Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New two pound coin

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Pathetic post, I guess none of your relatives were 'patriotic' and died saving us from the Germans then,... What did they do during the War?

The Kitchener coin is superb and a great tribute to those brave souls that gave their lives for us

i suggest you go and review your history books, then tell us what exactly what they where giving their lives for in the Somme, Ypres, Verdun etc.

at the very least a more sombre commemeration is warranted than Kitchener's image, selling the war.

Last edited:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm just looking forward to the 1p and 2p to go the way of the 1/2p.

The 5p is the equivilent to the old 1/2p.

I remember pre-Euro when the Dutch still used the Guilder, their smallest denomination coin was the 5 cent. When you got your total shopping bill 1&2 cents were rounded down to 0, 3&4 up to 5, 6&7 down to 5 and 8&9 up to 10.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm in two minds about it, I love the design and believe the sacrifices made should be commemorated but then again, Kitchener allowed thousands of men, women and children to die in concentration camps during the Boer war and encouraged the total destruction of their homes and livelihoods, is he really deserving of a place on the coin? It's an iconic image of the war no question but I do feel a different image could have been used, perhaps showing the soldiers in some way, the people who suffered the most, particularly in a war where the short-comings of the Generals was so woefully exposed.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I hope so, I accumulated a £100 of coppers and needed a wheelbarrow the other day to transport it to a Coin Star.

It felt like I was in old Russia buying a loaf of bread :lolol:

I used to collect coppers and five pences in a Pot Noodle tub and take them to a Coin Star and get fleeced 7.9% for the privelege, THEN it dawned on me that all the people you get stuck in till queues behind, counting out the right shrapnel have actually got it sussed. When I started doing it, I noticed I had more large silver and pound coins etc at the end of the day :)

I'm in two minds about it, I love the design and believe the sacrifices made should be commemorated but then again, Kitchener allowed thousands of men, women and children to die in concentration camps during the Boer war and encouraged the total destruction of their homes and livelihoods, is he really deserving of a place on the coin? It's an iconic image of the war no question but I do feel a different image could have been used, perhaps showing the soldiers in some way, the people who suffered the most, particularly in a war where the short-comings of the Generals was so woefully exposed.

I share your doubts. Kitchener is one of the more offensive images of WW1.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I used to collect coppers and five pences in a Pot Noodle tub and take them to a Coin Star and get fleeced 7.9% for the privelege, THEN it dawned on me that all the people you get stuck in till queues behind, counting out the right shrapnel have actually got it sussed. When I started doing it, I noticed I had more large silver and pound coins etc at the end of the day :)

Yep, I tried to start doing that but trying to get rid of a £100 worth would have taken the rest of my life. Now I have got rid of them I can use a different strategy.

The only trouble is now I have probably got over £1000 worth of 10's, 20's and 50's :lolol:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Yep, I tried to start doing that but trying to get rid of a £100 worth would have taken the rest of my life. Now I have got rid of them I can use a different strategy.

The only trouble is now I have probably got over £1000 worth of 10's, 20's and 50's :lolol:

If that was me, I'd go up the Amex in March and count it out to pay my ST on the nose :lolol:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
i suggest you go and review your history books, then tell us what exactly what they where giving their lives for in the Somme, Ypres, Verdun etc.

at the very least a more sombre commemeration is warranted than Kitchener's image, selling the war.

It's an easily recognisable image and instantly linked to WWI, what other alternatives are there that would make it as recognisable in marking the beginning of WWI and being a more sober commemoration? - I personally am struggling to think of anything that would apply to WWI only?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Very different now. Who would fight and die for their country now?

Probably not for debating here and now but it begs the questions, would modern day British people and others from more developed nations where the value of life is considerably higher than it ever has been in the past been the result of the peace that nuclear weapons and their deterant? and would people turn a blind eye and be willing to say, ignore another country marching through Europe and persecuting sections of their communities to the point of genecide if the threat was so great that mass mobilisation was needed or would people rather give in and let the country be taken over in order to avoid bloodshed and violence even if there were massacres of the innocent as a result of this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here