Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Has anyone been to the Museum of the American Indian in Manhattan. Went past it in October and thought I must go there next time.

Yes, 2 years ago, very well done, not a hands on type museum, but some of the information and objects on display are eye opening, the building is very atmospheric in there too.... worth a few hours if you are on the financial district.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The High Line is fantastic. Try and walk the full distance as you get an amazing perspective of the city. Try and finish at the Meat Packing District end as this area and especially West Village are really nice places to hang out. There is also a Frank Gehry building as you approach the Meat Packing end; it's the white translucent 4 story thing on the right and the view from the high line is the best. If high-end shopping is your thing then there are plenty of labels utilising the old meat packing warehouses once you step off the high line. It's nice to just look in the windows even if this is not your thing as a lot of top designers have their couture shops here and some of the outfits are just bonkers. Check out Hogs and Heffers bar as well. Have a wonder through the village and stop off for food at our very own Fatboy Slim's (Michelin starred) Gastro Pub The Spotted Pig | 314 W. 11th Street @ Greenwich Street New York, NY 10014 at 314 West 11th. It's all about the burgers in the spotted pig. The Blind Tiger Ale House is a great place to sample the local craft beer scene.

I also recommend getting a cab from the Blind Tiger to Diner in Brooklyn. Its just under the Williamsburg Bridge at 85 Broadway. It's a diner in an old railway carriage which serves up locally sourced food esp burgers and ale. Have a vodka martini to kick things off though, then move onto the burger menu. This is also one of the rare places in the city where you can legally drink and smoke outside.

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
New York is my absolute fave city in the world.

I'd try and avoid touristy bits if you have been before (or even if not) avoid actually going to the Statue of Liberty is my number 1 'give it a miss.'

Echo Highline, great concept and nice walk and good advice to finish at Meat Packing District.

Best Burger (and possibly shake/concrete), well not tried EVERYWHERE, but Shake Shack is quality, and well worth the queue. Steak, Keens is over-rated, poor service. Actually prefer some of the more modern Steak places. BLT Prime, BLT Steak or Quality Meats. Katz Deli well worth a trip for a Pastrami sandwich.

Agree re: Blind Tiger, top craft beers.

If you have not before, do some exploring around SoHo, Meat Packing District, Chelsea and West Village. A lot of nice little shops, boutiques, bars etc. Chelsea Market quite good too for a look at all the food.

D

Deleted member 18477

I have booked my flights/accom seperately. I fly from Manchester so fairly limited options from their. Going with American Airlines and it was about £400 each. I'm staying at Marriott Residence Inn near Times Square and its £85 per night B&B.

Ok mate cheers. That's not bad compared to what I've seen. 7 nights plus flights would be about 1k. I suppose it varies depending on what time of year you go as well though. I've never been before so this thread is interesting!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Steak, Keens is over-rated, poor service.

Absolute tosh, I have been there four times, and apart from the history and environment, the quality of the waiting staff is as good as you will get anywhere, it is a real treasure amongst the rest of the mid town dross....... however Springal, if you revel in Harvester eat as much as you like style steak houses, then of course Keens will be a bit alien to you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Re: Hotels, New York is very over priced. Take TripAdvisor with a pinch of salt, as Americans moan about not having a coffee machine in the room! But personally around $150-£200 a night is for a reasonable room. I usually stay at Hiltons as use some points (gained through work) to take the edge off the price. Conrad is nice, although downtown, so might not be ideal base for first visit.

Hilton Garden Inn at 35th is nice, but prices massively vary.

For non Hilton, New Yorker is a classic, reasonable rooms, right by Madison Square Gardens / Macys etc. Don't get a deal with breakfast, just go out and get anything from a $4 bagel, to $15 pancake stack each day.

For flights, anything around £400 in Economy is a good price.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Absolute tosh, I have been there four times, and apart from the history and environment, the quality of the waiting staff is as good as you will get anywhere, it is a real treasure amongst the rest of the mid town dross....... however Springal, if you revel in Harvester eat as much as you like style steak houses, then of course Keens will be a bit alien to you.

