Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New season=New Beginning

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
BE CAREFUL
she can hold a football conversation with most blokes, knows players and has what I would consider good and well considered views on most aspects of the game that even surprised me when we first met.
we went to a wedding not long after I met her and she put me to shame while holding a chat about MU, the guys in that conversation gave me the look that said exactly what you just have.
it is very annoying when I get into a rant about the Albion and she comes up with something extremely sensible, which normally puts the whole thing into perspective
She has never been to an Albion game mind you .................simply because she does not like crowds ...thats her excuse anyway

Be careful of what? She never goes to any games, so we're never likely to meet and have her dazzle me with her football knowledge.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The Burke out posters always seem to forget that while he did bring in Obika, Lita etc. He also brought in Ince and Solly March. He has done a pretty good job with the younger players and without knowing budgets, who was available, and what Oscar etc asked for, it's hard to know whether any or all of the loan signings have been bad ones...

As to whether Garcia stays or goes I think it's really a job for the board. The football has been poor but I think the team peaked the season before and requires a complete rebuilding job. Whether Garcia is the man for that will depend a lot on the internal view of the season and whether they feel he is responsible for the position and performances of late...

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
I will keep it quick...

We aren't getting into the play offs this season- We don't score enough goals

Oscar & Jones are NOT right for the club- square pegs in round holes all over the place, especially with team selection, team motivation and tactics

We need to cut out some of the dead wood and this does inc semi regulars this season

(Here's the controversial part)

Kemy- bone idol
Hoskins-Always injured
Orlandi-Always injured
Buckley-Love him but a liability as always injured
Brez- Not sure I have got over that performance v Hull yet
TK- I think he maybe leaving anyway by the sounds of things

New blood is needed to replace the above

I would love to see an established management duo in place of OG & NJ. A team who knows British football and maybe even someone who has been part of our club previously (which ever style I don't care) Its about results and we need leaders with presence and some fire in their belly to get the team playing and up for it for every game.

Its critical we get some new players in who are hungry to do well for us, a good solid pre season at our shiny new training ground, with a new management team in place would set us up for a good push for promotion next season when I feel we will be realistically challenging.

I know I will be shot down for this as there will be massive divided opinion on my points but what do you think?

Dont think you are miles away - i'm not sure whether Oscar & Jones should be given next season though?, however the squad needs a major shakeup and i reckon i would let the following players go or sell them if under contract:

Kuz - Think we can get just a good keeper in if he goes, distribution v poor
Casper & Brez - Release

Bruno - Release - a liability - we need younger blood in defense
Greer/Upson - Would sell or release one of them and give Dunk a go
Ward - Sign up
Calde - Keep as a good squad player

Andrews - No thanks - no better than we already have - baffled why we got him in the 1st place when Bolton didnt rate him!
Kemy - Would give him a pre-season and see how he goes - think he's a quality act but if not sell before August transfer window
Crofts - Not sure if i would renew his contract- think we can get better
Lopez - Release
Orlandi - Release - injury prone
JFC - Release - not good enough for Champ

Hoskins - Release - not good enough when fit anyhow
CMS - Sell if we get £1.5m+
Ulloa - Would be tempted to sell if we got a really good offer £6m?
Buckley - Would be tempted to sell if we got a reasonable offer - injury prone
Kez - Offer new deal

A wholesale clearout is needed and let Oscar bring in his own players

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ward was a good solid signing too. Stephens looks like being a good player as well. The development squad keeper Walton is apparently a good prospect. Lingard and Rodriguez could also be important players for the rest of the season as well.
Why does Burke get hammered for players like Obika and Lita but not praised for the good players that have come in? Seems to be a lot of double standards going on.

Walton was a Warren Aspinall reccomendation I think that you will find, as per Radio Sussex.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Be careful of what? She never goes to any games, so we're never likely to meet and have her dazzle me with her football knowledge.

and I doubt she would speak to someone as rude as you anyway

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
BE CAREFUL
she can hold a football conversation with most blokes, knows players and has what I would consider good and well considered views on most aspects of the game that even surprised me when we first met.
we went to a wedding not long after I met her and she put me to shame while holding a chat about MU, the guys in that conversation gave me the look that said exactly what you just have.
it is very annoying when I get into a rant about the Albion and she comes up with something extremely sensible, which normally puts the whole thing into perspective
She has never been to an Albion game mind you .................simply because she does not like crowds ...thats her excuse anyway

Your missus statement about strikers is just so true, take out all of our emotional investment in the club and think about what she said, its spot on. Burke out your missus in!!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
My view on this season is the fact we failed to sign any players with real quality. Poyet had the ability to make a player feel wanted CMS for example had plenty of other offers and most likely a higher salary than we agreed. This is a big part of football management and if its failing then its something that needs to be addressed.

This, for me, is the crux of it, and surely a factor in Grabban, Conway and others deciding against us, money notwithstanding. Personality/charisma is so important, although I struggle to believe that TB etc. didn't see something in OG personality-wise at interview, as opposed to hiring him on title win and Barca history alone.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Nathan Jones does not full-fill this category for you then?

