Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] New Year's Honours

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who cares? Like it makes a difference to anyone or anything?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
SIR Tony Blair. What a joke. Take us into an unnecessary war that kills thousands and you're given a Sir-ship. Disgusting.

And Sir Whitty. What has he done except kept the whole country locked away for 18 months and in the process achieved bugger all?

Tony Blair or Boris Johnson? Who would I rather have in charge at the moment? Not difficult!

And if The J idiot had taken more notice of Whitby and Van Tam, we’d probably be in a better place, with far fewer people dead!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
SIR Tony Blair. What a joke. Take us into an unnecessary war that kills thousands and you're given a Sir-ship. Disgusting.

And Sir Whitty. What has he done except kept the whole country locked away for 18 months and in the process achieved bugger all?

**** me. Sometimes I take a peek at posts by people I have on ignore. I realise it is early in the new year, but not so early to say that you sir, yes, you, sir, are a dick, sir. So you are, sir.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And which prime minister doesn't.

The problem re the knighthood is that it is the norm for ex PMs. Until TB was knighted then no subsequent PMs could be knighted eg Brown, Cameron, May and now Johnson.

As for Blair, some only focus on the war, a war which, had the Tories been in power, we would have gone into anyway.

Twice as quickly and with half as many questions asked.

There was a clamour for it at the time.

A strange alliance of Corbynites and the pig-in-a-blue-rosette wing of tories are now Captain Hindsights in cahoots, desperate to re-wright/write history about the best PM we ever had since the (other) war. (The so-called opinion of bleating liberals and greens doesn't count).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
**** me. Sometimes I take a peek at posts by people I have on ignore. I realise it is early in the new year, but not so early to say that you sir, yes, you, sir, are a dick, sir. So you are, sir.

If I can indulge myself, I do find these new breed of politically confused/homeless very interesting.

Anything is open to their contempt and blame rather the leaders and/or ideas they put in place and/or supported.

It even extends to a politician who has been out of office for 14 years or a scientific advisor whose advice has often been ignored.

Always somebody else's fault, innit ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Twice as quickly and with half as many questions asked.

There was a clamour for it at the time.

A strange alliance of Corbynites and the pig-in-a-blue-rosette wing of tories are now Captain Hindsights in cahoots, desperate to re-wright/write history about the best PM we ever had since the (other) war. (The so-called opinion of bleating liberals and greens doesn't count).

I don’t believe all the lefties who say now that they were vehemently against the invasion of Iraq.

The same people call TB a Red Tory. They didn’t say that from 1997 to 2007. It was just a handful such as never pleased Corbyn.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

the whole kit and caboodle is a farce, a flimmin pantomime, why are you so triggered about these two "honours"?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don’t believe all the lefties who say now that they were vehemently against the invasion of Iraq.

The same people call TB a Red Tory. They didn’t say that from 1997 to 2007. It was just a handful such as never pleased Corbyn.

I think in fairness a number of lefties were. I was walking through Brixton at the time and randomly picked up an anti-war leaflet from the ground.

Never attended such an event at the time so went along.

Just for context, I went out of interest. I'd also read a few books about Saddam around the time of the first Gulf War. Evil piece of shit. I did so because I was locked out of East London Polytechnic at the time because they had closed it in "protest", which really annoyed me but I digress...

Claire Short MP was there and the comedian Mark Steel who made some compelling arguments. Unfortunately the event got derailed by some Post Office employees complaining about privatisation and some left wing 9/11 conspiracy theorists who blamed a particular country.....

Back to the point, I get far more annoyed by the current right of centre revisionists who will declare New Labour were war mongering right wingers or left wing communist country bankrupters just to fit their argument. The bonkers Corbynist branch are at least consistent. The anti-war Thatcherites are revisionists, nothing more, nothing less.

But let's be honest, it's also a useful distraction to avoid attention from the basket case the current regime was then in opposition and is now in power.

It's perfectly acceptable to be of a particular political persuasion but dislike your party in a moment in time.

"Supporters" of this current lot do struggle though and will blame anything and anybody they can find. Even if they have been out of office for years.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Well done Tony, fully deserved, by far the best PM in my lifetime, better than Cameron, May and that cretin we currently have to suffer, put together.
But Kate Garraway, Scary Spice and the tennis girl makes this years list a joke.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think in fairness a number of lefties were. I was walking through Brixton at the time and randomly picked up an anti-war leaflet from the ground.

