Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] New Year's Honours

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Someone getting an MBE today is an awful bully at their work and has caused most of the people immediately underneath them to resign this year. Most honours are a load of crap.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I didn’t realise that ex Prime Ministers could only be honoured in order, so Brown, Cameron, May and Johnson couldn’t be honoured until Blair had been.
I really hope Brown sticks to his principles and always refuses a K.

Therefore, denying one to Cameron, May ,and Johnson who have all been catastrophic to our country in various ways.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I didn’t realise that ex Prime Ministers could only be honoured in order, so Brown, Cameron, May and Johnson couldn’t be honoured until Blair had been.

Therefore, denying one to Cameron, May ,and Johnson who have all been catastrophic to our country in various ways.

No doubt the tories you mention have all had their share of disaster. But Brown? Buy high sell low on Gold anyone? Not great.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A short list of some who have previously refused honours.

Ken Loach, Craig Murray, Danny Boyle, Alan Rickman, Michael Faraday, Amartya Sen, Paul Weller, Stephen Hawking, David Bowie, Virginia Woolf, Jon Snow, Harold Pinter,Dawn French, B.Zephaniah..!

Unfortunately, I can no longer add Vanessa Redgrave to this honourable list.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

That would be hilarious if those 3 had to wait until Gordon Brown croaked in order to get honoured. But no doubt Johnson would just move the goalposts and award himself the Knighthood.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
That would be hilarious if those 3 had to wait until Gordon Brown croaked in order to get honoured. But no doubt Johnson would just move the goalposts and award himself the Knighthood.

I think Johnson will award himself much more than a Knighthood.

“Order of the Bestest , most handsome, King of the WORLD, with the BIGGEST KNOB”

That sounds about right.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Another year where Bozza misses out on a gong……crazy.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The Honours system is so out of date in the modern day.

If any awards should be given then they should only be for people actually helping society and not sports stars, actors, or government cronies.

This is 2022 not the dark ages anymore.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Never understood the need to give actors gongs. They are effectively out of work for most the year and make their money pulling funny faces and reading other peoples words.

There I've said it.

That’s rather reductive. Cultural enrichment, hundreds of millions of £ brought into the economy, carrying the torch for great British traditions.
Remove every actor/performer from the planet and life would be fairly dull.

But yes, I get your point.

Many, many unknowns get honours you just don’t hear about them cos they aren’t known. And not all of them are deserving. My Aunt got one and as far as I can tell all she did was a couple of fun runs in 2017.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
A short list of some who have previously refused honours.

Ken Loach, Craig Murray, Danny Boyle, Alan Rickman, Michael Faraday, Amartya Sen, Paul Weller, Stephen Hawking, David Bowie, Virginia Woolf, Jon Snow, Harold Pinter,Dawn French, B.Zephaniah..!

Unfortunately, I can no longer add Vanessa Redgrave to this honourable list.
Michael Sheen "gave his OBE back" after realising he would be a hypocrite for accepting it.. Technically, he still has it as it has to be annulled by HM.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think Blair deserves his award. Well, as much as any of them. He instigated sweeping cultural and social change, dragging Britain out of the Tory years and into the 21st century. He also dragged us into a war but IMHO very, very few wars are justifiable outside of protecting revenue and resources.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t believe all the lefties who say now that they were vehemently against the invasion of Iraq.

The same people call TB a Red Tory. They didn’t say that from 1997 to 2007. It was just a handful such as never pleased Corbyn.

Yep. The only people I ever heard call TB a 'red tory' at the time were people like my local union convenor/steward whatever they are called. And he was and is a member of the SWP. Rather like on NSC, a tiny number of noisy twattos give a false impression of the general perspective. And there are enough tories on NSC who have expressed their displeasure at Johnson for it to be clear that both the left and right feet are generally well-shod when it comes to perspective. :thumbsup:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Well done Tony, fully deserved, by far the best PM in my lifetime, better than Cameron, May and that cretin we currently have to suffer, put together.
But Kate Garraway, Scary Spice and the tennis girl makes this years list a joke.
Agreed. The country has fallen a long long long way downhill since Tony ( and Gordon ) left office.

Things can quite literally "only get better" from now I suppose.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Honours system is so out of date in the modern day.

If any awards should be given then they should only be for people actually helping society and not sports stars, actors, or government cronies.

This is 2022 not the dark ages anymore.

You are correct. However, the rulers (I won’t call them leaders) of this once great nation still live as if it is the 1500’s. They treat us as peasants, occasionally emptying the odd sack of rotten veg form the citadel towers to appease the simple minded. This is what they are doing by giving nurses and charity workers honours. They quietly, begrudgingly toss a few minor awards at the genuine heroes and make a huge fuss over profiteering wankers they went to public school with.

If the really want to reward the true heroes of this nation, pay them decent wages and stop trying to dismantle the NHS.

Political choice or Monarch’s choice, the honours are a self congratulatory exercise in nauseating cronieism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here