I was as shocked as the next man that NJ got the nod originally. Just think its a step too far for him going from Charlton Youth team coach to Assistant in the championship

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I was at Bournemouth v QPR yesterday, having also been at our 2-0 win over QPR.

We stood off, watched QPR pass the ball and won with two late goals that came against the run of play.

Bournemouth stood off, watched QPR pass the ball for 20 minutes or so then got in among them, started to push them back and put them under so much pressure that they cracked, twice. Tommy Elphick scored a fantastic header, attacked the ball and made it his. Led by example, showed passion, man of the match display. Lewis Grabban ran all over the place, never allowed Dunne and Hill to get comfortable, and was there to get the second goal when QPR couldn't clear an effort from his strike partner, January signing Yann Kermorgant (yes, some teams play with more than one forward, and sign players in transfer windows).

By my reckoning, only Ian Harte of the Bournemouth team had played regularly in the Premier League. I'm not sure many of them would be thought good enough to be in our best XI. But they sent their fans home a lot happier than we've been doing recently.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
The Burke out posters always seem to forget that while he did bring in Obika, Lita etc. He also brought in Ince and Solly March. He has done a pretty good job with the younger players and without knowing budgets, who was available, and what Oscar etc asked for, it's hard to know whether any or all of the loan signings have been bad ones...

As to whether Garcia stays or goes I think it's really a job for the board. The football has been poor but I think the team peaked the season before and requires a complete rebuilding job. Whether Garcia is the man for that will depend a lot on the internal view of the season and whether they feel he is responsible for the position and performances of late...

I saw Barry Lloyd two weeks ago and he brought in March from Lewes not Burke, Ince agreed

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was as shocked as the next man that NJ got the nod originally. Just think its a step too far for him going from Charlton Youth team coach to Assistant in the championship

NJ showed no signs whatsoever of footballing intelligence as a player. Used to run diagonally with his head down to the corner flag with no end product. Same as Nooney actually. NJ's alleged fluency in Spanish and a couple of coaching badges are certainly no sane reason to give him the job. Mind you, Oatway and Taricco are as equally a joke at Sunderland. With much the same results.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

Burke, Director of Football, we have two strikers on the long term injury list, leaving us with two first team strikers, So we sell one DS striker and send another out on loan and then, we sell one of our two first team strikers and have no replacement. Please tell me how a DoF can allow this to happen when we are sitting on the edge of the play offs. he has not been astute , has recruited premiership reserves that clubs are looking to off load and not one of the loan signings has been effective. If Ince and Solly are all that he has to shout about, then he needs to start returning his salary. His performance has been poor irrespective of what budgetary constraints he is under, because its his job to be effective within those constraints.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
This makes me very happy.

which somewhat proves my point

aha! I have just looked at your avatar
sort of says it all

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I saw Barry Lloyd two weeks ago and he brought in March from Lewes not Burke, Ince agreed[/QUOTE

I'll take your word for it. It doesn't matter really, the point is we cannot slate the guy for selective bad signings without balancing that with the good ones, it isn't a great season, but for me at least the long term behind the scenes work, training ground, youth development etc is going very well and David Burke deserves credit for that.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I saw Barry Lloyd two weeks ago and he brought in March from Lewes not Burke, Ince agreed[/QUOTE

I'll take your word for it. It doesn't matter really, the point is we cannot slate the guy for selective bad signings without balancing that with the good ones, it isn't a great season, but for me at least the long term behind the scenes work, training ground, youth development etc is going very well and David Burke deserves credit for that.

Its amazing having an academy, the way the club promulgates information on this, you would believe we are the only club to have one. remember the fanfare about Maksimemko. where s he now? Its all 'vanilla' my friend, I will judge Burke on what we do in the now and how we play, how many goals we score and if we win, everything else is a distraction. Burke is not performing, who is judging him whilst he judges everyone else, there is something clearly wrong with what is going on, on the field of play and he has a major hand in this. Youth development and the training ground are sideshows and long term behind the scenes work means what exactly?

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Burke, Director of Football, we have two strikers on the long term injury list, leaving us with two first team strikers, So we sell one DS striker and send another out on loan and then, we sell one of our two first team strikers and have no replacement. Please tell me how a DoF can allow this to happen when we are sitting on the edge of the play offs. he has not been astute , has recruited premiership reserves that clubs are looking to off load and not one of the loan signings has been effective. If Ince and Solly are all that he has to shout about, then he needs to start returning his salary. His performance has been poor irrespective of what budgetary constraints he is under, because its his job to be effective within those constraints.

I see it as the season defining point too. However, how you can decide that it is his fault without any of the facts is beyond me. What budget was left? Who did Oscar want? Who wanted to come? Who decided on Obika? Who decided to cash in on Barnes? What was the medical verdict on CMS and Hoskins being fit?

He might be entirely reasonable. But we as supporters just don't know do we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here