Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle fan stabbed in Milan

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Happens every year, there will be trouble of some description at all three of our away games, and quite possibly home as well.
It is how this is managed and if it escalates, unfortunately mob mentality is a thing and can be consuming, if you are being attacked.

Hold on to your hats folks.....

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I have just seen the area where it happened. Navigli is probably the most unsafe I've ever felt in Europe, minus the lovely canal (if that bit counts in the area). I'm sure there are worse places even in Milan, but for me that was something else. Not surprised when the Geordies set up along the canal something bad happened when walking back through there...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is the kind of thing that makes me nervous for what might happen if there’s a Luton-esque train meltdown at any of our home games

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I went out with Mrs Q in Milan to a craft beer pub somewhere in the back streets and the taxi driver asked me 3 times if I seriously wanted to be dropped in that part of town. Never had that in any other city.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I appreciate people shouldn’t be scared off of attending a football match but without doubt some will, depending on various factors but particularly their age.

One of the old guys who we get chatting to at the Amex who I think is about late sixties/early seventies said he won’t go to any of our European matches. He says he finds walking around the north stand end of the ground after a match a little intimidating when approaching away supporters as it is and says he’s worried as to if the club and police will do enough to ensure segregation after the match.

I think it sad that he feels this way but I can sort of understand what he’s saying. I guess the biggest issue is that the club and police have zero experience of controlling foreign supporters. After all the police have been proven unable to control a few dozen Croydon naughty boys and their smoke bombs.

Lets hope the old fellas concerns prove misplaced and all goes off without trouble and everyone enjoys what is the biggest event in the clubs history.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
I went out with Mrs Q in Milan to a craft beer pub somewhere in the back streets and the taxi driver asked me 3 times if I seriously wanted to be dropped in that part of town. Never had that in any other city.
In places Naples ain’t so good either.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Watch out for the Scooter riders with a pillion passenger ready to jump off and stab an unsuspecting tourist in the buttocks

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was in Milan last year I couldn’t sleep and around 2am decided to go outside the front of the hotel for a smoke. The guy on reception said he had to come outside with me as Milan wasn’t safe at night.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I appreciate people shouldn’t be scared off of attending a football match but without doubt some will, depending on various factors but particularly their age.

One of the old guys who we get chatting to at the Amex who I think is about late sixties/early seventies said he won’t go to any of our European matches. He says he finds walking around the north stand end of the ground after a match a little intimidating when approaching away supporters as it is and says he’s worried as to if the club and police will do enough to ensure segregation after the match.

I think it sad that he feels this way but I can sort of understand what he’s saying. I guess the biggest issue is that the club and police have zero experience of controlling foreign supporters. After all the police have been proven unable to control a few dozen Croydon naughty boys and their smoke bombs.

Lets hope the old fellas concerns prove misplaced and all goes off without trouble and everyone enjoys what is the biggest event in the clubs history.
I know how he feels. I walk from the North stand up to the P&R, meeting away supporters going down to the station. Most of them are fine, but occasionally, even though it's obvious that my husband and I are together, you get the odd one or two who try to barge through.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Huge assumption you're making there I'd say. I'd love to see a detailed blow by blow of the guy's (and I wish him all the best) antics leading upto this incident. Something tells me he wasn't taking in the local architecture and enjoying a couple of breezy aperols in the local pizzeria?

Face it, our fanbase simply doesn't have this element. There's going to be no big gathering of lagered up, topless white van men in their 40s and 50s in central Marseille next month being big and loud and making their presence known. I don't think there'll be any trouble at all.
I'd say you are the one making a huge assumption here.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Huge assumption you're making there I'd say. I'd love to see a detailed blow by blow of the guy's (and I wish him all the best) antics leading upto this incident. Something tells me he wasn't taking in the local architecture and enjoying a couple of breezy aperols in the local pizzeria?

Face it, our fanbase simply doesn't have this element. There's going to be no big gathering of lagered up, topless white van men in their 40s and 50s in central Marseille next month being big and loud and making their presence known. I don't think there'll be any trouble at all.
58yr old man with hip replacements, with his son. So he's not going to have been giving it the big'un, Away from the main throng of Newcastle fans. Stabbed in the stabbed and slashed on his back.

Even if he had been loudly singing and making a tit of himself, is that any justification?

I was there for Newcastle's last trip to Milan. We were corralled down the street, with bottles, coins and lighters thrown over the police line. Lads putting their hands up to protect themselves had them struck by police batons. Same happened at the match. Afterwards every group of Milan lads looked to me like they were about to jump us. Genuinely gave me pause about going back to Italy, but away from the ultras, Italians are warm and welcoming.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have just seen the area where it happened. Navigli is probably the most unsafe I've ever felt in Europe, minus the lovely canal (if that bit counts in the area). I'm sure there are worse places even in Milan, but for me that was something else. Not surprised when the Geordies set up along the canal something bad happened when walking back through there...
Strange. I was there a couple of years ago and thought it was nice. Certainly didn't feel unsafe in any way at all.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Strange. I was there a couple of years ago and thought it was nice. Certainly didn't feel unsafe in any way at all.
Mrs A and I stayed there about 3 years back in a small apartment. Likewise we felt quite safe there and wandered around both night and day. We were surprised though when we spoke with the owner who was somewhat concerned that we had done so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here