Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Manager

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Oscar has got more chance of being blessed by the pope than he has of getting the Albion promoted, he lacks passion and ideas as well as being tactically incompetant .If Tony really seeks promotion who shouild he apoint as our manger for next season.:albion2:
i am happy with oscar so you can do one

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I'm perfectly happy with the manager we have, thank you.

On the subject of Guardiola, if you put him in a situation of moving to a new country and a whole new club, taking over in a mire of controversy and then spending the majority of the season having his key players ripped away by injury one at a time, I doubt even he would have pissed this league.

Doh. Well Guardiola has moved to a new country and won that domestic league already. Don't know about Bayern's injury problems, but there has been the odd behind the scene rumble (poaching players from their main rivals, the head honcho in stir for tax evasion. But this is of nothing to the loss of Craig Mackail Smith and Gus dynamiting the Amex and machine gunning the rest of the squad.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Doh. Well Guardiola has moved to a new country and won that domestic league already. Don't know about Bayern's injury problems, but there has been the odd behind the scene rumble (poaching players from their main rivals, the head honcho in stir for tax evasion. But this is of nothing to the loss of Craig Mackail Smith and Gus dynamiting the Amex and machine gunning the rest of the squad.

With no disrespect to the Bundesliga, the Championship is far more competitive a league - Bayern are unbeaten for 52 consecutive games at this point under various managers, no Championship team is ever going to get even halfway to that mark.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Ok the last couple of results haven't been what we hoped for - but no need to panic, just yet.

Oscar hasn't had a whole season with us or even had the luxury of a near fit squad. Many key players have been out with for long term injuries. He hasn't been given the same budget as some rivals to spend his way out of trouble either (not that it is a guarantee of success eg Forest, QPR, Bolton). Plus Oscar isn't enjoying much luck either - who would have foreseen the current sickness epidemic or the number of times we've hit the woodwork this season? Ultimately a manager has to rely on the fit players at his disposal and hope they can actually put the ball in the net when chances arise.

I suspect there are not many other managers who would have made a much better job of coping with such problems - you can just imagine Harry bemoaning his luck every day to the media and as for Gus - well I suspect he would be blaming everyone but himself. Changing manager is no guarantee of instant success. It would be easy to overlook that Gus just had presided over a big wobble in our form this time last season, despite spending far more money than Oscar has been given. Don't forget that under Gus we also had a worse disciplinary problem both on and off the pitch.

Whereas Oscar just seems to get on with it - and most importantly we are still in with a shout for the play offs. Maybe Oscar could be a bit more animated (especially for a latin type). The important question for me is whether Oscar learns and adapts as the season goes on - plus gets a bit more luck with injuries etc. I'll judge him after next season when hopefully he's been given more of the chances that Gus enjoyed.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
we all need to get behind the manager just like we did when gus poyet came in for his 1st season and oscar has done a good job with all the injuries he has had to keep us in with a chance of the play offs

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
First season in a new country/league, no pre season, limited finances, major injury problems and only pushing for a play off place? Yeah, he's crap. Sack him. Seriously, what do people expect. It's getting boring listening to these views now.
Excuses are not acceptable either he can do the job or he can`t,

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
This Bundesliga that is so uncompetitive, is it the one that provided both finalists in last season's Champions League, or is it a different one?

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
we all need to get behind the manager just like we did when gus poyet came in for his 1st season and oscar has done a good job with all the injuries he has had to keep us in with a chance of the play offs

With our lack of strikers we are not going to make the play offs get a grip

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Ok the last couple of results haven't been what we hoped for - but no need to panic, just yet.

Oscar hasn't had a whole season with us or even had the luxury of a near fit squad. Many key players have been out with for long term injuries. He hasn't been given the same budget as some rivals to spend his way out of trouble either (not that it is a guarantee of success eg Forest, QPR, Bolton). Plus Oscar isn't enjoying much luck either - who would have foreseen the current sickness epidemic or the number of times we've hit the woodwork this season? Ultimately a manager has to rely on the fit players at his disposal and hope they can actually put the ball in the net when chances arise.

I suspect there are not many other managers who would have made a much better job of coping with such problems - you can just imagine Harry bemoaning his luck every day to the media and as for Gus - well I suspect he would be blaming everyone but himself. Changing manager is no guarantee of instant success. It would be easy to overlook that Gus just had presided over a big wobble in our form this time last season, despite spending far more money than Oscar has been given. Don't forget that under Gus we also had a worse disciplinary problem both on and off the pitch.

Whereas Oscar just seems to get on with it - and most importantly we are still in with a shout for the play offs. Maybe Oscar could be a bit more animated (especially for a latin type). The important question for me is whether Oscar learns and adapts as the season goes on - plus gets a bit more luck with injuries etc. I'll judge him after next season when hopefully he's been given more of the chances that Gus enjoyed.

Point by point: Gus didn't enjoy the luxury of a full season. We were in danger of relegation when he came in. And so that I don't get accused of pro-Gus bias, nor did Russell Slade, Steve Gritt or any other manager who staved off relegation.

To quote (or probably mis-quote) Arnold Palmer "Isn't it funny the harder I practice the luckier I get". Is Oscar unlucky. Shit happens. Or when the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

There is a difference between using the media for a platform to express concerns and actually getting on with sorting the problems out. Oscar Garcia is barely known here (unlike Poyet who had played in the Premiership), his English ain't great and he has the charisma of a soggy lettuce leaf. So Sky Sports aren't going to be standing around waiting to bung a microphone in front of him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Palace and Southampton succceded in their bid for promotion,proves my point really,Letting Murrey go has cost Tony our club hundres of millions of pounds in lost revenue from the premier league

Where is the proof that Murray would have scored as many for us playing the Gus way. There are many examples of players not able to produce for 1 club and being a sensation for others eg Vokes at the moment.

Apr 17, 2011
Shoreham
Oscar has got more chance of being blessed by the pope than he has of getting the Albion promoted, he lacks passion and ideas as well as being tactically incompetant .If Tony really seeks promotion who shouild he apoint as our manger for next season.:albion2:

I suggest you go and exfoliate your man bits, as something is obviously troubling you.

Jam

Jan 19, 2012
Excuses are not acceptable either he can do the job or he can`t,

No excuses. My point is that he's doing a pretty good job considering the problems that he's had.

I think your point is that we are not scoring enough. I think we all agree with that, but what would you suggest? We could do a QPR and spend money that we don't have on loads of strikers, putting us in crippling debt and possibly putting us out of business?? Did you not learn from our recent history? Or have you only recently started supporting the Albion?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Given all the constraints that Oscar is having to contend with only serves to underline what a great chance we had last season, and how Gus blew it.

When I look at how this season is unfolding I can't help but feel more angry at Gus - rather than unhappy with Oscar, who wouldn't be here now if Gus had done his job properly.

Oscar is doing a remarkable (but not perfect) job, all things considered.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
How many years has he been in English football ? A lot more than Senor Garcia who just stepped off of Easyjet last July for the 1st time

Playing is very different to managing, and he has never previously managed in the Championship.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Where is the proof that Murray would have scored as many for us playing the Gus way. There are many examples of players not able to produce for 1 club and being a sensation for others eg Vokes at the moment.
Get real if we had kept Murrey the Albion would be in the Premier league we all know that, even Tony is kicking himself.Glen scored enough goals to get us promoted playing thegus way, he would have taken us to the premier league.But that is now a pipe dream

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here