Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] New Year's Honours

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Scary is still very shaggable. So that’s justified her honour for me.

A mate of mine went to dance school in Leeds with her in the early 90s but didn't tell us until she was going out with Eddie Murphy. For some reason he decided that was the only point at which any of us might be curious to find out that he'd known her pretty well for a while, though he'd never known her in the Biblical sense. We tried to get some gossip as they'd been close enough friends to hang out a fair bit but all he'd say is it was obvious if anyone in the class was going to be successful it'd be her: smart enough, talented enough, ambitious enough, attractive enough, and a nice person as well so likeable too. I think the only down side is she's a Leeds fan.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Millions of people have very difficult things going on in their lives, much of it unfortunately self-inflicted. Do all of those who then try to help others deserve gongs?

I take your point - these two just happen to be in the public eye and have taken the opportunity to use it.

And I’m no great fan of the honours system anyway.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Has Tony Blair been found guilty of so called “war crimes”? Or waging an illegal war?

Jan 30, 2008
SIR Tony Blair. What a joke. Take us into an unnecessary war that kills thousands and you're given a Sir-ship. Disgusting.

And Sir Whitty. What has he done except kept the whole country locked away for 18 months and in the process achieved bugger all?

Nuremberg war trials spring to mind

Regards
DF

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
SIR Tony Blair. What a joke. Take us into an unnecessary war that kills thousands and you're given a Sir-ship. Disgusting.

And Sir Whitty. What has he done except kept the whole country locked away for 18 months and in the process achieved bugger all?

What has he done? Yes you are right he is a total waste of space…never done anything with his life…complete wastrel!

I assume you were on the sauce when you wrote that

Biography
Professor Chris Whitty is Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, the UK government’s Chief Medical Adviser and head of the public health profession. He represents the UK on the Executive Board of the World Health Organization.

Chris is a practising NHS Consultant Physician at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases, and Gresham Professor of Physic at Gresham College.

Chris is an epidemiologist and has undertaken research and worked as a doctor in the UK, Africa and Asia. He was Professor of Public and International Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) before becoming CMO.

Chris was the Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) from January 2016 to August 2021, with overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including being head of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), the government’s major funder of clinical, public health, social care and translational research.

Chris was the interim Government Chief Scientific Adviser from 2017 to 2018, including during the Novichok poisonings. Before that, he was the Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for International Development (DFID), which included leading technical work on the West Africa Ebola outbreak and other international emergencies.

Conflicts of interest:

honorary professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) (unpaid)
consultant physician, University College London Hospital and Hospital for Tropical Diseases (UCLH) (unpaid)
honorary member, National Fever Service (unpaid)
Gresham Professor of Physic, Gresham College (stipend)
International Scientific Advisory Board, Malawi/Liverpool Wellcome Unit (unpaid)
non-executive trustee, Sightsavers charity (unpaid)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You ain't seen nothing yet , blokes a snide at best
It's time to ditch this honours bollocks

Regards
DF

I watched him heal Britain after over a decade of Tory plundering. This country owes him a huge debt and the least we can do is honour him.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I don’t believe all the lefties who say now that they were vehemently against the invasion of Iraq.

The same people call TB a Red Tory. They didn’t say that from 1997 to 2007. It was just a handful such as never pleased Corbyn.

A number of Blairs Cabinet resigned over the Iraq war, Robin Cooks resignation speech ahead of the vote on going to war, was loudly applauded by the Labour benches. The prospect of it prompted one of the largest protest marches ever to take place in London, and in many other cities around the world. All Lib Dem MP's, bar one who abstained, and quarter (84) of Labour MP's voted against the Government proposal to go to war (69 abstentions), 2 of the 166 Tory MP's voted against it (17 abstentions).
It was clearly not a popular decision at the time, particularly on the left, to go to war, and support for it grew even weaker as it went on.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What has he done? Yes you are right he is a total waste of space…never done anything with his life…complete wastrel!

I assume you were on the sauce when you wrote that

Biography
Professor Chris Whitty is Chief Medical Officer (CMO) for England, the UK government’s Chief Medical Adviser and head of the public health profession. He represents the UK on the Executive Board of the World Health Organization.

Chris is a practising NHS Consultant Physician at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) and the Hospital for Tropical Diseases, and Gresham Professor of Physic at Gresham College.

Chris is an epidemiologist and has undertaken research and worked as a doctor in the UK, Africa and Asia. He was Professor of Public and International Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) before becoming CMO.

Chris was the Chief Scientific Adviser for the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) from January 2016 to August 2021, with overall responsibility for the department’s research and development, including being head of the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR), the government’s major funder of clinical, public health, social care and translational research.

Chris was the interim Government Chief Scientific Adviser from 2017 to 2018, including during the Novichok poisonings. Before that, he was the Chief Scientific Adviser at the Department for International Development (DFID), which included leading technical work on the West Africa Ebola outbreak and other international emergencies.

Conflicts of interest:

honorary professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) (unpaid)
consultant physician, University College London Hospital and Hospital for Tropical Diseases (UCLH) (unpaid)
honorary member, National Fever Service (unpaid)
Gresham Professor of Physic, Gresham College (stipend)
International Scientific Advisory Board, Malawi/Liverpool Wellcome Unit (unpaid)
non-executive trustee, Sightsavers charity (unpaid)

All channelled into saving lives and improving health. If it wasn’t for the unwanted limelight of this pandemic, he’d have done all of the above modestly in the background.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My opinion
d2eb7ecbcb42011b4091946efee04041.jpg

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

The petition set up to strip this War Criminal of his honour is approaching 500,000……

I’m assuming there is a petition for him to keep the honour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The petition set up to strip this War Criminal of his honour is approaching 500,000……

I’m assuming there is a petition for him to keep the honour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Who really cares except for looney lefties or far right gammon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here