Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New two pound coin

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Pathetic post, I guess none of your relatives were 'patriotic' and died saving us from the Germans then,... What did they do during the War?

The Kitchener coin is superb and a great tribute to those brave souls that gave their lives for us

They didnt give their lives for us...just a tragic waste of life for everybody...fairly sure there were no plans on the German side of ever attacking an island nation, with the most powerful navy in the world at the time.

I find the first WW facinating. How they convinced those poor sods to stick that shit out for so long is mind numbing.
The attacks on Britain in ww1 were a few Zeppelin and bomber raids, and naval shelling in Scarborough very early in the war I think, and that was to draw out elements of the RN
That finally happened in 1916 at Jutland and the Imperial navy never ventured out of port again after that, realising they would be annilhilated, if they ever tried that shit again....

Last edited:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
I'm in two minds about it, I love the design and believe the sacrifices made should be commemorated but then again, Kitchener allowed thousands of men, women and children to die in concentration camps during the Boer war and encouraged the total destruction of their homes and livelihoods, is he really deserving of a place on the coin? It's an iconic image of the war no question but I do feel a different image could have been used, perhaps showing the soldiers in some way, the people who suffered the most, particularly in a war where the short-comings of the Generals was so woefully exposed.

Well put sir.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
As the coin is to commemorate the 100 years since the start of WW1, then i think perhaps a Poppy on one side, and a British soldier on the other would be good.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As the coin is to commemorate the 100 years since the start of WW1, then i think perhaps a Poppy on one side, and a British soldier on the other would be good.

This from 2012

image.jpg

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i suggest you go and review your history books, then tell us what exactly what they where giving their lives for in the Somme, Ypres, Verdun etc.

at the very least a more sombre commemeration is warranted than Kitchener's image, selling the war.
Indeed, surely a poppy would suffice.

My Euro 96 commemerative £2 coin is now worth the princely sum of, er, £2 :ohmy:
I tried to use one of those at the Dartford toll boths and the woman got irate! They called security over in the end!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That image of Kitchener was never actually used during the war. In fact it didn't exist until after the war. Only got commissioned once the war was over as a retrospective push to make people feel patriotic and justify the loss of life. So therefore that coin is shit.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Scrapping the 1p would see an end to x.99 psychological pricing strategies of course ... plus the death of the 99p Store brand !! Absolutely no reason not to dispense with the 2p immediately though.

I already struggle to land on £30.00 when at the petrol pump, if they scrap 1 and 2p would petrol go up 5p at a time at the pump??

Incidentally, that is what I do with my 1 & 2p's, I put them in the car, so when my petrol is £30.01 I have the 1p to pay, rather than getting 99p change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That image of Kitchener was never actually used during the war. In fact it didn't exist until after the war. Only got commissioned once the war was over as a retrospective push to make people feel patriotic and justify the loss of life. So therefore that coin is shit.

reckon you're thinking of the "keep calm" poster. the Kitchener image was widely used and copied across posters and newspaper ads.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
i suggest you go and review your history books, then tell us what exactly what they where giving their lives for in the Somme, Ypres, Verdun etc.

at the very least a more sombre commemeration is warranted than Kitchener's image, selling the war.

reckon you're thinking of the "keep calm" poster. the Kitchener image was widely used and copied across posters and newspaper ads.
Not according to this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/...irst-World-War-poster-that-never-existed.html

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The penny is purely symbolic now anyway, even a penny sweet costs more than that these days.

But if it costs more it's not a penny sweet

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here