New signings...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
If it is constantly necessary to sign new players, then the ones we have are not good enough and by that logic, almost no players we have ever signed are good enough so there's no point wasting money signing any more.

These constant doom and gloom threads are getting tedious. Some of you should bugger off to watch premier league football because they're the only ones who can afford the players that you think we should be signing.
We need just 1 position covering due to the departure of Wayne Bridge.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think most clubs would rather have the player in early. The last minute rush is more down to the players/agents trying to get the best deal possible I would have thought.
That clearly doesn't stack up when looking around the division/leagues.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

And a striker / attacking player. Who do you feel we have to cover the loss to departure and injury, of Vicente, Dobbie, Hoskins and Mackail-Smith?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is not who the players are but how they play !!! If the players we have currently play well we will win more than we lose, there is the skill in the squad. If they play poorly we will struggle.

OK a new addition or two may freshen things up a bit, and the new guy from Bolton sounds sensible and just what we need, but for what we can afford and for what we want to achieve they are not going to transform us.

It is now up to Oscar and largely what we have currently, to get their act together and achieve a result or two.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Those who played their first matches for us on saturday were a good start.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If it is constantly necessary to sign new players, then the ones we have are not good enough and by that logic, almost no players we have ever signed are good enough so there's no point wasting money signing any more.

These constant doom and gloom threads are getting tedious. Some of you should bugger off to watch premier league football because they're the only ones who can afford the players that you think we should be signing.

What about Hoskins(very long term even season out) and Cms(out till late Oct probably),,,who have we replaced them with???

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

I do agree, it does make me wonder why new signings are demanded every close season. Sure, players get old and lose their ability and therefore drop down but otherwise the clamber of new singnings every year is a strange one. I mean that in general not just relating to Brighton. I guess its just a result of the way things are and the desire for new shiny things all the time. This time next season although we've probably made 6 signings this summer, we'll make another 6 and so on and so forth.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
And a striker / attacking player. Who do you feel we have to cover the loss to departure and injury, of Vicente, Dobbie, Hoskins and Mackail-Smith?

CMS I'll give you.
But, the others hardly ever played anyway.
I agree that we could do with an extra striker though.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
This is why we need to get Becchio at all costs can't rely on ulloa all season and a possible fit Cms in a couple of months

Agreed.
Harry Redknapp was quoted in saying that he needs 4 strikers this season in order to get straight back up. Well Harry may be over-egging it with 4 but I think, until we have a fully fit CMS, we need more than just Ulloa and Barnes to be competitive.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
CMS on August 1st

<tweet>362835502728101888</tweet>

Still means he'd be available for 38 or so matches in a 46 game season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Vicente, Dobbie, Hoskins contribution last season = negligible. We finished 4th. CMS, fair enough, maybe a short-term loan to cover his absence until Sep/Oct? Although I would prefer another permanent striker a la Hoskins if I'm honest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Vicente goals:
Hull 1-0
Blackburn 1-1

=4points

Dobbie Goals:
Peterborough 1-0
Wolves 3-3 (plus an assist)

=4pts

Hoskins Goals:
Newcastle (already winning)

Making 16 starts and 24 sub appearances for a playing time total of 1843 (or 20.5 matches)

If we had 8 points and 4 goals less we would have finished in 7th place, outside the play offs. I think negligible is unfair to them.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Vicente goals:
Hull 1-0
Blackburn 1-1

=4points

Dobbie Goals:
Peterborough 1-0
Wolves 3-3 (plus an assist)

=4pts

Hoskins Goals:
Newcastle (already winning)

Making 16 starts and 24 sub appearances for a playing time total of 1843 (or 20.5 matches)

If we had 8 points and 4 goals less we would have finished in 7th place, outside the play offs. I think negligible is unfair to them.

Silly stats. Who's to say whoever played in their place wouldn't have done the same or better.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Silly stats. Who's to say whoever played in their place wouldn't have done the same or better.

And if they had I would argue whoever did had a contribution to the season that was more than negligible.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Vaz Te hasn't gone anywhere yet, neither has Billy Sharp. Just rumours at current, no need to panic.

Typical Ernest scaremongering.

Fair enough, didn't realise that. And like I've said on other threads I reckon we'll finish top two so really not panicking.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Worth remembering CMS may never get his fitness back....he may struggle to re find form/ confidence after such a bad injury and then what?..

Surely anyone who thinks we don't need a striker is seriously deluded if they feel Ulloa can do I all by himself all season!

sharp/Becchio/Vaz Te or McCormack will cost a few quid but it's goals tha wins games..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports