that is the prem is the be and end all.

Such a shame.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've just spotted that Aguero will have to self-isolate and will miss our match on Wednesday.

Hopefully he also invited De Bruyne, Sterling, Ederson and Gündogan round for dinner.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Managers tend to fall into two camps:

1) The cup is great - if we're doing well in the league it's a chance to keep momentum going, give fringe players a chance to show what they can offer and possibly put a bit of pressure on the regulars. If we're not doing well in the league it is a distraction from the pressure of the league, a chance to get a confidence boost that could bleed into the league form. The longer we stay in the better.

2) The cup is a distraction - if we're on a good run it's extra games that can tire players and possibly injure them. A good run can distract people and take their focus off the league, if they don't do well it can be a pin prick to the confidence, the crack that interrupts momentum. The sooner we're out, the better.

Given his team selections last season and against Preston this season (and to a lesser extent the Man Utd line up - though the starting 11 was stronger, the bench was full of youngsters), I'm inclined to think Potter is in the second group. He'll pick a weak side and won't be that upset if we lose.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Just hoping for zero injuries. Dont really care about result or performance, sure it will be a bit fun to watch Tau and perhaps some youngster but generally meh...

Brighton can win the cup some year when you are allowed to watch it instead... this season its more a nuisance

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Just hoping for zero injuries. Dont really care about result or performance, sure it will be a bit fun to watch Tau and perhaps some youngster but generally meh...

Brighton can win the cup some year when you are allowed to watch it instead... this season its more a nuisance

The last cup we won was early last century I think so I’m not holding my breath to see another in my lifetime. We had our chance in 83 and BLEW it :wink:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I want us to win, not especially fussed about progressing in the Cup this season given the wider picture, but I think a win (and ideally a few goals) to build on the monentum gained from the second half comeback against Wolves would be very useful.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Managers tend to fall into two camps:

1) The cup is great - if we're doing well in the league it's a chance to keep momentum going, give fringe players a chance to show what they can offer and possibly put a bit of pressure on the regulars. If we're not doing well in the league it is a distraction from the pressure of the league, a chance to get a confidence boost that could bleed into the league form. The longer we stay in the better.

2) The cup is a distraction - if we're on a good run it's extra games that can tire players and possibly injure them. A good run can distract people and take their focus off the league, if they don't do well it can be a pin prick to the confidence, the crack that interrupts momentum. The sooner we're out, the better.

Given his team selections last season and against Preston this season (and to a lesser extent the Man Utd line up - though the starting 11 was stronger, the bench was full of youngsters), I'm inclined to think Potter is in the second group. He'll pick a weak side and won't be that upset if we lose.

GP loves the FA Cup (not so much the Cabbalah Cup though), looked like a kid on christmas when managing Swansea in the cup and last year he put out a decent eleven in the horrible game against that massive opponent. Think he defo wants a win here but might still rest a few players. The squad should be deep enough to be able to handle Newport regardless if some normal starters are chilling.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The last cup we won was early last century I think so I’m not holding my breath to see another in my lifetime. We had our chance in 83 and BLEW it :wink:

Mehh. I can imagine Portsmouth & Swansea fans saying the same thing, "not in my lifetime..". Still happened though.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Liverpool v Man City and Chelsea v Spurs in rounds 4 and 5 respectively, will remove half of the threat. We'll get our balls plucked favourably from that little purple sack...hell we might even get a home win on the way to wembelly.(provided we give a professional performance against the exiles)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Mehh. I can imagine Portsmouth & Swansea fans saying the same thing, "not in my lifetime..". Still happened though.

This is Albion we are talking about. You and Potter will be long gone before it happens 😂

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
ErZDx7JXIAQXffZ.jpg

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Im confused.

Have we binned off the league in favour of a cup run?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here