Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Newhaven divided.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
And you can say what you like about Benito Mussolini, but during his time in charge of Southern Railways he made the trains run on time.

I'm not sure even Mussolini could do that.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Weird story . The body of it denies the M P 's comments ..Seems the Council are going all the way to foster links with Vietnam ,an up & coming region. Could pay off long term . I wonder what American visitors would think of their one-time arch enemy being memorialised?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I don't really get why Newhaven is such a dive. It's got good transport links, harbour, train station.. what does it need to sort itself out? An decent shopping centre, more parking? Some pedestrianised streets lined with shops?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I don't really get why Newhaven is such a dive. It's got good transport links, harbour, train station.. what does it need to sort itself out? An decent shopping centre, more parking? Some pedestrianised streets lined with shops?

Not having a one-way system that diverts everyone away from the shopping centre (which has pedestrianised streets lined with empty shops). I'd say that the one-way system is the single biggest reason for Newhaven having sod all going for it.

D

Deleted member 22389

It needs a decent council for starters. LDC are a bunch of ******* and do nothing to help the town out.
Be nice if they dropped the car park charges once in a while and used the hundreds of millions of pounds they get from us council tax payers to do a bit of promotion.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It needs a decent council for starters. LDC are a bunch of ******* and do nothing to help the town out.
Be nice if they dropped the car park charges once in a while and used the hundreds of millions of pounds they get from us council tax payers to do a bit of promotion.

I've always had the opinion at LDC doesn't care too much for much other than Lewes itself,

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Newhaven Town council have asked LDC several times if they could take over the car parks. Peacehaven has free car parking but LDC leech the residents of Newhaven for all they can get.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Recently collected a couple of items via Gumtree and had to collect in Newhaven. The town centre needs some money spending but if you go off the beaten track (one way system) there's some really nice roads. I just wish the council would spend a bit of money on it - it could be absolutely gorgeous with the right investment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Newhaven Town council have asked LDC several times if they could take over the car parks. Peacehaven has free car parking but LDC leech the residents of Newhaven for all they can get.

LDC are a disgrace. Having free (or much reduced) parking would make a huge difference to the local economy. As things stand most people park by the B&Q I imagine and there's no real pedestrian route to the town centre from there. Sort it out LDC!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
LDC are a disgrace. Having free (or much reduced) parking would make a huge difference to the local economy. As things stand most people park by the B&Q I imagine and there's no real pedestrian route to the town centre from there. Sort it out LDC!

Lidl's car park and across the bridge. Hopefully the new college will help as students will want to spend their money at lunchtime although I suspect they'll go eastwards to KFC & McDonalds.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Recently collected a couple of items via Gumtree and had to collect in Newhaven. The town centre needs some money spending but if you go off the beaten track (one way system) there's some really nice roads. I just wish the council would spend a bit of money on it - it could be absolutely gorgeous with the right investment.
Glad you noticed! It's all quite nice outside the one way system. I find it really bizarre how shops thrive in Peacehaven when they're all strung out along that stinking road, where in Newhaven they could all be clustered together. It's just plain bizarre that Peacehaven has free parking and Newhaven doesn't, though.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I remember the Newhaven of the 70's, the High Street then was pretty dire, but I agree the one way system just bypassed the town and my wife assures me it is horrible there.

On the other hand there is some new development around the town that seems to be thriving, Sainsburys, the industrial park with B&Q, Macdonalds etc. and the new harbour developments seem nice.

I am not sure the Peacehaven shops are thriving either, the coast road has the banks, the obligatory estate agents that seem to hang in there, a florist that has been there forever and usual convenience stores and although these are fed by the busy main road, try having a look at Peacehavens Meridian Centre, what a depressing place that is.

D

Deleted member 22389

Be lucky if Peacehaven has any free car parks left by the time LDC are finished with them. LDC are selling off the land, working with developers to build homes on them.
Nothing has been decided as to which car parks are going in Peacehaven, but if you know the Steyning Avenue car park, that one is on the list. LDC have lost the plot.

They have honestly got to be one of the worst councils in this country for anything. Value for money we certainly do not get. I hate LDC.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Be lucky if Peacehaven has any free car parks left by the time LDC are finished with them. LDC are selling off the land, working with developers to build homes on them.
Nothing has been decided as to which car parks are going in Peacehaven, but if you know the Steyning Avenue car park, that one is on the list. LDC have lost the plot.

They have honestly got to be one of the worst councils in this country for anything. Value for money we certainly do not get. I hate LDC.

I've seen a lot of land for sale at the top of Peacehaven/Newhaven, about £20k a pop. Seems a bit of a gamble,

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I remember the Newhaven of the 70's, the High Street then was pretty dire, but I agree the one way system just bypassed the town and my wife assures me it is horrible there.

On the other hand there is some new development around the town that seems to be thriving, Sainsburys, the industrial park with B&Q, Macdonalds etc. and the new harbour developments seem nice.

I am not sure the Peacehaven shops are thriving either, the coast road has the banks, the obligatory estate agents that seem to hang in there, a florist that has been there forever and usual convenience stores and although these are fed by the busy main road, try having a look at Peacehavens Meridian Centre, what a depressing place that is.

This is true. They've recently built two big new retail units by the Coast Road too, which remain empty.

It's just a bit odd that Peacehaven still has a couple of banks, but Newhaven has none.

simon swagbag

Jul 8, 2003
Eastbourne
Anyway, back to the Ho Chi Min thing....
Why are they handing the design over to University of Sussex or some college in Chichester?
I'd be more interested to see what the year 7's at Tideway could come up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here