Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
As far as FFP is concerned they can lose £105m over three years, and by the calculations of a DULLARD had about £100m of FFP profits in their three most recent years, so plenty of wiggle room to spend more money, and that is before taking into account any unusually generous sponsorship deals. Even if the latter are outlawed, nothing to stop the club going on a pre-season tour of Saudi and being paid handsomely for the privilege.

Yeah, but what do you know?! :p

Given the sorts of fees & wages they'd need to pay and the quantity of players required (even with amortisation), it would hopefully put a bit of a dampener on their spending?

I'll leave you to shoot down my rudimentary calculations, but (before factoring in any extra income from inflated pre-season tour income and whatever else they can lay their hands on), wouldn't that £205m budget before FFP is breached 'only' stretch to 4 or 5 £50m players on £100k per week? i.e. £10m of the fee for each year (assuming a 5 year contract), plus £5m wages per year (c. £100k pw). So £15m per player per year over 3 years = £45m. 205/45 = roughly 4.5?

*awaits a schooling from the man who knows* :)

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
As far as FFP is concerned they can lose £105m over three years, and by the calculations of a DULLARD had about £100m of FFP profits in their three most recent years, so plenty of wiggle room to spend more money, and that is before taking into account any unusually generous sponsorship deals. Even if the latter are outlawed, nothing to stop the club going on a pre-season tour of Saudi and being paid handsomely for the privilege.

Mad Mike's a pretty canny guy....

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I think too many conclusions are being jumped to on this thread. First the new owners have said it's a long term project including academy and infrastructure. Of course they have the money to buy lots of players in January but it won't be easy to find the right ones. Even more so you can't just buy a load of new players and expect them to gel into a team instantly. If they get a good manager he will want to stabilise their position first and look at a few key buys in January.

Isn't the key to our success we have built a team not a set of individuals?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Even Manchester City took a while before the oil money started to show real dividends, so there are still a couple of years when other clubs can unload all sorts of rubbish to Newcastle at vastly inflated prices before they come last in the Champions League.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
1. We all know the Saudis are ridiculously wealthy but what EVIDENCE do you have as to what budget they will make available for NUFC to pursue this strategy?
2. Buying expensive players is one thing, creating a decent team quite another. Ask MUFC.
3. FFP.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

1) I don't have any EVIDENCE mate. It's a prediction
2) They don't have to be as good as Man U. Probably they need to be better than Watford to stay up
3) What constraint do you think FFP will be? What punishment do you foresee that is enough of a deterrent to stop them spending their way out of relegation? At the very very worst they might be barred from European competition in a few years time. They might have a transfer embargo which lasts a year in 2025? I think they'll take their chances. Especially as they know that these "rules" can be quite easily circumvented

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think too many conclusions are being jumped to on this thread. First the new owners have said it's a long term project including academy and infrastructure. Of course they have the money to buy lots of players in January but it won't be easy to find the right ones. Even more so you can't just buy a load of new players and expect them to gel into a team instantly. If they get a good manager he will want to stabilise their position first and look at a few key buys in January.

Isn't the key to our success we have built a team not a set of individuals?

Something tells me that they may approach things a little differently to how we've done it

el punal

So now every club will be doing a football equivalent of Gumtree or eBay in getting rid of their unwanted players to Newcastle.

Can you imagine the wonderful sales pitch descriptions of each player, like :

Tall, sturdy unit with a bit of a wobbly leg which can be easily rectified to stop it falling over. Would not be out of place in any setting. Although a bit battered is still in good working order with a bit of treatment. £20 million o.n.o.

Please, no time wasters - buyer collects.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So now every club will be doing a football equivalent of Gumtree or eBay in getting rid of their unwanted players to Newcastle.

Tall, sturdy unit with a bit of a wobbly leg which can be easily rectified to stop it falling over. Would not be out of place in any setting. Although a bit battered is still in good working order with a bit of treatment. £20 million o.n.o.

