Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle singing Emery as manager... or not

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not a terrible appointment.

But as mentioned elsewhere, their main problem is going to be in the January transfer window, because its highly unlikely they'll find many friends in the Premier League willing to help bolster their squad for the fight ahead - be that with a loan or a transfer. Certainly not with anyone decent anyway.

Emery is going to have to go shopping abroad, probably starting with his previous club.

I'm not so sure, they'll certainly have to pay over the odds but if they come in with £60m for Biss do you really think we would turn it down because it's Newcastle and we don't like their owners? Or if they bid £40m for Jiminez at Wolverhampton, or £50m for Ward-Prowse at Stains etc

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Connor Gallagher is on their shopping list... wouldn't it be funny if Chelsea sold their player to Newcastle in January

Oh please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please let that happen. :lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not so sure, they'll certainly have to pay over the odds but if they come in with £60m for Biss do you really think we would turn it down because it's Newcastle and we don't like their owners? Or if they bid £40m for Jiminez at Wolverhampton, or £50m for Ward-Prowse at Stains etc

You've missed the point. Its not a case of whether we (or any of the clubs in the PL) like or dislike Newcastle and their owners, thats nothing to do with it.

The issue they will have is that the clubs around them at the lower end of the table would surely be loathe to sell their best assets to one of their prime relegation rivals in January. Meanwhile, the teams competing at the top end of the PL would be delighted to see the new money in town get relegated this season - why would they help Newcastle stay up, when they could potentially be another threat to those top 6 places next season after a huge summer splurge in the transfer market ?

For those reasons, I think they're going to have serious problems recruiting in January, particularly if by that time, as is likely, they find themselves in an even bigger pickle in the table than they are now.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was sort of arguing this on another thread that I disagree that Newcastle will struggle to recruit top quality players this January

The reason I think the majority are getting this wrong is that they are underestimating just how much money the PIF / Newcastle are going to throw at this.

I think they will buy around 10 first team players in January, around half from the PL. They'll achieve this by offering 2 or maybe 3 times their market value in transfer fee and salary

I can easily see a situation where they are making offers along the lines of (this is just taking an example from my head, I don't know them to be interested in this player in particular) offering Man U £160m for Sancho and offering him £300k per week. In other words about twice his actual value.

Now in this case of course the player or club might refuse. I agree they won't want to sell to Newcastle, but some clubs will crack. They might look at the Harry Kane / Wilf situation and decide it's better to sell. Some players will decide to force the move.

I don't think they players will worry about playing in the Championship either. The Saudi's are rich enough to offer "free transfer clauses" to all new signings in the event of relegation. In reality I think they will publicly bid for maybe 15 high profile players at the same time so that they players know there is little danger of them being the only one who says yes to the Toon wealth.

If for example we're offered £60m to £70m for Biss or Trossard, and crucially, the player is offered say £200k p/w not a chance we'll be able to keep them, (we can't be seen as standing in a players way). My view is that those are the levels of ridiculous we're about to see. My view is that we will now see wage inflation like never before. The Saudis won't be patient. They'll know FFP is no real deterrent. They won't let Newcastle go down, they will do whatever it takes.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
They will fling the money around, lose bucket loads on 8 players and maybe if they are lucky a couple will do well. Thing is, just how many player failures can you get away with before they cut off some hands…..

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You've missed the point. Its not a case of whether we (or any of the clubs in the PL) like or dislike Newcastle and their owners, thats nothing to do with it.

The issue they will have is that the clubs around them at the lower end of the table would surely be loathe to sell their best assets to one of their prime relegation rivals in January. Meanwhile, the teams competing at the top end of the PL would be delighted to see the new money in town get relegated this season - why would they help Newcastle stay up, when they could potentially be another threat to those top 6 places next season after a huge summer splurge in the transfer market ?

For those reasons, I think they're going to have serious problems recruiting in January, particularly if by that time, as is likely, they find themselves in an even bigger pickle in the table than they are now.

No I tend to agree with you, clubs at both ends of the table will be loathe to selling to them for differing reasons, I still think there are a good chunk of clubs in the middle of the table who would be willing to sell if Newcastle pay over the odds, such as the 3 examples I mentioned if it then means those said clubs can go on their own transfer splurges with the windfalls they get from Newcastle overpaying. If you put together the best players from the middle half dozen clubs in the league it would provide Newcastle with a decent enough starting 11 to keep them up (I think they'll go down the foreign route though).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
People saying Newcastle wont get players in, in January are way off the mark, yes they will struggle for the top elite players. However all they need is an agent like wolves and they will have a steady flow of players willing to sign as long as the money is right. Just look at the signings Wolves pulled off in the championship, will easily highlight the quality Newcastle will still be able to attract in Jan. Hopefully it wont be enough to keep them up though.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Wouldn't want new Newcastle manager confirmed before weekend. Would be more than a bit crap to fall foul of the cliche that is New Manager Bounce

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
People saying Newcastle wont get players in, in January are way off the mark, yes they will struggle for the top elite players. However all they need is an agent like wolves and they will have a steady flow of players willing to sign as long as the money is right. Just look at the signings Wolves pulled off in the championship, will easily highlight the quality Newcastle will still be able to attract in Jan. Hopefully it wont be enough to keep them up though.

