Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Newhaven divided.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I remember the Newhaven of the 70's, the High Street then was pretty dire, but I agree the one way system just bypassed the town and my wife assures me it is horrible there.

and having the main road go through would help? you can drive in to the shopping area, as i recall its terribly laid out and miserable. actually quite alot of space in there though, could pull it down and make a nice shopping centre.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
and having the main road go through would help? you can drive in to the shopping area, as i recall its terribly laid out and miserable. actually quite alot of space in there though, could pull it down and make a nice shopping centre.

The plan is to close the southern part of the ring road and have all the traffic go round the northern part.

Indeed. Perhaps even something like Gunwharf Quays (which I'm amazed they've never really done at Brighton Marina).

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The thought of him expecting Newhaven to be good on the strength of the wonders of Seaford made me laugh before I even noticed your book title reference.

A Tale of Two Sh*theaps?
Absolute rubbish regarding Seaford. It's a very nondescript little middle class town but is in no way a shitheap. Great beach, wonderful location.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ho Chi Minh worked on the bloody Newhaven Dieppe ferry! Why is this not more widely known? It's like discovering Fidel Castro once had a part time job on the Palace Pier ghost train. This is by far the greatest fact I've learned in many, many weeks.
Indeed. Almost on a par with Adolf Hitler working as a painter and decorator in Liverpool I would say (although the locals would probably be less enthusiastic about a memorial, I would think).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Indeed. Almost on a par with Adolf Hitler working as a painter and decorator in Liverpool I would say (although the locals would probably be less enthusiastic about a memorial, I would think).

What makes you think Newhaven residents are enthusiastic about Ho Chi Minh?

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Went on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry last month. Plus I'm off to Vietnam at the end of October.

If I take my ferry ticket stub, will I be treated like a hero of the revolution, or something?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Absolute rubbish regarding Seaford. It's a very nondescript little middle class town but is in no way a shitheap. Great beach, wonderful location.

Newhaven isn't really either, but Dickens never wrote a book called the 'Tale of one nondescript little middle class town and one traditional port town which has suffered from under investment, displacement of established employers and absentee landlords charging extortionate shop rents that have forced businesses out of the town centre', so I had to use poetic license to make the gag work.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Newhaven isn't really either, but Dickens never wrote a book called the 'Tale of one nondescript little middle class town and one traditional port town which has suffered from under investment, displacement of established employers and absentee landlords charging extortionate shop rents that have forced businesses out of the town centre', so I had to use poetic license to make the gag work.
Point taken. Incidentally, Seaford must have had something going for it as Dickens frequently visited the town.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Someone once told me that Newhaven, was cursed by a gypsy who swore that nothing begun there would ever be a success. Thanks Mum & Dad, nice location for a conception.

Is the gypsy's curse still effective, in your personal experience?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Slightly off topic but whos been turning all the wheelie bins in Newhaven and now branching out into Peacehaven into Minions ?

Good effort :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What makes you think Newhaven residents are enthusiastic about Ho Chi Minh?

Well I can tell you we're wild about him in Mid Sussex. Why, I'm sipping tea out of my HCM mug as I type.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not having a one-way system that diverts everyone away from the shopping centre (which has pedestrianised streets lined with empty shops). I'd say that the one-way system is the single biggest reason for Newhaven having sod all going for it.

This and as others have said no free parking.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Slightly off topic but whos been turning all the wheelie bins in Newhaven and now branching out into Peacehaven into Minions ?

Good effort :)

image.jpg

Seen them next to bus stops in Peacehaven and Newhaven, also seen a photo of one on the Rottingdean pond island.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here