New York

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
We're heading over a couple of weeks before Christmas, and me and the boy will be going to MetLife Stadium in Jersey to see a Giants game. We'll be staying in the Times Sq area - any recommendations on the best way to get to and from the game (ideally with a shorter wait than on the platform at Falmer...)?

There is a bus from the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd St that goes direct to the stadium - Im sure if you check online at the Giants website they will provide links & details - probably 15-20 mins max (traffic dependant) ad fairly cheap if I remember correctly

Alternatively you can take a train to Secaucus Junction from Penn Station and change to a train direct to the ground as well I think - Bus probably your best and quickest bet though - have fun ! Bring warm clothing as the stadium has no roof and it will likely be chilly by then

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi, some great tips on this thread for New York but I am unsure about whether my wife and I need any other paperwork apart from our passports, i.e visa's. We have never done America before so are going to do a five/six day break in November. Many thanks.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Brighton burger.jpgIt's worth checking out this burger place - after all it's named after Brighton and the burgers aint bad. About 5 blocks down from Macys on 6th Avenue

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Just found suitable flights and a hotel in midtown Manhattan. Is this a good location? Seems quite central and just a tube or bus ride away for main sights. Also I like to think I am quite savvy when it comes to safety but any tips on what not to do or more importantly, where not to go? Cheers.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Just found suitable flights and a hotel in midtown Manhattan. Is this a good location? Seems quite central and just a tube or bus ride away for main sights. Also I like to think I am quite savvy when it comes to safety but any tips on what not to do or more importantly, where not to go? Cheers.

Midtown Manhattan sounds good - personally I'd prefer to stay a bit more downtown, in Greenwich Village.

Manhattan felt very safe indeed when we were there for a week this summer - and friendly too. We also enjoyed Brooklyn - get over to Williamsberg - but didn't go to the Bronx or Harlem. Others have told me that these places are not as safe, but we had no reason to go anyway.

It's a big city, like London. the same rules apply.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Midtown Manhattan sounds good - personally I'd prefer to stay a bit more downtown, in Greenwich Village.

Manhattan felt very safe indeed when we were there for a week this summer - and friendly too. We also enjoyed Brooklyn - get over to Williamsberg - but didn't go to the Bronx or Harlem. Others have told me that these places are not as safe, but we had no reason to go anyway.

It's a big city, like London. the same rules apply.

Appreciate your input Pogue Mahone. Thanks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Some good news from the USA today as The Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore and The Statue Of Liberty re-open.

All being funded by individual states whilst this budget impasse goes on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With this budget issue in limbo in the USA, is it better to buy dollars now or wait until it is hopefully sorted?

Not really sure but I always get currency in advance just to be on the safe side and the rate has gone up from around $1.45 to $1.55 since we last went.

Sadly not like the heady days of 2008 when it was $2 for every £1

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Some good news from the USA today as The Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore and The Statue Of Liberty re-open.

All being funded by individual states whilst this budget impasse goes on.

Only for a week - they could close again if the Republicans keep playing silly buggers

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
http://astoronpark.com/

This hotel, when I stayed in April was incredibly cheap, something like 65 quid a night. It's certainly not a luxury hotel, nor is the location that close to Time SQ for example but it's on Central Park West giving you nice views of the park, especially if you get the top floor room with a side terrace, which was an amazing room.

Just outside was a subway station too which gets you from the hotel to downtown in about 20 minutes, highly recommended hotel if you're on a budget.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi folks, just three weeks away from our first trip to New York and was wondering what allowances are granted by either country into what we are allowed to bring back, i.e gifts, personal items ( clothes and small electrical items ) if we so desired to bring anything back. Any tips or hints would be much appreciated. Also if we do make purchases can we claim back any tax and if so how do we go about doing so? Cheers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hi folks, just three weeks away from our first trip to New York and was wondering what allowances are granted by either country into what we are allowed to bring back, i.e gifts, personal items ( clothes and small electrical items ) if we so desired to bring anything back. Any tips or hints would be much appreciated. Also if we do make purchases can we claim back any tax and if so how do we go about doing so? Cheers.

We go in a week and if you have ever been caught overspending then you are a fool, just take the tags off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports