Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle - how confident are you that we can get something from this game?

Newcastle - how confident are you that we’ll get something from this game?

• De Zerbi ball will triumph

• Draw

• Narrow loss

• Thrashing for us

• Er Fence

Results are only viewable after voting.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If we play Gross or Billy in the holding role I fear for us as they do jot protect the back four which forces them out opening space for opposing attackers

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Depends whether we can beat their press. No reason why we can’t - should suit us more to come up against a team that’s in our faces. As today showed, there should be opportunities to run at them and they can be vulnerable.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Depends whether we can beat their press. No reason why we can’t - should suit us more to come up against a team that’s in our faces. As today showed, there should be opportunities to run at them and they can be vulnerable.
They won’t press us. They’ll sit back and use Almiron, Isak and Gordon on the break. We’ll need to score first. Score first and we’ll win. Go 0-1 behind and it’s another tonking.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
They won’t press us. They’ll sit back and use Almiron, Isak and Gordon on the break. We’ll need to score first. Score first and we’ll win. Go 0-1 behind and it’s another tonking.
I think they might show a bit more ambition than that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
If the ref shows yellow cards from the start, Newcastle will have lost the game by halftime given their constant time wasting, as they will probably be down to a team of 8.

Affy

Silent Assassin
Aug 16, 2019
Sussex by the Sea
We owe them a decent run around after our dismal performance at SJP end of last season (yes, I know fatigue and injuries etc). We have held them well in the past but we do seem to be letting lots of chances through so far without MC. Even Luton had some good breaks but we’re dire finishing. Wolves had many and often looked dangerous just couldn’t finish. West Ham didn’t have quite as many but were ruthless.

I’m a little nervous we are becoming a bit “Leedsy” in that we hope we can out score the opposition. I’m sure, when things settle and we have someone used to playing the holding role we will be ok. But this will 100% be a very tough game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Not expecting anything in all honesty simply because who their manager is! We never seem to, and it’s one of those football curses. A bit like the one we had over West Ham until it exposed yesterday…so in that case….?!! :)

Bridcutt

Aug 10, 2011
We owe them a decent run around after our dismal performance at SJP end of last season (yes, I know fatigue and injuries etc). We have held them well in the past but we do seem to be letting lots of chances through so far without MC. Even Luton had some good breaks but we’re dire finishing. Wolves had many and often looked dangerous just couldn’t finish. West Ham didn’t have quite as many but were ruthless.

I’m a little nervous we are becoming a bit “Leedsy” in that we hope we can out score the opposition. I’m sure, when things settle and we have someone used to playing the holding role we will be ok. But this will 100% be a very tough game.
I agree with you. De Zerbi is known for being open and risky football but we're going to get torn apart by good counter attacking teams if we don't have a solid midfield and faster defenders. If we can't get a defensive midfielder in this window and we don't start using Igor (who I presume is faster/more physical than Webster and Dunk) then we're going to see repeats of the West Ham game and the Everton game when we concede early and chase the game vs counter attackers

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Toons forwards will come at us shooting from the hip at the outset I reckon - they will try and disrupt our flowing football by not giving us time to control the pace of the game by being all in our face, especially in our DMF area where they will perceive us to be weak - they will dog us closely to gain possession - we will have to work hard to find the time and space to put our short passing sequences together and may need to play over the top, so passing accuracy will be essential. Newcastle can be very tight at the back (but not infallible ) which will make it particularly difficult for us to come back from behind so an early goal for us will be crucial (but not enough).

I would predict a very low or non-scoring game either way and if we keep our heads, control the pace of the game and convert our chances, we should take at least a point.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Will Steele be rotated in?

I wonder if De Zerbi will select Verbruggen where he feels the opponents will sit off, but go for Steele where he expects a high press and Steele's incisive footwork may come to the fore.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
More I think about it now , the more I think castle losing to pool was a bad result for us.

Smug is now desperate for a result and is a pragmatic manager. He knows he has a better starting 11 than us. So will not be afraid to play the odds and line up with a turgid dyche/Moyes 11 behind the ball counter attacking system.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I am confident we can, which is not to say I'm confident we will.

These are a decent side, after all.

But I really don't think they are all that special at the back, and they are likely to come at us, which should give us opportunities.
I over-stated it.

They are shithouse. At least against a flowing Albion goalscoring machine anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here