Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
What we see here is a club whose fans are impossibly fickle and at times, horribly toxic.

No matter what anyone thinks about money being a great leveller, the fact is this is a club with huge aspirations and an avalanche of new money, but is now hanging on Eddie Howe taking them to the Promised Land?

Says a lot about those fans…and exactly how desirable the Newcastle top job really is…

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
What we see here is a club whose fans are impossibly fickle and at times, horribly toxic.

No matter what anyone thinks about money being a great leveller, the fact is this is a club with huge aspirations and an avalanche of new money, but is now hanging on Eddie Howe taking them to the Promised Land?

Says a lot about those fans…and exactly how desirable the Newcastle top job really is…

I sincerely hope they **** up and then the Prem actually realise the Saudi owners are clearly not fit and proper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Yes, it would be sensible. They made a mistake to sack Chris Hughton in the first place, he did a good job at Newcastle.

He did. A great Championship manager (unless you count Forest)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I hope they struggle to get their manager of choice and have to suffer several more rejections before declaring that the guy they eventually appoint was always at the top of their list.

And then a couple of weeks later Everton sack Benitez.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Now who do we know who has great expertise and success in getting teams promoted from the Championship and then keeping them (just) in the EPL.

Step forward Mr Christopher William Gerard Hughton

Far too honourable to go and work for that shower.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I think going for a "big name" is possibly a mistake. They have already found out that mega bucks wont get them to sign the dotted line with reportedly at least 3 "names" already turning them down.

They do not need a champions league winner, they need someone who can get the best out of the existing squad, and who knows how to get out of relegation trouble, and possibly the championship

Those are very different qualities than those required to manage a team at the top of a league, with a squad full of world class players, with other players wanting to join

Look at the trouble Spurs have had getting their man, and they surely were a much more attractive proposition than Newcastle are currently

The Newcastle "project" has to be seen as at least a three stage, multi season epic, and probably different managers required for different stages

Firstly they need someone who can fight their way out of relegation trouble, and quite possibly get them out of the championship.
Next someone to get them re-established as a solid prem team playing attractive football, with a chance of Europe. At that point they can start looking for Champions League qualification, and the very highest calibre manager and players

You need a very different type of player and style of play for each of those three stages, and I think it will be almost impossible to find either manager or players who will be able to do all three.

I agree about the stages but the problem is you have to give the stage 1 manager a shed load of wonga in January to keep them up and likewise manager 2 to replace the dross purchased by manger 1. Not only that but manager 1 has to accept that he is manager 1 and not manager 2 or 3.

Also the current squad know that they have no future at the club so will probably have already downed tools which is a problem if in January they can’t bring in sufficient replacements.

Things aren’t helped by the fact that they should have had a director of football in from day 1 to oversee the whole plan so are basically pissing around in the dark.

They seem to want manager 3 in now but there are not any of that quality of manager available currently.

To be honest I don’t see what they can do at this late stage as they don’t seem to have done the correct planning required before they got themselves into this venture.

It amazes me how individuals that clearly must be intelligent enough to have made the wealth they have can appear to be so disorganised and shambolic at running operations

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
To be honest I don’t see what they can do at this late stage as they don’t seem to have done the correct planning required before they got themselves into this venture.

It amazes me how individuals that clearly must be intelligent enough to have made the wealth they have can appear to be so disorganised and shambolic at running operations

My thoughts exactly....they've been working on this takeover for years. Now that it's happened they don't seem to have a clue about how to actually run a football club!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Reported now that Emre was number 1 choice and said no, and they have aready interviewed Howe, who was second choice.

So will they now offer it to Howe, and when will he say yes?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Newcastle fan on talk sport earlier thinking they'll get Biss in January

£100M, and £200K a week wages could make that come true. Money talks - and ridiculius amounts of money talk louder. Hope it doesn't happen, but I can't help but imagine such an offer would get very serious consideration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here