Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle takeover?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Lookers like Vincent Tan, Steve Parish, Mike Ashley .... a beauty parade.

The flies are also attracted to PL cash inflows (Glazers) or exponential rises in the value of their investment (Ashley), although some murderous regimes (Mansour) are using it to Sportswash their awful image.

If there were catwalks, the PL would be in London, Paris and New York.
The SPL would be in Jaywick, Sidley and Newhaven.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
A lot of football snobbery going on here in my opinion. There are good foreign owners and bad foreign owners, just like good British and bad British (Archer was English).

Fluke or not you don't see many Leicester fans complaining about their owners who managed to deliver a League title without selling the soul of the club.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Tony Bloom to any foreign owner as he is a lifelong fan however compared to Mike Ashley I would take a UAE billionaire any day.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
It’ll be us one day

I think the Premier League bubble will eventually burst, like all bubbles do. When that happens it'll be financial carnage... The Arabs will get bored, the Russians will get bored, and it'll all of a sudden become less fashionable to own a PL club.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I think the Premier League bubble will eventually burst, like all bubbles do. When that happens it'll be financial carnage... The Arabs will get bored, the Russians will get bored, and it'll all of a sudden become less fashionable to own a PL club.

Agreed. I love what Tony has done for this club but he is a businessman and will want a return from his investment so I suspect he’ll sell before the days you point out

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A lot of football snobbery going on here in my opinion. There are good foreign owners and bad foreign owners, just like good British and bad British (Archer was English).

Fluke or not you don't see many Leicester fans complaining about their owners who managed to deliver a League title without selling the soul of the club.

Don't get me wrong, I would prefer Tony Bloom to any foreign owner as he is a lifelong fan however compared to Mike Ashley I would take a UAE billionaire any day.

I wasn’t saying that.

Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool have owners who haven’t pumped in £100m’s to subsidise wages and fees, including by sham sponsorship deals to lie a way around FFP.

But it looks like other clubs might be about to embark on the Chelski/Mansour approach.

Fans of such clubs never moan about that, unsurprisingly.

The question is, if a trend of this emerges, will it increasingly squeeze out the Brighton’s of this world from the PL?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wasn’t saying that.

Arsenal, ManU and Liverpool have owners who haven’t pumped in £100m’s to subsidise wages and fees, including by sham sponsorship deals to lie a way around FFP.

But it looks like other clubs might be about to embark on the Chelski/Mansour approach.

Fans of such clubs never moan about that, unsurprisingly.

The question is, if a trend of this emerges, will it increasingly squeeze out the Brighton’s of this world from the PL?

Man U and Liverpool certainly have gone down the same route as Man City and Chelsea. Man U have the most record signings of all time in our league.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Agreed. I love what Tony has done for this club but he is a businessman and will want a return from his investment so I suspect he’ll sell before the days you point out

I think that as long as he gets his investment back his love for the club will mean he keeps it, then passes it on to his children. I think that although he's a hard-nosed businessman he'd be reluctant to sell out the one thing he loves (aside from his family, of course).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Man U and Liverpool certainly have gone down the same route as Man City and Chelsea. Man U have the most record signings of all time in our league.

Weren’t ManU’s record signings paid solely from truly arm’s length earned income - ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandise and broadcasting income?

Could be wrong. If any expert on football finance or ManU here could state the facts, please.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thank the Lord for FFP.

Oh...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Weren’t ManU’s record signings paid solely from truly arm’s length earned income - ticket sales, sponsorship, merchandise and broadcasting income?

Could be wrong. If any expert on football finance or ManU here could state the facts, please.

No. But we can go back to Denis Law signing in 1962 from Milan for a then record fee and every fee they have paid since.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

A fair chunk of their money though, I believe, comes from them essentially whoring out every piece of commercial sponsorship they can. One report last year has them generating ~£238m from 68 commercial deals and that's even more astounding considering their dip in relevance league-wise. If they're doing that every year, and one assumes they'll end up generating more, it's easy to see how they can afford big money players.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
A fair chunk of their money though, I believe, comes from them essentially whoring out every piece of commercial sponsorship they can. One report last year has them generating ~£238m from 68 commercial deals and that's even more astounding considering their dip in relevance league-wise. If they're doing that every year, and one assumes they'll end up generating more, it's easy to see how they can afford big money players.

Very good point but mine was slightly different, in so much as they have been doing a Man City and Chelsea long before Man City or Chelsea were ever seen relevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here