Undoubtedly, selling clubs and agents will be working overtime trying to flutter their eyes at Newcastle.

But the appointment of Emery, (if confirmed) confirms something to me that I had previously suspected. The powers behind this Saudi fund aren't stupid and they know their football. They will only bring in players who will improve their squad. They will be fleeced beyond belief for them, but they know there is little choice in the matter and I doubt they seriously care.

What many forget is that their end game isn't on field success, it's isn't financial sustainability, it is to sportswash. For that they need (they really need) to be in the PL and they need glamour. These are not patient men. They aren't going down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are some countries abroad where they can recruit players unfortunately.

There are indeed.

But dropping them straight into a PL relegation scrap is a huge gamble. Not all overseas signings hit the ground running, or instantly adjust to the pace and power of this division. Its a huge learning curve for most players, and if Newcastle are still adrift in the bottom 3, the pressure is going to be enormous.

I so, so hope this goes spectacularly belly-up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Undoubtedly, selling clubs and agents will be working overtime trying to flutter their eyes at Newcastle.

But the appointment of Emery, (if confirmed) confirms something to me that I had previously suspected. The powers behind this Saudi fund aren't stupid and they know their football. They will only bring in players who will improve their squad. They will be fleeced beyond belief for them, but they know there is little choice in the matter and I doubt they seriously care.

What many forget is that their end game isn't on field success, it's isn't financial sustainability, it is to sportswash. For that they need (they really need) to be in the PL and they need glamour. These are not patient men. They aren't going down.

I'd have to disagree that this saudi mob will be quite happy to be "fleeced" by all and sundry to get these deals over the line. Yes they're obviously going to spend in January to try and stave off relegation, but I don't see them having their pants pulled down in the process. They're not fools.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yeah, but what do you know?! :p

Given the sorts of fees & wages they'd need to pay and the quantity of players required (even with amortisation), it would hopefully put a bit of a dampener on their spending?

I'll leave you to shoot down my rudimentary calculations, but (before factoring in any extra income from inflated pre-season tour income and whatever else they can lay their hands on), wouldn't that £205m budget before FFP is breached 'only' stretch to 4 or 5 £50m players on £100k per week? i.e. £10m of the fee for each year (assuming a 5 year contract), plus £5m wages per year (c. £100k pw). So £15m per player per year over 3 years = £45m. 205/45 = roughly 4.5?

*awaits a schooling from the man who knows* :)

Yup, but if you get into the Europa League in 3 seasons then there is extra income from that, and £200m on players gets you Lingard, Trossard, Ings etc who would improve a squad but might struggle to get into the Greedy Six.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He is a good manager, but I think it's the wrong time to go to Newcastle. It would be better to let them have their Mark Hughes type appointment, before their Roberto Mancini appointment. I think the first manager going there has to overhaul the squad and set them on a new path. I don't think whoever they appoint first will be a success, it will be the second or third manager who can really benefit from the cash money in the bank.
Step forward Big Sam.......................

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
He does look a bit like Sid the Sexist, especially if you put a 'tab' in his mouth....so a good fit tbh.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

We're trying to sell Andone?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Has anyone bothered to see if the horse punchers are pleased with this?

They got their club back from the cockney and got the mackem out so I'm guessing they are well chuffed.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'd have to disagree that this saudi mob will be quite happy to be "fleeced" by all and sundry to get these deals over the line. Yes they're obviously going to spend in January to try and stave off relegation, but I don't see them having their pants pulled down in the process. They're not fools.

All i'd say is to remember that they have a different objective to probably every other football club owner. Their primary objective is to cleanse their image through football. A big part of achieving this veneer this will be popularity with their own fanbase. This will mean a liberal sprinkling of shiny toys will be necessary even if the toys in question are vastly overpriced. Paying over the odds doesn't mean they're fools. They have the money to do so and it's helping them achieve their aims.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here