Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newbie and the Amex - 2014/15

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I sat in the 1901 section of the East Lower for one game in our first season. A friend couldn't go so I blagged his ticket for the day, pulling rank on my son and giving him my NS ticket. I hated it!! Everytime I stood up getting a bit animated, I was getting stared at. I was expecting them to place their index fingers over lips and tell me to Shhhhhhhhhh.

Ideal stand for some people. Not for me I'm afraid.
Its the family stand, well most of it,..... what do you expect, chavs in trackies and baseball caps giving it large across to the away fans...?...... horses for courses.

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
It seems to me that if most of our goals are scored in the North end then you want to be near the North to see them close up. But I have to say I sit in the NE corner and all the action always seems to be down the other end.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its the family stand, well most of it,..... what do you expect, chavs in trackies and baseball caps giving it large across to the away fans...?...... horses for courses.

Quite. I don't understand the jibes aimed at the east. It's bound to be quietest of all the stands for obvious reasons. However the atmosphere in the part I'm in is often very good. It was rocking for the QPR game. I'm guessing those moaning about it never went to the Goldstone or Withdean.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Quite. I don't understand the jibes aimed at the east. It's bound to be quietest of all the stands for obvious reasons. However the atmosphere in the part I'm in is often very good. It was rocking for the QPR game. I'm guessing those moaning about it never went to the Goldstone or Withdean.

Not sure what the "obvious reasons" are? Are the East stand unable to sing? Do they not know the words to "Seeaaaaggullllls"?

*Yes, did go to Withdean, but will admit that Goldstone pre-dates me.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I sit in the ESU on the half way line a few rows back from the front. Plenty of noise around me, not continuous (but that applies to the whole stadium!). It's not the noisiest stand but to say it's like a library is far from the truth.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Prob worth trying to get to a game before you buy your season ticket and have a look around.....posts above give you a good summary of relative noise/standing/weather impacts etc. Personally prefer to be nearer the action and will be continuing with WSL next season, towards the North end but do get a bit wet sometimes (although with prevailing winds you're more likely to get wet in ESL than WSL), would say WSL can be a bit quiet (gradually getting better though - lower % of STH there). Have sat in many areas prior to getting a ST and can honestly say the view is good everywhere (and of course all the seats are nice and padded, and wide) - really depends on your preference. Hope you enjoy it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
North stand noisiest and you will see more of the goals close up (as our ratio of goals in north to goals in south is ridiculous!)

What is the ratio of goals at either end?

I've just totted them up, and the stats for (league games only) THIS season are:

South goals: 9
North Goals: 16

However, rather than any mystical properties of the North being apparent, I think it's actually THIS stat which is the relevant one:

1st half goals: 7
2nd half goals: 18

i.e. Yes, we do score more in the North, because we almost always kick that way in the 2nd half.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I've just totted them up, and the stats for (league games only) THIS season are:

South goals: 9
North Goals: 16

However, rather than any mystical properties of the North being apparent, I think it's actually THIS stat which is the relevant one:

1st half goals: 7
2nd half goals: 18

i.e. Yes, we do score more in the North, because we almost always kick that way in the 2nd half.

No sure which is cause and which is effect. So...
do we score more in the north goal because we shoot that way in the second half?
..or..
do we score more goals in the second half because we are shooting at the north goal?

Some stato needs to split the results further by "direction of play" (hkfc - do you have this?). Do we consistently score more in the second half regardless of direction of play (thus making it a "second half" thing) or do we score more in the north goal regardless of half (making it a "North Stand" thing)? I always suspected it was the latter because Gus was so keen to change the seating layout so that we had home fans behind both goals.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No sure which is cause and which is effect. So...
do we score more in the north goal because we shoot that way in the second half?
..or..
do we score more goals in the second half because we are shooting at the north goal?

Some stato needs to split the results further by "direction of play" (hkfc - do you have this?). Do we consistently score more in the second half regardless of direction of play (thus making it a "second half" thing) or do we score more in the north goal regardless of half (making it a "North Stand" thing)? I always suspected it was the latter because Gus was so keen to change the seating layout so that we had home fans behind both goals.

South Stand goals: 1st half 6 / 2nd half 3
North Stand goals: Ist half 1 / 2nd half 15

The latter stats are not as remarkable as they first look - I THINK we've only kicked towards the North in the 1st half THREE times all season (Burnley, Doncaster, Millwall), although I can't remember anything at all about the 0-0 draw with M'boro, so maybe that one too.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
South Stand goals: 1st half 6 / 2nd half 3
North Stand goals: Ist half 1 / 2nd half 15

The latter stats are not as remarkable as they first look - I THINK we've only kicked towards the North in the 1st half THREE times all season (Burnley, Doncaster, Millwall), although I can't remember anything at all about the 0-0 draw with M'boro, so maybe that one too.

So clearly the way to f*ck with us is to just win the toss and force us to play N-S rather than our preferred S-N. Who'd have thought it was so simple?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So clearly the way to f*ck with us is to just win the toss and force us to play N-S rather than our preferred S-N. Who'd have thought it was so simple?

Not so - we have 7 points from those 3 games.

The stats show that we will score more in the second half REGARDLESS of which was round we play.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not sure what the "obvious reasons" are? Are the East stand unable to sing? Do they not know the words to "Seeaaaaggullllls"?

*Yes, did go to Withdean, but will admit that Goldstone pre-dates me.

Well, given the chance of something exciting happening on the pitch I can assure you that we often sing seagulls and very much more. I usually leave the match with a sore throat. I sat in the west upper one match and you could hear a pin drop. I was very disappointed. However it undoubtedly is much better than that on other occasions. At the Goldstone, only the north (except for the old south stand) regularly made noise and there were some matches when it was quiet. The other stands were largely silent. Having sat in the east now for three seasons, it is way better than the Goldstone's east, west or south. I won't talk about Withdean as it was all rubbish.

The obvious reasons it's quieter on the whole are that there are loads of little ones and I imagine the demographic further south is a little older than the north etc.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Last year In the Blackpool game we scored 4 in the south in first half and 3 in the south end in the 4-1 Ulloa hat trick match in 2nd half and 2 in the south against Palace on mar 17th in first half for example. Not sure any cause to it but obviously all manner of correlation ...

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
OP, If you just want a single seat then you will be able to pick exactly where you want to go, as there are 'odd' seats almost anywhere.

I would recommend the WSU front section, slightly towards the north goal. That is best value/view in the ground, there are some noisy fans there who get things going and you are relatively near the exit for a swift getaway (once you've clapped the team off I hasten to add!).

Welcome!

PG

Oct 25, 2003
I've been in all 4 stands (including lower and upper in west and east) and I'd say:

View:
Best- West Upper
Worst- North/South Corners

Atmosphere:
Best- North
Worst- South/East Lower

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The only draw back with the fantastic WSU is that you have to be fit enough to do the stairs....and there are....LOTS.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Sit with our lot in the East Upper and you will see:
Dead People
Loud People (us)
Young People
Old People (me)
Wimmin :eek:
Inebriated People (us) :drink:

All in all a good bunch:thumbsup:

Even the dead people are harmless enough:angel:

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Oi! What's all this with most people recommending "somewhere near the centre" of the WSU to a newbie. How about you ask us first? We're full and don't need any newbies, thanks. Tell him to go sit in WSL, they're quiet in there and he can get a good view of the players to work out who they are and what they do - from WSU he'll not have a clue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here