No need for that. The food is good, but the service is very stuffy. If you look, the places I listed are as much, if not MORE expensive than Keens, but a bit nicer, younger, trendier than Keens. Just my opinion of course.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
For non Hilton, New Yorker is a classic, reasonable rooms, right by Madison Square Gardens / Macys etc.

This.

I'm staying at the New Yorker this time as I have on my last two trips. Highly recommended.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm there for 5 nights so got a fair amount of time.

Here's my list of things I'm definitely doing:

Day in Brooklyn including:
- Bridge walk
- Some shopping for the lady
- Brooklyn Nets game (booked)

- Top of the Rock (best view apparently)
- Empire State (I can't go to NY and not go up it)
- High Line
- Central Park
- Time Sq

Other than that, I'm kind of open to suggestions. We both love nosing round shops and eating good food as well as a bit of exploring. Any suggestions are welcome!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm there for 5 nights so got a fair amount of time.

Here's my list of things I'm definitely doing:

Day in Brooklyn including:
- Bridge walk
- Some shopping for the lady
- Brooklyn Nets game (booked)

- Top of the Rock (best view apparently)
- Empire State (I can't go to NY and not go up it)
- High Line
- Central Park
- Time Sq

Other than that, I'm kind of open to suggestions. We both love nosing round shops and eating good food as well as a bit of exploring. Any suggestions are welcome!

If you're at Times Square, you can get a direct non stop subway train to Grand Central Station which takes about 3/4 minutes. Well worth a look and they had a little market inside the station too. This is also adjacent to the Chrysler building.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
If you're at Times Square, you can get a direct non stop subway train to Grand Central Station which takes about 3/4 minutes. Well worth a look and they had a little market inside the station too. This is also adjacent to the Chrysler building.

You can walk from times sq to grand central in about five minutes..... Walking is what Manhattan is all about,... Get out there and see it all first hand, don't miss it all by hiding in the subway.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Walk across this...

280px-Brooklyn_Bridge_Postdlf.jpg

...get the best pizza in the world from Grimaldi's (eat in if cold or take out and eat outside looking back at Manhattan)...

...and then pick up an ice cream from the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory to eat on the walk back.

I've heard a LOT of good things about The High Line, which will be new since you visited, but I've not had a chance to explore myself yet.

Went back to Grimaldi's last month and can confirm it is as good as ever. Always worth going for a pizza each rather than sharing as you can ask to take what you can't eat away with you.

High Line is a lovely and relaxing way to spend an hour or so.

Definitely go on stubhub website and try and get tickets for the New York Rangers. Brilliant atmosphere and have a great team this season. Catching the Knicks is also worthwhile although the Brooklyn Nets are a slightly cheaper option and play at lovely new arena.

Central Park Zoo is a good way to spend a couple of hours while 'doing' Central Park in general.

Bryant Park for ice skating.

Defo try and find a Tim Hortons coffee shop for a Moca Latte. Best coffee in the world.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Also if you like eating out, try Sons of Essex on the East Side. Menu on its website but nice food and not too overpriced.

Definitely go to Foleys if you want a proper New York sports bar experience. Great bar, amazing memorabilia AND my old REMF Slbion shirt hanging on the wall!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
if you fancy something a little bit off the wall and you have a couple if hours free try the library tour
11am and 2pm daily from the reception on 42nd and 5th. Takes an hour and is fascinating as you get to see historic archives. One if the few things in New York that is FREE

Oh and dont forget the Apple store in Grand Central Station - hours of free fun

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Always a good idea to plan beforehand and group things together.

For example, you can do World Trade Centre and Statue of Liberty ferry in the same morning, head to Brooklyn Bridge on foot and see financial district, have late lunch at Grimaldi's then head to Barclays Centre for the Nets.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
When we were there many years ago we did the helicopter trip from south st pier I believe, took us round statue of liberty and up the river and back down over central park, also for shoppIng we got the bus out to Woodbury pines factory outlet shopping village, loads of bargains to be had.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here