Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle away: would you take a point?

Would you take a point at Newcastle, if offered?

• Yes - another point closer to Europe

Votes: 151 64.0%
  • Nah - we can get all three

Votes: 85 36.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 08.29.03.png

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Still worried that it may come down to Villa away and needing a draw and I'd rather it was all over by then. A point means a point from Man City as well, plus 3 against Saints.
So it's a NO from me. 3 or zero is the only option.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Still worried that it may come down to Villa away and needing a draw and I'd rather it was all over by then. A point means a point from Man City as well, plus 3 against Saints.
The bit in bold - it could mean that, but it's by no means a certainty, is it?

It's quite possible that even if we lose tonight, we go into Sunday's game knowing that a win would secure a European spot either beyond all mathematical doubt, or all-but-done because of our goal difference superiority.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The bit in bold - it could mean that, but it's by no means a certainty, is it?

It's quite possible that even if we lose tonight, we go into Sunday's game knowing that a win would secure a European spot either beyond all mathematical doubt, or all-but-done because of our goal difference superiority.
You're quite right. Should Villa lose at Liverpool, who have won 7 straight, then 3 points will do it. But Europa League requires 5 pts. Spurs dropping 2 at Leeds is possible but I'd rather not wait until the last day to hope. But I'm taking my Daughter Sunday and embarrasingly I know I'm going to be in peices should we qualify.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I voted yes but I did also realise if results go as expected, a point doesn’t change things that much… That said, getting a point v City in our last home game to claim 6th would be amazing!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You're quite right. Should Villa lose at Liverpool, who have won 7 straight, then 3 points will do it. But Europa League requires 5 pts. Spurs dropping 2 at Leeds is possible but I'd rather not wait until the last day to hope. But I'm taking my Daughter Sunday and embarrasingly I know I'm going to be in peices should we qualify.
I'm not sure I agree on the 5 points bit.

If we assume that Liverpool beat Villa then us beating Southampton takes us out of reach of them.

Following that same assumption, if we beat Southampton, Spurs need 5 points to make us need another point, so they need two wins. They've been so ropey this season that it's not a given that they'll even beat Brentford. Even if they do, assuming Leeds still need something from the final day, I'd back them to get something from Spurs. The combination of peak Fat Sam and a raucous Elland Road could see a proper Spursy performance from them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A point would be a very good result.

But we can get all three.

No more injuries is just as important now

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have to be honest, I am finding it hard to let go of the Champions League dream. I know, ridiculous. But if we beat Newcastle, and then Southampton which is not completely unrealistic and Leicester fluke a win over Newcastle (highly unlikely!) we would be 2 points behind them with a game in hand. It's Man City but who cares, we can do them too. Win at Villa and the Champions League is ours.

EDIT: and yes I know we also need Liverpool to not beat either Villa or Southampton, but Villa is certainly possible at least.

So yes, no taking the draw for me.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
Looking at the table, I don't think one point has much significance for our European push.
It would be a step forward, and I would consider it a good result, but personally we should just go for all 3.
Then we would need a win against Southampton, and if we somehow do not get it, we would still be in the best position over Spurs and Villa.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

If we assume that Liverpool beat Villa then us beating Southampton takes us out of reach of them.

Following that same assumption, if we beat Southampton, Spurs need 5 points to make us need another point, so they need two wins. They've been so ropey this season that it's not a given that they'll even beat Brentford. Even if they do, assuming Leeds still need something from the final day, I'd back them to get something from Spurs. The combination of peak Fat Sam and a raucous Elland Road could see a proper Spursy performance from them.
I read yesterday that spurs are 12th on one of the form tables - 10th on another. Their form has been shocking. Another thing I’ve just thought of is a point tonight and a point Sunday would be enough to finish above Villa and / or Spurs if they were to both lose at the weekend. I’d take a point, I don’t think we’ll get it though, bad feeling.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I guess I can't see Spurs picking up six points from their remaining two fixtures.

They've got three wins in their last 12, and that includes the unjust victory over us. The other two were home wins against the hapless pair of Palace and Forest. Additionally, they've not won away in the League since January 23rd.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looking at the table, I don't think one point has much significance for our European push.
It would be a step forward, and I would consider it a good result, but personally we should just go for all 3.
Then we would need a win against Southampton, and if we somehow do not get it, we would still be in the best position over Spurs and Villa.
I thought that about the significance of 1 but (and does assume we beat Stains ofc) it leaves us only needing 1 from City or Villa to be guaranteed.

As it is I think Villa lose at Liverpool and Spuds lose at Leeds in which case a win anywhere is enough (likely Stains)

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I have to be honest, I am finding it hard to let go of the Champions League dream. I know, ridiculous. But if we beat Newcastle, and then Southampton which is not completely unrealistic and Leicester fluke a win over Newcastle (highly unlikely!) we would be 2 points behind them with a game in hand. It's Man City but who cares, we can do them too. Win at Villa and the Champions League is ours.

EDIT: and yes I know we also need Liverpool to not beat either Villa or Southampton, but Villa is certainly possible at least.

So yes, no taking the draw for me.
The only problem with that (as that is a plausible scenario) is that Liverpool likely win out, which will then overtake us and Newcastle…

EDiT - hadn’t read your edit before I sent this!

GallodiMare

Apr 14, 2023
I guess I can't see Spurs picking up six points from their remaining two fixtures.

They've got three wins in their last 12, and that includes the unjust victory over us. The other two were home wins against the hapless pair of Palace and Forest. Additionally, they've not won away in the League since January 23rd.
Yes Sir, mille grazie.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS

Bozza speaks words of wisdom.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here