Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New signing - Sam Golan?

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Lets just agree with your absurd logic to shut you up ........

Hardly big fella

You're saying we shouldn't sign all these players from around the world as that is why we have the academy? You say our youth team performed better before the reform

Maybe these local players are not good enough?

Stop criticising the youth system till it's had enough time to produce these players first

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Whats early days about out youth policy, its been with us since the late 70's, just because we have new buildings doesnt follow that player recruitment is anything new.

It is different now because the opposition is different. Before, any kids that were good enough to play top level youth games would've gone to one of the London teams rather than our centre of excellence playing games against Gillingham.

Now we can offer top level football and facilities so will be able to attract the better quality players and keep them from a young age, but as others have said it will take time for them to filter through the system. I'm sure there's plenty of Sussex lads who joined other Academys in the last 10 years who would've joined ours if it was available at the time.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hardly big fella

You're saying we shouldn't sign all these players from around the world as that is why we have the academy? You say our youth team performed better before the reform

Maybe these local players are not good enough?

Stop criticising the youth system till it's had enough time to produce these players first

Look I dont need a fight here, I am offering a view and deeply felt view, based on some experience.

I have been quite clear, I wish those players the very best, but I absolutely feel that you need opportunity and policy on your side, preferably I would prefer local talent being scouted and developed ahead of others.

We are not in the market for the best in the UK, Europe or the World as some like to think, we can trump Pompey, Brentford, Southend, Gillingham et al but we are sitting comfortably behind the usual suspects who have historical links, resources and networks that quickly recruit those genuinely elite talents, they will always get first dibs.

For me the signings have been an engineering job, I dont like bluster when talking about young players development, but time will tell, keep an eye on the leagues and especially the FA youth cup, after that we can revisit this discussion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It is different now because the opposition is different. Before, any kids that were good enough to play top level youth games would've gone to one of the London teams rather than our centre of excellence playing games against Gillingham.

Now we can offer top level football and facilities so will be able to attract the better quality players and keep them from a young age, but as others have said it will take time for them to filter through the system. I'm sure there's plenty of Sussex lads who joined other Academys in the last 10 years who would've joined ours if it was available at the time.

It has changed in recent history, but in the early 80's I am sure we competed in the South East Counties, which included the strongest clubs in London, but the level we are competing in reflects our facilities less so our coaching.

But I agree that the starting point should acquiring the very best in Sussex, but might still be a challenge to entice a kid away from the clutches, of Arsenal, Chelsea or Spurs.

The facility is fantastic and hopefully reflects the potential and resources to deliver the very best coaching, so my point isnt the facility nor necessarily the coaching, more the recruitment policy which impacts directly on the local talent.

We are recruiting decent foreign players and they will demand support and opportunity due to vested interests of those that engineered their recruitment in the first place, the club can do what they wish I understand that, I am just pointing out that dont too quickly assume we are recruiting better players just because you havent seen them hack around Wish Park on a rainy Sunday.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whats early days about out youth policy, its been with us since the late 70's, just because we have new buildings doesnt follow that player recruitment is anything new.

It's early days being a Category One academy, which I was under the impression is a very different thing, and being in the new academy building, which I'm sure brought with it a number of changes. If in 10-15 years our Academy hasn't produced any decent players I will acknowledge your point, and I will - I'm sure with many others - be wondering what on earth's going on and why we spent £20million odd.

Until then, I'm gonna wait.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's early days being a Category One academy, which I was under the impression is a very different thing, and being in the new academy building, which I'm sure brought with it a number of changes. If in 10-15 years our Academy hasn't produced any decent players I will acknowledge your point, and I will - I'm sure with many others - be wondering what on earth's going on and why we spent £20million odd.

Until then, I'm gonna wait.

Its not really the building of the Academy I am commenting on, its the policy of bringing in foreign youngsters that can impact on those that otherwise might be signed.

Those from the outside think that decisions are clear, the best are retained and the worst are released it is very rarely that easy.

Ultimately the club will employ people who they wish to make these calls, I understand that.

We are not recruiting the best, we are recruiting the best of the rest after the bigger clubs have stripped these relatively small footballing nations of their very best.

It is therefore likely that those players are of a similar level to the best with Sussex and no more.

Unless we watched them train and play each day I guess we can only offer a unqualified view of the comparisons, but my experience is that away from the highest elite players ( the best of English, Germany, Italian, Spain, Portugal etc) all those other young players possess some very good attributes and some weaknesses and are of similar ability.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'm not after a scrap [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION], but there's two points I want you to consider:
-- you say that the usual suspects cream up the top talent, which is pretty much incontrovertible, but who gets the next best? I suspect that is what our strategy is by casting our net wider.
-- you claim that those recent DS acquisitions from abroad are no better than what's available in Sussex (and hasn't been hoovered up by the usual suspects, of course). I think this is also a tad suspect.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
By your logic are you saying those that lost 4-0 to Stoke, 2-0 to Everton and 3-0 to Derby last year are destined to achieve more ??
It's a team game, you can't be suggesting that every one of our players involved in those games will fail to make it as a professional?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have been quite clear, I wish those players the very best, but I absolutely feel that you need opportunity and policy on your side, preferably I would prefer local talent being scouted and developed ahead of others.
Is it not possible to develop both, together?

Anyone believing Sussex alone can produce an elite football team is mentals.
As is anyone who believed Sussex is incapable of producing any elite footballers.

Jnr Stat (10) has been Albion coached at school since he was 6.
I'm sure if he or any of the other prancing fairies he skips around with showed even an ounce of talent, they'll be in Lancing quicker than you could say "Welcome to Guantanamo Abdul".

As it stands though, his school isn't a hotbed of soccerball talent.

Last edited:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Is it not possible to develop both, together?

Anyone believing Sussex alone can produce an elite football team is mentals.
As is anyone who believed Sussex is incapable of producing any elite footballers.

Jnr Stat (10) has been Albion coached at school since he was 6.
I'm sure if he or any of the other prancing fairies he skips around with showed even an ounce of talent, they'll be in Lancing quicker than you could say "Welcome to Guantanamo Abdul".

As it stands though, his school isn't a hotbed of soccerball talent.

Honest question Stat.How do you square your somewhat negative stance about all things Albion,when your son looks to be enjoying himself

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Honest question Stat.How do you square your somewhat negative stance about all things Albion,when your son looks to be enjoying himself
I guess not having a negative stance about all things Albion is a good place to start.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
It's a team game, you can't be suggesting that every one of our players involved in those games will fail to make it as a professional?

No I know, that was in response that somehow having a successful team in the 2006 FA Youth cup was irrelevant to those coaching and playing at that time.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not after a scrap [MENTION=5101]BigGully[/MENTION], but there's two points I want you to consider:
-- you say that the usual suspects cream up the top talent, which is pretty much incontrovertible, but who gets the next best? I suspect that is what our strategy is by casting our net wider.
-- you claim that those recent DS acquisitions from abroad are no better than what's available in Sussex (and hasn't been hoovered up by the usual suspects, of course). I think this is also a tad suspect.

By casting your net wider we are still not necessarily getting the best from those areas and even if we were, just take a minute to think about being one of the best players at 16 years old from Iceland a country with the population of Eastbourne, we already know that we do not get the best from Ireland, thats Man Utd's historical job and this new youngster is unlikely to be the best from the USA, I do not know if he is an international. (this isnt meant to be a personal comment on any of those players).

The 'magic bullet' to all young academy players from under 9's to under 21's is development, which takes skilled coaching and a club policy of opportunity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here