Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New proposed fan zone

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
This idea would be great I think, although of course we have the year round option of dry weather and sunshine. You’ll definitely need a roof.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The idea is fantastic. Barber refers to Boxpark in Albion Unlimited, I would hope this is similar in as far as it’s an ‘inside’ venue, closed off from the elements, however all those pictures appear to show a covered but ‘outside’ venue, well for 80% of an average football season that would be shit.
I also hope that like Dick’s it will be free to enter.
I hadn’t noticed this before but looking closer it does seem to be more a roof with some protection on the sides as opposed to a fully indoors venue. That’s disappointing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As someone famous once said...

"You can please most of the people some of the time, but you can't please some of the people most of the time. And some moaning bleeders you can never please, any of the time."

Or something like that, anyway.
It was Abraham Lincoln and it was fool - not please.
Are you suggesting they’re trying to pull the wool over our eyes? If so, what about? We should be told!:eek:

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
It was Abraham Lincoln and it was fool - not please.
Are you suggesting they’re trying to pull the wool over our eyes? If so, what about? We should be told!:eek:
I was paraphrasing, obviously.
I meant that whatever the club does for us, there will be some that don't like it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I hadn’t noticed this before but looking closer it does seem to be more a roof with some protection on the sides as opposed to a fully indoors venue. That’s disappointing.
that's more i think that the mock ups illustrate what it looks like on the opportunites to open it up when the weather suits, - which Barber talked about in his interview - rather than its not possible to close off when its raining like the other day. .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
that's more i think that the mock ups illustrate what it looks like on the opportunites to open it up when the weather suits, - which Barber talked about in his interview - rather than its not possible to close off when its raining like the other day. .
Thanks for the clarification

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
that Barber chat about the new fan zone where he clarifies some , but not all of the points on this thread is via the Albion Unlimited podcast on BBC Sounds where he's interviewed by Johnny Cantor. PS: He's very clear that he hopes its used on non matchdays (talked about it being hired out ) , small gigs, hoped it would have local food outlets, that they're working through safety issues (eg: flow and access by emergency vehicles etc) and they hope it have it in place for start of next season.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0gksdvk (from 33.30)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The idea is fantastic. Barber refers to Boxpark in Albion Unlimited, I would hope this is similar in as far as it’s an ‘inside’ venue, closed off from the elements, however all those pictures appear to show a covered but ‘outside’ venue, well for 80% of an average football season that would be shit.
I also hope that like Dick’s it will be free to enter.
I'm guessing that the mock ups just illustrate what its like on a sunny day and thus the capacity is extended by opening up the sides on days like that ...looks like from one of the pix that there will be shutters etc to come down if it rains etc.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I think some people may underestimate how many people use Dick’s Bar post match. I can’t remember a competitive game (bar some midweek late kick offs) where it hasn’t been full or close to full in there after a game. I would imagine most of this clientele are in there waiting for queues and traffic to die down, or Dick’s has become a big part of their match day routine which they now stick to. These people will likely transfer themselves to the new FanZone, though if it’s not warm some of the older folk may give it a miss. With this in mind, and with the likely added interest of many others who don’t normally use Dick’s (families with kids, younger blokes expecting something more lively etc.), I really hope the capacity is going to be considerably bigger than the current capacity of Dick’s Bar.
The capacity is , as far as i can tell, going to be considerably bigger. Why do you think its going to be cold or not have heating ? Don't similar venues do this ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The capacity is , as far as i can tell, going to be considerably bigger. Why do you think its going to be cold or not have heating ? Don't similar venues do this ?
Hard to tell defiantly from the sunny summer photos if it's open to the elements or not. Makes a massive difference, certainly to the oldies that stake their claim earlydoors to the tables in Dick's Bar and sit in the warm for hours. Also quite important to know for the rest of us how the structure would work when it's blowing a gale and the rain's swirling sideways

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Hard to tell defiantly from the sunny summer photos if it's open to the elements or not. Makes a massive difference, certainly to the oldies that spend half a day staking their claim earlydoors to the tables in Dick's Bar. Also to the rest of us when it's blowing a gale and the rain's swirling sideways
Well we are speculating - but it wouldn't make sense if it was open to the elements all the time, there would be risks to safety, electrics etc . . There must be shutters / doors anyway - what happens when its locked up. ?

Jimmy Grimble

I was working on the same assumption as others on this thread who noticed the pictures made it seem as if it may be open to the elements.

Great news if the capacity is going to be considerably bigger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here