Never attended such an event at the time so went along.

Just for context, I went out of interest. I'd also read a few books about Saddam around the time of the first Gulf War. Evil piece of shit. I did so because I was locked out of East London Polytechnic at the time because they had closed it in "protest", which really annoyed me but I digress...

Claire Short MP was there and the comedian Mark Steel who made some compelling arguments. Unfortunately the event got derailed by some Post Office employees complaining about privatisation and some left wing 9/11 conspiracy theorists who blamed a particular country.....

Back to the point, I get far more annoyed by the current right of centre revisionists who will declare New Labour were war mongering right wingers or left wing communist country bankrupters just to fit their argument. The bonkers Corbynist branch are at least consistent. The anti-war Thatcherites are revisionists, nothing more, nothing less.

But let's be honest, it's also a useful distraction to avoid attention from the basket case the current regime was then in opposition and is now in power.

Robin Cook.

I was referring to punters, not politicians. The trendy view in the last 10 years is to claim, amongst many things, that you were against a war orchestrated by Bush’s puppy Red Tory Tony Blair.

A deliberate distancing from Blair. Overriding the good work done in the UK.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

VAR is checking this post for possible repeated stupidity and ignorance.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Robin Cook.

I was referring to punters, not politicians. The trendy view in the last 10 years is to claim, amongst many things, that you were against a war orchestrated by Bush’s puppy Red Tory Tony Blair.

A deliberate distancing from Blair. Overriding the good work done in the UK.

Yes I agree, but I think the revisionism is mostly from the centre ground, but most (hypocritically) from the right.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes I agree, but I think the revisionism is mostly from the centre ground, but most (hypocritically) from the right.

Aside from commentators / people who try to dominate us (zzzz influencers), genuinely I don’t know any Tory members of the public who still refer to the Iraq War. Through my work etc, I know a wide cross section of folk.

But I hear repeated sniping about Blair from left wing commentators, voters and associates. Tony Bliar, The Illegal War and his obscene wealth are the charges. [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] Wilson’s tackle, I think, has picked on this many a time. Reaching a crescendo in the Corbyn years, unbridled hate towards Blair and Blairites, in a contrived war to keep control of the LP.

I don’t know any Tories who hate Blair, who talk about the bloke.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Aside from commentators / people who try to dominate us (zzzz influencers), genuinely I don’t know any Tory members of the public who still refer to the Iraq War. Through my work etc, I know a wide cross section of folk.

But I hear repeated sniping about Blair from left wing commentators, voters and associates. Tony Bliar, The Illegal War and his obscene wealth are the charges. [MENTION=15734]harry[/MENTION] Wilson’s tackle, I think, has picked on this many a time. Reaching a crescendo in the Corbyn years, unbridled hate towards Blair and Blairites, in a contrived war to keep control of the LP.

I don’t know any Tories who hate Blair, who talk about the bloke.

I agree totally, the left has completely eaten itself over Blair. But I was originally referring to the new "politically homeless".

Those who ideologically who should hate this current regime for their authoritarian free spending ways, but dig up long gone politicians (from another party) and current civil servants to vent their anger.

You won't hear them screaming Johnson has ruined this party and Thatcher would turn in her grave etc...

The Queen honoured Blair, not the Government but you won't hear them criticising her. It's a deeply confusing time politically, but it's those on the right of centre who at the moment are the deeply confused and lashing out at anything or anyone.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Grow up about Chris Whitty ffs. What role do you have in society, out of interest?

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

He should be in front of a judge for War Crimes instead he gets the opposite.
What is wrong with this country [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Have to disagree re Whitty but am not happy re Blair who has done little more than stoke his wallet since getting out of office.

I agree, however the only reason 90% of people go into office is to stoke their wallets, at least he waited until he left before getting the rake out.

Whilst there are a fair few well deserved gonks, they do seem to be dishing them out like biscuits.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
SIR Jimmy Saville.
SIR Phillip Green.
SIR Alan Davies
BARON Jeffery Archer
SIR George Castledine
DAME Jean Else
SIR Fred Goodwin
SIR Anthony Blunt.

Who wouldn’t be honoured to be lumped in with this lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here