They'll get a load of players in of course, probably from abroad. Its the quality of those players that remains to be seen IMO.

If they stay up, then they'll go bonkers in the transfer market.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I was sort of arguing this on another thread that I disagree that Newcastle will struggle to recruit top quality players this January

The reason I think the majority are getting this wrong is that they are underestimating just how much money the PIF / Newcastle are going to throw at this.

I think they will buy around 10 first team players in January, around half from the PL. They'll achieve this by offering 2 or maybe 3 times their market value in transfer fee and salary

I can easily see a situation where they are making offers along the lines of (this is just taking an example from my head, I don't know them to be interested in this player in particular) offering Man U £160m for Sancho and offering him £300k per week. In other words about twice his actual value.

Now in this case of course the player or club might refuse. I agree they won't want to sell to Newcastle, but some clubs will crack. They might look at the Harry Kane / Wilf situation and decide it's better to sell. Some players will decide to force the move.

I don't think they players will worry about playing in the Championship either. The Saudi's are rich enough to offer "free transfer clauses" to all new signings in the event of relegation. In reality I think they will publicly bid for maybe 15 high profile players at the same time so that they players know there is little danger of them being the only one who says yes to the Toon wealth.

If for example we're offered £60m to £70m for Biss or Trossard, and crucially, the player is offered say £200k p/w not a chance we'll be able to keep them, (we can't be seen as standing in a players way). My view is that those are the levels of ridiculous we're about to see. My view is that we will now see wage inflation like never before. The Saudis won't be patient. They'll know FFP is no real deterrent. They won't let Newcastle go down, they will do whatever it takes.

Unfortunately I think you're right - money talks.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

There are some countries abroad where they can recruit players unfortunately.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

1. We all know the Saudis are ridiculously wealthy but what EVIDENCE do you have as to what budget they will make available for NUFC to pursue this strategy?
2. Buying expensive players is one thing, creating a decent team quite another. Ask MUFC.
3. FFP.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH

I'm not saying they won't sign anybody, but if it's looking more likely that you'll be playing 2022/23 in the Championship rather than in Europe, I think it's going to be a hard sell for many ambitious top players. Sure money can be a big motivator, but it only goes so far. I think at best they might throw some money around and try to pick up some aging stars, who don't feel like they have anything left to prove, in the hope that it'll be enough to keep them up. The kind of players who might have been willing to go play in a retirement league (e.g. until recently China) for stupid amounts of money. Then go all out in the summer (assuming they survive).

I don't think most players relish the idea of jumping into a relegation battle already in progress. And I don't think they're likely to find 10 first team players in January. Even if they do, integrating that many players would be a massive challenge to do in half a season.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Dubravka, Darlow and Woodman are all very good goalkeepers.

Dubravka's a Premier League number 1 goalkeeper, but Darlow and Woodman are not. If you want to be a top 6, then top 4 club - you need better quality in goal. Look at Brighton, improved our goalkeeper and we're flying.

I think any manager will always want to bring in players they rate highly, especially if they're not playing at their current club. Maybe Emery will be different, but I suspect he'll want to start making the team his own immediately in January.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

You only need to look at PSG signing Neymar to prove the theory. All it took for him to leave one of the most successful and desirable places to play football (Barcelona) to join the inferior PSG in an inferior league was a truckload of cash from the Qataris (what was it - £220m or something & £40m a season in wages?)

I still think that by the time new transfers arrive and settle in, they might be too far behind to not be relegated (funny as f**k if so), but they'd bounce straight back up and climb the league in the following seasons because it's just inevitable with that level of backing.

The only question for me is whether FFP will have enough teeth to stop them spunking the sort of money you're talking about on that many players... the other clubs have already ganged up (minus Man City, who abstained) to temporarily close one of the loopholes for inflated sponsorship deals with related companies, so maybe they'll have their hands somewhat tied after all.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You only need to look at PSG signing Neymar to prove the theory. All it took for him to leave one of the most successful and desirable places to play football (Barcelona) to join the inferior PSG in an inferior league was a truckload of cash from the Qataris (what was it - £220m or something & £40m a season in wages?)

I still think that by the time new transfers arrive and settle in, they might be too far behind to not be relegated (funny as f**k if so), but they'd bounce straight back up and climb the league in the following seasons because it's just inevitable with that level of backing.

The only question for me is whether FFP will have enough teeth to stop them spunking the sort of money you're talking about on that many players... the other clubs have already ganged up (minus Man City, who abstained) to temporarily close one of the loopholes for inflated sponsorship deals with related companies, so maybe they'll have their hands somewhat tied after all.

As far as FFP is concerned they can lose £105m over three years, and by the calculations of a DULLARD had about £100m of FFP profits in their three most recent years, so plenty of wiggle room to spend more money, and that is before taking into account any unusually generous sponsorship deals. Even if the latter are outlawed, nothing to stop the club going on a pre-season tour of Saudi and being paid handsomely for the privilege.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When asked about the Newcastle United squad, Emery said 'Ooh, they are awful, but I like them'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here