Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I’ve heard this before - about players not wanting to live in that part of the world. For starters the weather can be awful in winter, and even in summer, and will not go down well with those from more exotic climes. Newcastle, although a smashing city, may not have the continental pull that London, Liverpool and Manchester have.

In truth our lovely little seaside abode of Brighton and Hove has more going for it. The cosmopolitan atmosphere with all its giddy weirdness is an absolute magnet. Chuck in the location, thirty minutes from Gatwick Airport, an hour from London. Superb stadium and training facilities to boot. What’s not to like?
So I’m afraid Newcastle will struggle when it comes to promoting location. More like ‘Homes Under The Hammer’ than ‘A Place In The Sun’.

Depends if the potential contractor in question is thick as mince, shirley? Short career, follow the money, provide for your family's future, short term live somewhere a bit shit. You can always live somewhere nicer later

el punal

Depends if the potential contractor in question is thick as mince, shirley? Short career, follow the money, provide for your family's future, short term live somewhere a bit shit. You can always live somewhere nicer later

Of course, but if you had the option of having the same financial benefits living somewhere better where would you choose?

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Indeed. I get the feeling its a bit of a case of 'amateur hour' in the boardroom there. What do Stavely, the Reuben brothers, and a group of arabs in Riyadh know about running a Premier League football club ?

They've already publically naused it up with Emery. Now Smug Eddie knows full well he wasn't first choice as will any other candidate (and look how that turned out at Spurs). Who is the CEO / Director of Football driving the decisions there, and what skills, knowledge and experience are they bringing to the table ?

Throwing money around is not the answer to all the problems there. Its starting to look like a lovely shambles already.

I know someone who’s a non exec at a PL club (not Brighton) who sat in on an interview with Eddie. ‘Came across like an utter pr*ck’ was the feedback - sounds ideal to work with the Saudis!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Of course, but if you had the option of having the same financial benefits living somewhere better where would you choose?

I think I'd choose the best club for my career prospects. If Newcastle start winning titles and trophies and splash the cash, players will flock there. Think the whole geography thing is a line Newcastle have often used to mask the real reasons they can't compete with the sides their fans expect them to compete with in the transfer market - an excuse basically. What's the difference with the money these players earn from being near Newcastle International Airport or Gatwick? Some absolutely beautiful houses, country estates etc. for players in the North East. Weather is shit in the UK wherever.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

In real terms the financial benefits would be substantially larger, since costs tend to be lower in the North East (though for the sort of thing that footballers spend their money on I can't imagine it makes that much difference).

The weather might be a bit colder than down south, but it's not as cold as a lot of cities on the continent would be in winter, and it doesn't rain as much as in or around Manchester.

Realistically I think London clubs have an advantage, but apart from that most cities in Britain just aren't that big or impressive. Liverpool and Man U have the advantage having big historic names, but the cities have better and worse areas like anywhere else. It's not like anybody Newcastle sign will be moving into a flat in Byker.

I gather the training facilities etc. need improving, but that's hardly a permanent problem. I've read Vincent Kompany's thrilling story about Man City not being able to afford a coffee machine before they were bought several times more than I'd care to.

Being run by a bunch of amusingly cack-handed incompetents is hopefully going to be more of an issue than the location.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It’s got CV killer all over it, this job.

Suspect one of the old guard looking for a final pay day will surface

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think going for a "big name" is possibly a mistake. They have already found out that mega bucks wont get them to sign the dotted line with reportedly at least 3 "names" already turning them down.

They do not need a champions league winner, they need someone who can get the best out of the existing squad, and who knows how to get out of relegation trouble, and possibly the championship

Those are very different qualities than those required to manage a team at the top of a league, with a squad full of world class players, with other players wanting to join

Look at the trouble Spurs have had getting their man, and they surely were a much more attractive proposition than Newcastle are currently

The Newcastle "project" has to be seen as at least a three stage, multi season epic, and probably different managers required for different stages

Firstly they need someone who can fight their way out of relegation trouble, and quite possibly get them out of the championship.
Next someone to get them re-established as a solid prem team playing attractive football, with a chance of Europe. At that point they can start looking for Champions League qualification, and the very highest calibre manager and players

You need a very different type of player and style of play for each of those three stages, and I think it will be almost impossible to find either manager or players who will be able to do all three.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He is a good manager, but I think it's the wrong time to go to Newcastle. It would be better to let them have their Mark Hughes type appointment, before their Roberto Mancini appointment. I think the first manager going there has to overhaul the squad and set them on a new path. I don't think whoever they appoint first will be a success, it will be the second or third manager who can really benefit from the cash money in the bank.

If its going to be the second or third manager, that means late 2022 then. :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Any manager worth his/her salt would give them a miss. Hiding to nothing with the fans but, more importantly, owners who have no respect of human rights. I hope that prospective candidates will have a conscience.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Now who do we know who has great expertise and success in getting teams promoted from the Championship and then keeping them (just) in the EPL.

Step forward Mr Christopher William Gerard Hughton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here