Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New process for electoral register

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
rather than being cynical, one might think this is in response to the large fraud going on in some constituencies that have an awful lot of voters living in one address.

having said that, i don't think I could provide 4 proofs of address sans utility bills. or indeed with them, everyone wants to go online billing now i think i only get 1 savings account and DVLA in the post now.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It looks like it may just be at random. If 80% are transferred automatically then they're probably asking a certain percentage. But if they do ask someone who hasn't got the right identification, they're effectively disenfranchised - it's not a good idea

There is nothing random, if your details match then you are OK. Have you moved address since last contacting DWP / do you use differing names ? etc etc

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The other thing that's strange is that the documents have to bear my full name; none of my bills or bank statements do, they have first name and surname (some have a middle initial) but none have all my forenames. How many people have utility bills sent in all their names. It does seem to be designed to put people off voting
EDIT: Phoned them and found out that my passport is good enough. What seems to have caused the confusion is that I use my middle name, not my first one. That's been the case for 30 years, so don't know why it's a problem now
My letter from the local council says I've been transferred over ok to the new database and need to do nothing. It mentions at the bottom of the letter that friends or relatives may receive a letter asking for additional info citing a change of address or personal details. As this is B&HCC we're talking about I'm wondering if the title of Mr or Mrs or Miss has been erroneously entered as Mx (for Transgenders) ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is nothing random, if your details match then you are OK. Have you moved address since last contacting DWP / do you use differing names ? etc etc

As mentioned above, I use my middle name rather than my first one. But that's been the case for 30 years - don't see why it's a problem now

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
As mentioned above, I use my middle name rather than my first one. But that's been the case for 30 years - don't see why it's a problem now

You might not be able to remember but did the yearly electoral check form you have to sign every year list your full name ? If it did then the council would have seen a mismatch with HMRC / DWP / Council Tax records.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
You might not be able to remember but did the yearly electoral check form you have to sign every year list your full name ? If it did then the council would have seen a mismatch with HMRC / DWP / Council Tax records.

Quite correct, however it is the Government that is doing all this, local councils are just administering it (taking the flak)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here